PDA

View Full Version : Used Garmin panel mount GPS

Two_dogs
28th Mar 2007, 14:46
G'day

I've been wanting to buy a used Garmin GNS-430 and have been told by Australian suppliers that Garmin will only ship factory re-manufactured/overhauled units to Australian dealers and are not available elsewhere. Garmin used to have a factory overhauled outlet on their website, but it appears to have disappeared.

I've seen a few on EBay for around the US$5000 mark, mostly located in America. I've also seen a few advertised on the Ali-baba site mostly located in Singapore or Indonesia at unbelievably low prices.

All of these second hand units are advertised as Garmin overhauled/warranted/certified. I believe there may be problems having these units fitted by Australian avionics companies even though they are supplied with 'green tags' or 'FAA certificates'.

Does anyone have any experience with such units. My initial thoughts are that the prices are simply too good to be true and there must be a problem otherwise they would be priced much higher.

Two Dogs

VH-XXX
28th Mar 2007, 23:25
PM me for more info with your email. I know someone who just had a reco fitted to his aircraft by an electronics mob at Moorabbin.

squawk6969
29th Mar 2007, 00:36
Just a thought...........

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=269426

You are not involved with any of this are you:uhoh: :E :=

SQ6969

Two_dogs
29th Mar 2007, 02:49
It had crossed my mind that some of the advertised units may be stolen.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. I've seen 430's advertised as low as US$2500, they must be either shonky or inoperable?

Quite a few of the ads say email me for the serial number of the unit for sale.
I wonder if Garmin would have a database of stolen units that could be checked.
I might email Garmin and ask about their views on second hand units.

Two Dogs

Edit: Just found the answer to my question: http://www.garmin.com/support/faqs/faq.jsp?faq=608&webPage=Main%20web%20page

kingtoad
29th Mar 2007, 05:11
What about a Garmin 300XL? Has anybody had any luck (good or bad) installing a 2nd hand one?