PDA

View Full Version : Breaking into Australian Aviation

metro752
28th Mar 2007, 12:42
Looking for as much information, as many websites, and forums available on Australian Aviation as someone from the U.S. could use. All help would be much appreciated.

Such as I have a U.S. CP, AMEL, IA. What kind of conversions are required down where you all are? Will they be costly?

How much more thorough/invasive is an Australian 1st Class Medical? Not that I have any medical issues, just curious?

Is there a hiring boom going on in Australia as well, I saw a few posts about it, but with many naysayers?

How hard is it for an American to obtain a Visa/Right to Work/Residency in Australia?

Thanks,

Jnr380
28th Mar 2007, 13:30
Hi metro, I'll start you off by answering a few of your questions

Class 1 medical:
Not invasive (no A**L probing) just test your EGK, blood test, BMI, colour, vision and sound tests.

Coversion of Licence:
Not too sure but i think CPL air law is one of the subjects you may have to sit.

Jobs:
Check out www.afap.org.au (http://www.afap.org.au) and check out the Latest jobs see if any appeal to you and that will give you a fair indication of what is expected here in Australia.

Visa:

As long as our PM keeps kissing you presidents' butt you will have no problem with a visa. You can apply for a work visa which is valid for 1 year and can only be obtained once in a life time. The problem you will face will be trying to convince the Gov. why you should stay here (after the expiry of the visa) and i think you will need either a sponsoring company or basically get married!

Check out http://www.immi.gov.au/ this should answer most of your questions

jnr380

metro752
28th Mar 2007, 15:28
Thanks very much for the information!

What do you mean by, have to sit for aviation law, just take the course?

Is there a website similar to airlinepilotcentral.com for australia, as well as climbto350.com?

Thanks very much for the AFAP website.

Found the Law Exam on the CASA site.

Conversion of overseas licences

As a general rule, pilots seeking to convert a foreign licence to an Australian flight crew licence must pass a Flight Rules and Air Law written examination/s (http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/exams/cyber/convexam.htm) and a flight test as well as obtain an Australian medical certificate. The conversion of a rating (http://www.casa.gov.au/manuals/regulate/fcl/010r0401.pdf), such as for instrument or night flying, usually involves an additional exam and/or flight test. The examinations/tests mentioned must be completed with a person/persons approved by CASA. This means that tests can only be conducted in Australia.
Refer to the 'Guidelines' documents at the top of this page for more information.

mjbow2
29th Mar 2007, 01:16
Some things to consider Metro752.

Australian pilots (chief pilots) generally, hold American licensed pilots in low regard compared to Australian licensed pilots. From my experience there is a general attitude of condescension towards the US licences and flying experience.

Every airline in Australia put together have less aircraft than Southwest Airlines have. More private aircraft fly to Oshkosh every year than we have on our entire civil register. Our biggest airline Qantas, have less pilots than Air Wisconsin. As you can see, any news of a hiring boom you may have heard should be put into perspective!

And finally, if you are looking for a flying career by coming to Australia then you may as well don the shumagg and search for Mecca in Tel Aviv. Otherwise, if you are coming to find a great place to live, then go to night school get an accounting degree and come on over, we would love to have you here.

MJB

(If you want any other info regarding the lic conversion etc, then feel free to PM me.)

metro752
29th Mar 2007, 02:04
I'm looking to experience the world. I kind of gathered that aviation in Australia was rather small in comparison to the insane amount we have here in the U.S., at the Corporate and Regional levels alone. I never heard of an Australian hiring boom, that wasn't a motivation at all.

Not to sound naive, but I would hope to be judged on my skills rather than the stereotype American Cowboy Aviator, if I ever have the opportunity to make a life down in Australia. It is quite the opposite here, we hold you, and the Limeys to a rather high regard when you come over to get ATP add ons, etc.

Thanks for the reply though :D I may take you up on your offer for the information on conversions, etc.

Also, again on the equivalence of grade 12 Australia, and a US HS Diploma and Jr College Associated Degree, if anyone has any information. Thanks, I haven't had time to check your .EDU sites yet, I will tomorrow though.

Fhead
29th Mar 2007, 07:50
for the grade 12 thing as long as you did surds in maths and relativity in physics you pretty much have the equivalent of a grade 12.

I have a friend that went over to the US for a while he said he could not find a company that said they didn't employ foreigners. maybe he didn't try hard enough he wasn't that experienced either

you can give it a shot mate, but there are a lot of aussies trying to do the same thing, if you get to a check flight then you are judged on your skill

also try africa i'm hopeing to head over there the end of this year with a bit of luck, I think the conversions are similar if not easier for the yanks over there