PDA

View Full Version : Great Balls Of Fire

rafterman
28th Mar 2007, 10:15
Anyone hear anything else about this ? Lan Chile crew apparently came uncomfortably close to a re-entering piece of soviet space junk last night enroute AKL
:ooh:

Sorry forgot to paste the link before ;

http://www.smh.com.au/news/travel/jets-flaming-space-junk-scare/2007/03/28/1174761528947.html

mikemal
28th Mar 2007, 12:17
I was operating from Perth WA to Johannesburg yesterday, and the NOTAMS indicated that the space debris would enter the atmosphere at about 08h30 UTC at around 40S 40E, pretty much on our track, albeit a couple of hours before we got there.

Fortunately we saw zip.

Maybe the Russians miscalculated the re-entry of the debris?

Mike

Cloud Cutter
28th Mar 2007, 20:22
I saw some sort of meteorite just south of Auckland from the ground on Monday evening. It seemed to have an almost vertical trajectory, and looked bigger and closer to the ground than your average 'shooting star'. Wonder if it was related? Probably not I'm guessing, but this did make me prick up my ears.

Capn Bloggs
28th Mar 2007, 22:58
I wonder how the TCAS would react to a threat doing 20,000mph?

TinDriver
28th Mar 2007, 23:47
Capn Bloggs.........

Something along the lines of............WTF???:uhoh:

J430
29th Mar 2007, 00:29
Blogssie old mate,

Refer my other posts about Transponders, see my point about all things that fly should be mandated to have one! Even Russian Space Junk!!:}

Reckon that would have sharpened up their "SEE & AVOID" skills just a little:E :E :E

Cheers

J:ok:

farrari
29th Mar 2007, 07:48
Came over Sydney around 7pm, my dog looked up so I did and there it was , real 'REAL' FAST. I could see it,s shape. Was just FANTASTIC. Was heading South/ West

Angle of Attack
29th Mar 2007, 10:25
farrari ,

lol yeah, that was funny,

anyway if youve been under a significant meteor or space junk re-entry, (Skylab over Fiji) Yeah there is a very loud roar from it but lets be honest the ability of a flight crew to say they were a "few kilometeres" from a re-entry object is suspect in itself. Distance is very hard to judge for unusual events like this especially at night. I once saw a rocket launch from the west coast of Yanky land and I thought it was probably within a couple hundred k's away (in fact it was 2000k away after study) I mean if your hit by a space junk re-entry your having a bad day. But I am sure it must have looked spectacular.

NZFlyingKiwi
30th Mar 2007, 06:29
It now appears that it was actually a meteorite, since according to NASA the satellite came down 12 hours later at the originally anticipated time.