PDA

View Full Version : Epaulette Etiquette

freefly_rulz
28th Mar 2007, 08:46
I want to throw this question out there, as I can't find any resources regarding this, and wanted to know what the general etiquette is out there...

What is regarded as good etiquette when wearing your bird droppings?

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Mar 2007, 08:59
Don't have your squeeze sew them onto your pyjamas as one social hand grenade was spotted wearing during a fire drill at a large hotel in the UK.http://avcom.co.za/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_mrgreen.gif

Shockwave Sam
28th Mar 2007, 11:44
Use them when you are flying passengers-they are after all for the benefit of the people in the back-don't be a pratt and cruise into you local pub or restaurant dressed in your finery-apart from everyone thinking you"re a wally its also unprofessional to see a pilot with "bars " on and a beer in his hand.

freefly_rulz
28th Mar 2007, 11:54
I agree with what you are saying, but that is stating the obvious.

Do not use them in bars (spit)
Do not go to a restaurant in them after work (spit x2)
Don't go and do your grocery shopping at Pick and Pay with them etc etc etc....

Anyone that has done that, really needs some help.

There should be military etiquette regarding epaulettes, but this obviously shouldn't be in line with pilots, but there might be some good reference points regarding that.

Anything interesting from the older generation regarding this?

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Mar 2007, 12:08
...wanted to know what the general etiquette is out there...

...I agree with what you are saying, but that is stating the obvious...

So why bother asking?

Shockwave Sam
28th Mar 2007, 13:34
There should be military etiquette regarding epaulettes, but this obviously shouldn't be in line with pilots, but there might be some good reference points regarding that

Sorry chap but don't have a clue what you mean!!

remoak
28th Mar 2007, 14:54
It's pretty simple really. Have your lady staple them to your shoulders before you commence your evenings entertainment, and make sure she applies some anti-bacterial cream to your shoulders when she rips them off in the morning...

Don't forget to clean the blood off before you wear them to work. Upsets the pax if you don't.

whiskeyflyer
28th Mar 2007, 15:57
Last month, Fourways Mall, Saturday morning, three guys, mid 20s ,white shirts and wearing Epaulettes, I kid you not. What where they thinking or did they think it was the new terminal for Lanseria?:E

On a serious note, some companies I worked for (not south african) insisted for security reasons to remove epaulettes once you leave the airport and not to signal your self out as aircrew (also normal sweatshirt etc over white shirt, evne in crew bus). Better to look like a bunch of tourists than a bunch of foreigners who if kidnapped will be worth an insurance pay out from an employer policy (ok white guy sticks out in middle Africa but we where talking S.America etc where you could "blend in").

south coast
28th Mar 2007, 17:31
trying to impress the flange is what they were thinking...tw*ts!

FO Gyro
28th Mar 2007, 18:49
Any military folk out there? Do the military guys remove their "pips" as well when walking into a shopping centre?

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Mar 2007, 19:20
Nope. But we never ate, drank or smoked in uniform unless it was on the base. Hiked home and back to camp in uniform but never left camp for any other non military reason unless in civvies. That was a while back, though.

Came as quite a shock the first time I saw a brigadier slouching on a street corner picking his nose, I can tell you...:eek:

freefly_rulz
29th Mar 2007, 10:45
Okay, so I spoke to some people who have been in the industry since before I was born.

It seems that, generally, wear your 'droppings' on an airfield, and only on an airfield. The rest of the time keep your ego, and 'droppings', in your shirt pocket.

Other times that it is generally accepted to wear them are when you need to do official business, that requires you to be identified as a pilot, e.g. filing flight plans, need to go for some official business at an aviation related organization...
or
when traveling, for example, from SA to let say Angola, where they can be quite difficult at customs. This shows the officials that you are crew, and it makes life MUCH easier when entering the country.

As for seeing people wear their droppings in shopping centres, or anywhere else for that matter....
All I can say is.... shame.... go and give the poor boys a huggy. Their moma's probably didn't.

south coast
29th Mar 2007, 11:11
Most bizaare topic I am afraid?

So, on reflection, nothing new has been said and everyone does what everyone thinks anyhow.

If you are on duty wear your uniform, if you are not on duty, but feel it appropriate for some reason, wear the uniform, if it makes you feel special and big by wearing your uniform in 4ways mall, wear your uniform in 4ways mall...

Who cares?

Fat Reggie
29th Mar 2007, 14:12
I think young women should be obliged to obey whatever someone wearing epaulettes tell them to do. Immediately and without hesitation.

Flame Lily FX
29th Mar 2007, 14:52
Fat Reggie - Have you been tripping? I will be glad to welcome you back to earth with or without your epaulettes. :-)

Fat Reggie
30th Mar 2007, 06:03
Well it's a fleeting fantasy of mine anyway. Damn fleeting.

Agaricus bisporus
30th Mar 2007, 13:52
1 Capt of a commercial/corporate aircraft flying in either capacity wears 4.

2 FO wears 2 or 3, depends on company protocol.

3 PPLs or non TRI/TRE instructors DO NOT WEAR ANY!!! (unless they want
to look real poser prats)

4 No-one, whatsoever, wears stripes on an overcoat unless they really
want to look a complete w@nker - it is very PPL. see 3 above. That is
just coming the big "I am!" to your oppos...which is saaad!

5 Crew positioning direct to/from a duty.

6 Some places it helps to impress bureautwats/minions at check-in etc
(at uncivilised airports.)

I.R.PIRATE
30th Mar 2007, 14:29
And out of respect, I will never wear bars in another pilot's aircraft. If travelling, I will take them off on enterring and replace them on exiting the aircraft to facilitate easier passage though african airports.

Only put them on when I get to the airfield, and take them off as soon as I am rid of the pax.

Oh yes and did I mention :

I get naked and then place them on my shoulders before I wrap myself up in cling film and climb onto the cupboard, to pounce on the unsuspecting missus as she gets home from work.:E :ok: :\

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Mar 2007, 14:38
You silly twisted boy, you...http://avcom.co.za/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_mrgreen.gif

Flame Lily FX
30th Mar 2007, 16:55
Welcome back, Fat Reggie, and thanks for sharing!:p

SIC
31st Mar 2007, 07:42
Used to love wearing mine at the Mall. People would immediately assume you are a security guard - and start tipping you. Handy income enhancement when you work as a flight instructor....

jimmythegong
1st Apr 2007, 16:19
Are you really that old that you can remember the pyjama incident? I am impressed!:)

porridge
1st Apr 2007, 20:16
Usual etiquette as far as I am concerned is:
1. PPL etc 4 bars
2. CPL 3 bars
4 Jet FO's 2 Bars
5. Jet Senior FO's 1 bar
6 Capt's, TRE's, Examiners etc 0 Bars (Why not? You've arrived, no need to prove anything anymore!). Grey hair etc. optional but expected.

bflyer
2nd Apr 2007, 02:44
even the missus stopped being impressed by the bars :{ ...hmmm.is it a prformance-related issue i wonder:}

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Apr 2007, 04:38
Bflyer

Time for the Batman suit and "Gentleman's Leather Appliance with Optional Rotating Flange" then...

As for bars? I'd fly in a pair of old rugby shorts and barefoot if the boss would sit still for it.

Soap Box Cowboy
2nd Apr 2007, 07:32
Wear my Bars on the way too and from work, the traffic cops never bother me when I do. Though must admit have worn them when I pop into the chinese to pick up my take away, since I still got the rest of the drive home. :}

As for short and sandles, one of the lads found out nhis boss didn't mind so he started coming to work in them, all the ramp guys thought he was ill and endlessly enquiring if everything was ok :} Though must admit not a bad choice considering the weather out here.

Mad Mac
2nd Apr 2007, 19:28
My bars have gotten me upgraded to business class when flying home for a weekend on SAA. Its amazing, they have real plates and steel cutlery and glass cups and salt and pepper (not in a packet) and a free news paper!!!! And thats not all - they have bigger chairs........

can anyone tell i fly choppers?:p

I.R.PIRATE
3rd Apr 2007, 07:35
yes, because you wear your bars in another mans aircraft.....nil respect...:E

Mad Mac
3rd Apr 2007, 16:47
I know, but it was worth it.

I'd let any Jumbo jock sit up front with me any day - bars or no bars - just no hands on my stick!!

Open offer, just bring the cheque book!:):):)

I.R.PIRATE
4th Apr 2007, 08:41
With the sex of a vast number of inflight systems managers being what it is, I could share my stick with them for a while. Until I get bored.

south coast
4th Apr 2007, 09:04
I.R, why is it a case of no respect to be in uniform while on duty when airlining on an aircraft?

We position all the time by airline, and as soon as we land, we are off to the FBO and into our plane and therefore are always in uniform.

I do take my bars off, but it is not out of respect to the pilots as more so the pax do not consider me part of the active crew?

I can t see why crew would feel it rude or discurtious? I wouldnt.

unmanned
4th Apr 2007, 13:04
Or

You

Can

Be

Like certain airlines and drive home in your fancy 4 times 4 with your bars on to show the whole world you are a pilot, Just in case they don't recognize you for the stud muffin you are.

SIC
4th Apr 2007, 15:08
oh pleeeeez - you are all so freakin embarrassed to be pilot now that you do your best to hide them just in case you may be ID'd by a member of the public as a as a as a wait for it ..... a PILOT. Whooaaaaa!:mad: :mad:
or just in case you migh tbe an a$$hole and not wait for it wait for it ....not show RESPECT!!!! Whoooaaaaa!:mad: :mad:

this thread has gotten stupid.

( I am not advocating wearing your bars in the Meat Company in fourways - you have to draw a line somewhere....but come on some of the last posts here have just been plain anal.)

Wait for it wait for it wait for it....I'm sure it's gonna come my way now....:p

south coast
4th Apr 2007, 15:58
SIC, the reason for not wanting to be identified as a pilot while airlining on duty is more due to the legal-claim culture we now live in.

For example, I have been told by airlines when in unifrom to remove bars because if we as an individual do something, (in an emergency) and a member of the public follow us and then are injured or killed, they apparently have recourse because they were following a 'crew memeber'.

So, on that reason and that reason alone, I am happy to remove them while airlining on duty, otherwise, I dont care.

I would find it hard to believe pilots taking offense for others travelling in uniform, bars included, if they are on active duty, ie. positioning.

Perhaps old school BA pilots, and the French, but thats just cause they ate French and arrogant!

But I agree, the topic to me seems like someone pretending they dont want to draw attention themselves but really wants to by posting such a topic.

'I am wearing bars, but dont look at me because I am pretending I dont want to'

Get over it, it is a uniform like any other!

LittleMo
4th Apr 2007, 16:03
I agree, I mean what is so bad about driving to work wearing your epps? I wake up, put my uniform on, get in the car and drive to the aiport. I'm not going to now put my epps on onlly when I park at ops. Same goes for going home. I ddon't see it as showing off or trying to be anything special. I'm a pilot and pilots wear uniforms, same as cops, soldiers, nurses (God bless those little white skirts) and I'm damned if I wont wear it in the car on the way to work because some :mad: thinks I'm being a wally. The guy pointing at me calling me a wally is probably some Papa Charlie driver flying for some 3rd rate company anyways who has no reason to be proud of his uniform. Like SIC says, my uniform identifies me as a professional and I'm proud of it, but you wont catch me wearing it to the Meat Co. on a Sat night.

Mo

BeechGecko
4th Apr 2007, 16:25
I agree. Someone once told me that the reason why a pilot wears a uniform (including epps) is so you are perceived as being important by people around you... which i think is true. In our work environment, because pax are generally uninformed, it is absolutely necessary that it is clear to them who is in charge and who can help them.

As far as removing them when you drive home, to each his own i guess... i don't do it because what I do in my own car is my own business, and I'm FAR too lazy to remove and put back on and remove and put back on just to satisfy others :}

A uniform should be worn with pride and I personally think that a uniform is a unit, so if you feel that you should remove your epps right after you sign off, you should actually take off your whole uniform and put on a denim and a t-shirt. Whether you are wearing epps or not people are most likely gonna know you are a pilot (unless you take off your wings and ID card aswell) so what's the difference? Are you ashamed of being a pilot?

Q4NVS
4th Apr 2007, 16:49
A uniform should be worn with pride and I personally think that a uniform is a unit

Except if you are an ex Bus or Jumbo driver now flying the Mango...

:}

Union Jack
4th Apr 2007, 19:54
:hmm: Genuine question, would be interested to hear what peoples opinions are on the issue of wearing epaulettes on your raincoat. Massive fashion faux pas, or the done thing?

Genuine answer: I would be pretty astonished if anyone has ever worn an epaulette on a raincoat! Why? Because an epaulette is a very ornamental piece of kit, usually with a curved metal plate at the outer end, and complete with a silver or gold bullion, or coloured material, fringe, then attached to a uniform coat or jacket by means of what was known as a shoulder strap. Think Household Cavalry or French Foreign Legion.

On the other hand, if you want to wear what are now known as shoulder straps, shoulder boards, shoulder marks et al, then please do so, but remember that raincoats are for keeping rain off and not for showing off .....

Jack

PS If you do see someone wearing a raincoat with real epaulettes, please take and and post a photo here so that we can all have a good laugh!

south coast
4th Apr 2007, 20:20
Jack, you just have to go to the Courtyard hotel at C de G and watcg for the CityJet crew.

They wear the stripes on their over coats and then underneath on their shirts too.

the wizard of auz
5th Apr 2007, 03:29
I take mine off when leaving the aircraft so as not to be confused with a bus driver or taxi driver........ shouldn't really have to wear them in the aircraft to identify my self as the pilot........me being the guy driving the aircraft should do that sufficiently.
wear em if the boss tells ya to...... don't if they don't care.....like me.

Union Jack
5th Apr 2007, 09:23
LOL! Sounds like a Guards' awficer I used to know who always wore Brigade tie, Brigade braces, Brigade watchstrap - and Brigade underpants! - when in plain clothes. Don't ask about the last!

Jack

PS And don't forget the WAGs who like to wear the stripes on their handbags ....

LittleMo
5th Apr 2007, 11:55
Speaking of that type of guy... Do any of you out there remember that guy who used to hang out and Wings pub @ FALA? Think his name was Andrew aka Maverick or Topgun. Dude used to spend the entire Sunday pm regailing the ladies with tales of bravery, daring and :mad: while sitting in full uniform with matching monogrammed leatherman etc. What a hoot. Turns out he had a PPL and 50hrs TT. Whiskey Alpha Charlie.

oompilot
5th Apr 2007, 11:58
This discussion proves one thing. Pilots seem to be under the impression that there jobs are something out of the ordinary and that they are admired by millions for there marvelous achievements. Get a life the job is not that impressive in this day and age. You not a 16 year old spitfire pilot going to war with 16 hours total flight time, or a company CEO earning 15-20 million a year. You just a pilot, piloting a very safe and regulated almost mass produced aircraft for a relatively small amount of money when compared to other market places. Just drive home fully clothed. The people around you aren’t that impressed, they probably know what you earn!!!!

south coast
5th Apr 2007, 14:38
I can see why you are on such a crap salary, there/their...should have paid more attention in English classes!

:O :rolleyes: :D :ok:

ugflyer
5th Apr 2007, 16:42
You all sound like a bunch of girls bickering about nothing!
The simple fact is that if epaulets are part of your uniform, then wear them. And if they are not, then do not wear them.
On my duty days, I wake up and dress up fully (yes with my epaulets) and head to the airport. I fly fly fly, come back and drive home in my unifrom (yes with my epaulets). After I get home, I take off my uniform (yes my epaultes too). What is this nonsense I hear about wearing them after you get to the airport. The simple fact is if it is part of your uniform, then WEAR IT. Simple!
And yes, even commuting pilots wear them on flights where they are not required crew. I have done it and I have been on numerous flights where it has been done.
Sounds like there are a bunch of pretenders here that try to hide their occupation and yet at the same time are craving the attention. Bitches!

oompilot
5th Apr 2007, 18:35
Now eye sea how pilot ability is judged twoday. Thank you so much south coast or should it bee South Coast? Big, huge airliners hear eye come. Let the money roll in! How silly of me, all this thyme and all I needed was good English to erne money in flying. I agree lose the bars pull out the specs!

bianchi
6th Apr 2007, 06:01
Hello Oompilot( Uncle Pilot)

I bet you that your english is better than any other language SOUTH Coast speaks( If any ?):= I think you speak the tale very deliciously for long distances !!!:ok:

Mad Mac
6th Apr 2007, 07:55
Hey! Here's and idea - FLY NAKED. Bet no pax will even notice! None of them really give a Sh:mad:t.

All they care about is if the fit did hit the shan can you sort it out.(Bars or no bars) Other than that get me to Durbs and hurry up!

Most companies require their pilots to wear full uniform when legging home on other airlines. Sit in the Spur at CT international with them on = fine 'cos ur at work about to fly.

Sit in a pub at FALA trying to get in to some unsuspecting gals nickers = FREAK!

Lekka day all.

SIC
6th Apr 2007, 08:00
There are no unsuspecting girls in the pub at FALA.

Might be some expecting ones and then there are the old charter queens.......where your bars won't help you much..

south coast
6th Apr 2007, 15:42
Nice reply ooohm...liked it. :ok:

Pux
6th Apr 2007, 23:43
imagine atc's had to wear epaulettes, o dear lord:} :} :}

we just wear shades and look cool enough:cool: :E

Mad Mac
7th Apr 2007, 14:33
ATC with shades - no wonder you need radar! can you even see that!

Cloud Buster
25th Apr 2007, 08:56
One of my first posts here, trying to bring it to a seriuos level again :)

Read a lot of discussions about bars/stripes whatever you call them when having a PPL. But what is appropreate if you have a CPL ME/IR en fATPL.
What would be etiquette if one is flying a single pilot (commercial) operation. could one wear the 4 stripes, or 3 ?

TermightJim
25th Apr 2007, 09:51
Well thats another touchy subject I think Cloud Buster. Um, in theory, someone correct me if im wrong, but the capt of the aerie wears 4 bars regardless of wether he has a CPL or ATP. Its a symbol for the pax to identify with, BUT, if you are single pilot ops you would only need the epps for the customs etc and for the pax to initially see who their pilot is. Anyone agree?

TJ

Ingwe
26th Apr 2007, 05:46
Wear bars when on duty don't wear them when off duty. When you're in the car on the way to work, sitting having a cup of coffee before you fly or even after your flight you're off duty so don't wear them. You should never be in a bar with your bars on regardless of what you're doing. If there's alcohol being served, remove bars to show you're off duty even when you aren't drinking yourself.
When was flying charter wore 3bars when I remembered to put them on, 4 bars was concidered a bit over the top. Was on Holiday in Oz recently, saw some poor new guy walking around the shops off duty but wearing his uniform and bars. :yuk: It doesn't take much to reach to your sholders and take them off and put them on again....

B200Drvr
26th Apr 2007, 13:45
Why is this subject only on the Saffer thread? :ugh: Are we such a bunch of posers that we have to have a debate on when to wear a uniform, because it has stripes or bars on it, or how many bars a CPL pilot can wear. If you are doing commercial ops, then wear your FULL uniform, whatever it is your company requires. All they are is an indication of whether you are the Captain, F/Officer, F/E or someone else, they dont make you good looking, bigger, smarter, faster or better than the person next to you, they are just part of a uniform!!!!! like a tie or a name badge, or even your shirt and pants for that matter. Spend more time worrying about yourself and not what the guy next to you is wearing.

ugflyer
26th Apr 2007, 15:26
B200DRVR, i TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU.

Why are people so self conscious of themselves and their pilot uniforms.
Gentlemen, we are aviators, and if your job requires the full uniform, then wear it. And if it does not, the choice is yours. I ABSOLUTELY do not advocate for fully dressed pilots to hit the bar and that is where I stop. But on the other hand, what the HECK is wrong with me picking up some groceries on my way home from a trip in my uniform? Especially if the store happens to be directly on my way home?!?!?!

What is this nonsense of take the epaulettes off as you drive to the airport, and take them off as you leave the airport. Are you people ashamed of your uniforms? Or do you want to be discreet about your profession? And by the way, 99% of the public has no clue as to what those stripes on your shoulders signify. So let us stop being pretenders and be proud of and represent who we truly are. Do I sense some ego in here? People trying to disuise their professions, but at the same time eager to let the whole world know about it!!!! HMMMMMM

Fly safe:ugh: maybe not

Soap Box Cowboy
27th Apr 2007, 16:14
I agree with Uglfyer. Though I think more than 99% of people have some inkling as to what the bars are. :}

If your ashamed to wear the uniform, take a hike and make room for the people that still love flying. I want a jet job and will be happy to take the place of any whiner that tears off his bars as soon as he steps off the plane. Long haul prefered :E

choppadriva
27th Apr 2007, 16:50
What are Epaulettes?

merlinxx
27th Apr 2007, 18:27
Baby epps!

Vref +10
27th Apr 2007, 21:19
Ingwe

You guy's sound like Fedair drivers..

madherb
28th Apr 2007, 07:09
Eish! I have Effriken eppal/eppual/epaull/ (well - however you spell them)

Here is how they are awarded:

Two stripes - Can read and write, can find the airplane door;

Three stripes - can read or write, can find the airplane door if properly labeled as such;

Four stripes - knows both a two- and a three-striper.

Stripes are worn at all times, especially to sporting clubs and shebeens. :E

Ingwe
28th Apr 2007, 12:09
Gentlemen, you all seem to be missing the point. Bars are not what make you a pilot. Attitude, determination and the will to fly and get the job done are more what i'm interested in. If you're so insecure about YOURSELVES and what you do then by all means wear what you want. I've worked hard to get were I am today, done lots long hours in c%$p places and am proud of what i do but I do not need bars on my sholders to show/prove that I'm a pilot!!! I don't have a point to prove to anyone about what I do and don't need their approval. I think you all need to get over your shallow ego's and realise that you can actually fly an aircraft without those little things on your sholders... Flying is a way of life but there is also a life outside flying.

ugflyer
28th Apr 2007, 17:14
Ingwe, your ramblings about this that and the other contradicted your statement about not trying to prove anything to anyone. The best way not to try to prove anything is to just be!. In otherwords, do not tell us about your long hours, hard work and the like. You come off as if the only way you will get us to respect you and your opinion is to let us know of your strides in life. Get a life because we all worked hard and still do. If you have a way you like to wear your epps, then that is your way...do not try to dictate it to others.
And by the way, no one ever said that they need the epps to fly the aircraft. Doctor's gowns do not treat patients, but the doctors do wear them. Police uniforms do not arrest criminals, but cops wear them too. The point I am trying to get at is identification is important in society. When I go to the nighborhood restaurant, I know who to summon when I need the waiter/waitress. Otherwise, I will end up talking to ten different people because of misidentification. Get a life man!

Ingwe
28th Apr 2007, 18:28
ugflyer, Correct, identification is important in society. Read my first post. Wear them when on duty take them off when off duty. Policemen, firemen don't wear their uniforms when off duty so why should we. What makes us special? Do you think that just because you fly an aircraft you're above other professions? I'm not looking for your respect. This topic is about peoples opinions, everyone has them, you don't have to like them or accept them but you are goning to come up against one's you might not like, deal with it!

ugflyer
28th Apr 2007, 20:02
Okay ,I never said we should wear our uniforms when off duty. But if I am on my way to work, which in this case means my drive to the airport, I do not see why I should not have my unifrom on, and yes epps too.
Check this; The gentleman that lives across from me is a cop, and on the days that I see him going to work, he is fully dressed with gun in holster.
Check this; On the days that I go to the gym, I sometimes run into Fairfax county firemen at the gym working out. When they show up, they are wearing their fire suits, and they then change into dark blue t-shirts with FCFD emblazzoned on them. What is wrong with that?
And where in the world do you get the notion that I think my profession is better that any other just because I choose to wear my uniform on my way to or from work?
So according to you, since on my way to the airport I am not on duty, do you suggest I drive to the airport in a pair of shorts and t-shirt and change only on arrival at the airport?
Ingwe, your opinion does not count, so I just gave you one!

4HolerPoler
29th Apr 2007, 11:20
His opinion does count bud - wind your neck in.

And get a life.

4HP

soggyboxers
29th Apr 2007, 13:03
madherb,

At last a reasoned and sensible reply to this thread :ok: :E

As for wearing bars to work, I guess it depends where you work. Out here in Nigeria, it's a good way to draw attention to yourself and makes you stand out as a suitable candidate for kidnapping :uhoh: .

DHC6to8
29th Apr 2007, 19:57
I used to fly for a nice quiet little bannana airline in the east of Africa.... what I did was put my 4 stripes next to the 2 stripes of the little black baggage loader (on his epaulette wings).... he promptly marched around bossing everybody and everything in sight.... including the Cheif Pilot!! I was promptly invited for a sitting in the hot chair up at ops.... a cultural no-no..... unknowingly I "promoted" the poor little guy to a higher rank than anybody else.... he asked me for the stripes and I gave them to him for the fun of it.... he was latter sent away for a couple of days for re-education and a good hammering down.... I felt sorry for him - the CP was a big fat white Kenyan and his words were law....:ugh:
6to8

Fat Reggie
30th Apr 2007, 05:35
Bwaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahaha------>Infinity and beyond!

That made my scratchmearse down memory lane day.

SIC
30th Apr 2007, 08:44
Another thread going nowhere----

At Cathay there are plenty of ex big jet co pilots and generally smaller jet/turboprop etc captains that are now sitting as ONE bar second officers. And at Air Mauritius I noticed the other day the male stewards wear full wings ( not half wing as is usual with cabin crew ) and up to THREE bars on their shoulders in white pilot shirts...

So who the f.. cares except a few clowns over here on my favourite rumour network..:ugh:

NW_Pilot
30th Apr 2007, 17:16
I.R.PIRATE, replace them on exiting the aircraft to facilitate easier passage though african airports

I just got done doing a ferry of a PA28 from the states to South Africa I can relate the ground handler did look at me funny when I removed my shirt before starting the engine. It dose help get through the African Airports!

Mad Mac
3rd May 2007, 14:51
I'm with u on that one.... hate the things. worked at the V&A and it was a requirement. Rather fly in shorts and t shirt or better still . . . baggies and no shirt.

I think this thread has pretty much covered the topic. As you get older, wiser, lazier you neglect to remove them when driving home. When you're new and happy to show ur a pilot you wear them anyway. Whats the diffs?

No bars in bars (or restaurants, malls etc)

Safe flyin all!!!

ugflyer
3rd May 2007, 16:14
Good one Mad Mac,

you made the most sense in here!

spoon1
4th May 2007, 18:27
Peopel people...

Do anyone of you think the lady at the macdonalds, or the security gaurd infront of your security complex, complain about wearing their uniform, with the epps and caps and pepsi proppe going along with it. No they dont....

Its their job...(well maby not their passion) but im sure i can say that its 99% of aviators passion and work. So stop moaning like girls about your uniform and what goes with it.

Just dont disgrace your uniform! Like they said no bars in bars!!!!

:ok: :ok:

ManaAdaSystem
4th May 2007, 20:32
It's been a while since I bothered to even think about removing my bars. When I made the left seat, they gave me these huge, shiny bars, and I almost went outside and rolled around in the dirt just to make them look little less conspicuous. When the shine finally faded (yes, both ways), my CP made me put on new ones. Back to square one.
I put my uniform on when I go to work. I wear it when I work. If, on the way home I have to divert for (grocery) supplies, I wear it in the shop as well. Not because it gives me a hard on, but because I couldn't care less. My uniform is not offensive to the general public, is it?
I wear it when I position as well. I normally wear a jacket, so they know who I am from the beginning. I don't like it, whenever there is a delay I feel as if all the pax are blaming me. Don't bother me, please. Don't ask me questions. Yes, I know the other airline is much better. No, airliners don't fall like bricks if both engines stop. Yes, the landing was horrible. No, pilots are not usually drunk when they fly.
I would feel like an idiot if I wore any part of my uniform to a bar, but I've seen other crewmembers pocket the bars and head straight for the beer taps. I fully understand that, after all 10 minutes to closing is 10 minutes to closing.

Foxyflyer
14th May 2007, 10:19
I am given to understand that a pilot's uniform and bars are quite the thing in gay clubs now. Sort of an alternative to the usual construction worker and red indian outfits immortalized by the Village People. Hmmmmm, now where did I put those bloody bars :}

oerlikon
14th May 2007, 14:53
The epualletes are the result of a long navy tradition, of which we have quite a few in aviation, (including terminology such as knots etc). It is simply to denote seniority on board the aircraft and in the service and is therefore a part of the uniformand should be worn as such.

But, if you go to Pick'n'pay supermarket in your uniform you will notice the following. If you are not wearing your bars you will be mistaken for a manager. If you are wearing your bars you will be mistaken for a security guard. Which do you prefer?

As for cabin crew wearing full wings? Next time i'll take a parachute with and when the s hits the fan simply hand over to the chief steward as i exit by the quickest route... doesn't anybody have a hacksaw in that airline?:=

wingisland
23rd Jan 2009, 16:09
Honest to god true story.

A friend of mine worked in ops for a bizjet company, and part of his uniform was two very thin bars, one day he had to go to the local major airport to pick up some returning pilots.

He's sat at arrivals lounge and all of a sudden a guy comes and sits next to him with four big thick gold bars on each shoulder, a conversation is struck up and this gentleman (on noticing the two bars) asks my friend which company he flies for, he explains he's in operations and here picking up pilots, he returns the question to the gentleman, his reply;

"Oh i'm not a pilot, I work in IT, I just like coming down here at lunchtime with these bars on"

Pitch&Fan
24th Jan 2009, 13:48
What a strange discussion...

If your UNIFORM includes epp's... Wear them. It's a uniform for heaven's sake. If you feel that it is inappropriate to wear your uniform to"wherever"... get changed! Why is it an issue to stop at the corner cafe for bread & milk in a uniform?

Popping into a pub for a beer after (or before!!) a flight... Probably just sensible to loose the uniform stuff and just look a like you've got bad dress sense.

PPL ... Come on people... No "uniform". Sensible flight kit may, of course, be appropriate though (place for a pen, or flight-suit in some cases, and so on).

Professional license holders on duty ... company uniform.

Wear it to work, at work, paxing on duty, and back home (or hotel). Get changed then because you probably don't smell that good anymore in those clothes (or is this problem unique to me?)

Bloody hell people, how much of a big deal can this possibly be? Why the big issue. And as for the three chaps in uniform at Fourways.. maybe they were just popping in to get a bite to eat between flights. Did anyone notice three Augusta 109's parked out back? (Possible, if not likely).

Interesting thread though...

P&F

chuks
24th Jan 2009, 17:14
The number of stripes is useful to identify the person in charge and it can also show his or her qualifications. If you need to speak to the person in charge you look for the one wearing four stripes; it is no big deal.

In the States even someone flying a light aircraft gets four stripes, where in Europe he or she may have just three.

One of my helicopter pilot friends, a talented photographer, presented me with a very nice digital photo where I was posing by my airplane. I was very pleased with it until I noticed that I was shown wearing 5-bar epaulettes! Jealousy is such a sad emotion, really...

Sometimes I would get an ID50 ticket that identified me as CPT So-and-so. One day the woman at the check-in desk asked me if I was in the army, since I was down on her list as a "Captain". I just laughed: over 50 and still a Captain, three up from the bottom? Way to go!

Vilasy
24th Jan 2009, 21:41
I wore bars when I was a ppl...I'd put them on going into places like Livingstone and Maputo just after landing, to get through the fuel stop and back into my plane without being harassed. I flew into some little place in Tanzania recently wearing jeans, and was told that I couldn't be the pilot, they tried to not let me back to my plane.

Might be worse for us female pilots though. A lot of the security grunts can't concieve a chick being a pilot, and instead would rather show off their power. :ugh:

Bucket
25th Jan 2009, 23:54
Oh my word lets stop this thread now. All the sad muppets have had their say. Move on people. :bored:

FACT Pilot
26th Jan 2009, 04:37
Just dont't ever walk into Primi Piatti in SA with Four or less bars on. You'll be percieved as the rubbish collector as their managers have eight bars... Beat That...

Choppie
6th Mar 2009, 10:02
Flying helicopters, I hate wearing my epps. But flying in dark Africa, I'd wear 8 stripes if they made them.

Sometimes it's not a good idea to visit the customs officer and he has more stripes than you. So for Africa I'd say wear your 4 stripes no matter what licence you have.

In SA I'd say go back to the 3 if you're CPL because some ATP guys might give you the evil eye. :hmm:

Solid Rust Twotter
6th Mar 2009, 11:18
...some ATP guys might give you the evil eye...

Eh? That shouldn't happen. most folks are not that hung up on the damned things. The only exception would be brand new licence holders still getting used to the idea and the more anal among the ex SAAF boys who would make you salute them if they thought they could get away with it.

Most folks just don't give a rotund rodent's rectum in my experience. However, if folks feel the need to walt about in the things to make their willies look bigger, by all means. Whatever gets your leg over.....:}

Siguarda al fine
6th Mar 2009, 11:30
As I understand crew must be easily identified as crew whilst on the apron and transiting the airport facilities, but in the Mall its not required last time I checked.
SRT I cannot imagine you saluting those tossers at C130 heaven.

Soap Box Cowboy
6th Mar 2009, 13:07
I used to fly in jeans and a t-shirt, never had any problems, always had my licence or id on my though. Even walked through all kinds of airports without any vissible ID because of my rain coat, seems in some places a clip board and walking around like you know where you going is enough to get by. :E

Der absolute Hammer
6th Mar 2009, 13:48
I never wear bars at all.
Just a high viz jacket, heavy or light weight, depends on weather and location.
Jacket has Captain written on back in big letters and same in small on port side over left nipple.
Only time it is ever a confusion is when perhaps in Nigeria, you were flying with a Commander. But then I am the Captain and he is the Commander until I am the Commander and then it becomes -'No, this says I am the Captain but he is the Captain and I am the Commander'. No airport official ever contests that sort of logic arguements. They understand that sort of thinking very well.
Mein Got! What nonsense - especially as most who wear the epallettes with such glee neglect their trouser pressing, shirt tails and clean shoes anyway so end up looking like toilet attendants at Sun City.

(but you gotta wear Ray Bans if you are a low timer. If you are old and have grizzled eyes that shows you have a lot, a very big lot, of experi)ence.

chuks
6th Mar 2009, 14:07
There is now the triskelion. Mine is the Flaming Pink Triskelion First Class in Gold with Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds, the only one ever and I guess that make me King of the Walts. I wear it whenever I am in the left seat of my 744 shooting approaches to Kai Tak or Tai Kak or whatever the name of that airport on Microsoft Flight Simulator is. Epaulettes, pah!

ARENDIII
7th Mar 2009, 16:29
Hey! All of you, get a life!
Heavens above- No wonder we get treated like........................

Der absolute Hammer
7th Mar 2009, 17:07
Hah! What? Grease Monkeys?

Old King Coal
8th Mar 2009, 05:12
There are occassions in life when you've got to admire some folks brass neck wherein I know a young man / pilot who's got four bars tatooed on each shoulder... I kid you not! :}

Ps. SK, my fine good friend, if you happen to be reading this then I've got just one thing to say to you, "HARD!" :ok:

ARENDIII
15th Mar 2009, 21:23
Can you please go to bed now.

rudder hard over
15th Mar 2009, 23:30
the Airline I work for has a policy, when in uniform on the way to work, full uniform to be worn, including cheese boards. SAAF was the same, flight caps on and smartly presented when going to and from work. SAAF's philophosy was to be proud to be an aviator, those who wern't in the SAAF probably don't have the same etiquette and felt the need to start this thread. They clearly have had no aviation grounding drummed into them by a square jawed searge installing the basics, or being chased round the hard stand by your instructor in a harvard for a slow scan....

Der absolute Hammer
16th Mar 2009, 05:02
I flew for a quasi freight compan once which used to do split duty us overnight in Belfast.
Our hotel was way out of the city. It was a very bad idea to drive around in uniform at night.
Driving to work is positioning duty? and so company time.

Shrike200
16th Mar 2009, 08:12
the Airline I work for has a policy, when in uniform on the way to work, full uniform to be worn, including cheese boards. SAAF was the same, flight caps on and smartly presented when going to and from work. SAAF's philophosy was to be proud to be an aviator, those who wern't in the SAAF probably don't have the same etiquette and felt the need to start this thread. They clearly have had no aviation grounding drummed into them by a square jawed searge installing the basics, or being chased round the hard stand by your instructor in a harvard for a slow scan....

Yeah, those damn civilians, because everybody knows - if you're a civilian you can't be trusted to dress properly! And don't get me started on how those communists/civilians couldn't even learn about aeroplanes out there in civilian land, what with the information and desire to learn all about it being freely available and all! You had to be chased around by some military guy, otherwise your knowledge and passion to fly means nothing! Sheesh! I'm going to do 50 pushups now, just to prove I'm not like them!

FFS's.....

MungoP
16th Mar 2009, 09:48
It's quite simple... outside of the a/c the amount of hours one can expect to see a pilot wearing stripes is in inverted proportion to the number of hours in their log-books.

Can't believe that so much has been written about so little.

Rotates Lowly
18th Mar 2009, 13:35
On more than one occasion cops have waved me through at road blocks where all other cars got stopped. Coincidentally I happened to be wearing the stuff on hte way home from work. Other guys wear their ramp jackets (green ones) for the same perk, especially after a few in the pub after work.

The way I see it, it's no big deal. I wear it in the same spirit a lawyer wears a tie. That's the attire of the profession. Certainly not worth FIVE pages of replies? (including mine):rolleyes:

Choppie
19th Mar 2009, 12:41
Why would you not say it is worth 5 pages? It makes a good read.

But what's nice is to read everyone's stories about why they wear them and where.
I never wear mine except at really big airports in Africa, but then most of the time I'm in a flightsuit, so it shouldn't actually make a difference.

So I think keep this thread going! :ok:

Der absolute Hammer
19th Mar 2009, 13:09
I haf a pocket sown on to the thigh front of right trouser leg for my moble telephone.
I have also had one four bar epaullette sown on to this pocket.
That way everyone knows it is the Captains's telephone-only may be answered by the hostess when ordered to do so slowly.

wingisland
19th Mar 2009, 15:31
I recently flew a single engine piston aircraft from England to Abu Dhabi, didnt bother with bars or any form of uniform in the european countries, but did when crossing the arabic ones (egypt, saudi arabia etc) and I think it made a real difference, especially with security

High 6
26th Mar 2009, 07:56
I believe very senior Captains in some of the worlds leading airlines have 4 bars painted on to a certain body part to allow them to "pull rank" whenever they have the desire. Can anyone verify this particular rumour?

Der absolute Hammer
26th Mar 2009, 14:55
Nope, that is not captains. It is the engineers because the bit between the bars is pink?

Geebz
30th Mar 2009, 06:52
I usually remove mine as soon as I leave the terminal. That said, such a process has caused me to lose them so I sometimes wait till I get home to remove as well. I place them in the same spot along with the wings and other crap so that I know where everything is before the next trip.

I never wear them into resturaunts, malls, shopping, etc. Work is work. Why would you want people in a mall or eatery starring at you anyway?