PDA

View Full Version : NZ CAA-Mandatory english test

divinesoul
28th Mar 2007, 07:43
Hi

Just heard that from july 2007 NZ CAA is going to make it mandatory to take an english test for trainee pilots(Not airlline trainee pilots).Dont know if this applies to only foreign students or it includes kiwis too.

i searched the NZ CAA website couldnt find anything.anybody has any info on this.If it is given on NZ CAA website could somebody point me in the right direction.

cheers.

ARPs
28th Mar 2007, 08:08
I think it is a great idea,

Its happened on more than one occasion when I have been flying in uncontrolled airspace and there has been another aircraft making a postion report in the same area as me and I could not understand them. Makes me a little on edge until I have them sighted and know I am well clear!!!

Also in controlled airspace when the controller has to get them to repeat there call a number of times either because the controller cant make out what they are asking for or they are not saying the read back correctly because they dont understand the controller. It is a huge time waister in a busy GA control zone.

Anyway, thats just my 2 cents worth.

ARPs

kiwi_hockey_guy
28th Mar 2007, 08:58
I to think it is a good idea, for all the reasons posted above....

27/09
28th Mar 2007, 19:58
Haven't heard that it's true, BUT IF TRUE will it be a written or oral test?

Would seem to me that an oral test would make the most sense.

28th Mar 2007, 23:56
What next?

Wiil the SIS interview your old teachers?

How many more hoops and bells will the NZCAA put in front of people.

You'll have to get your :mad: out and have it measured next....

6080ft
29th Mar 2007, 06:48
I heard that ASL are working on making some english test.
So given the quality of their exams, either there will be an unusally high occurance of questions that don't make sense (even to native english speakers), and questions with no correct answer!!

In all seriousness getting these fools out of the circuit who can barely pronounce their own call sign will be great. When I call the towers advising a student is on their way on a first solo cross country, their first questions is 'do they speak english'. every time!

Sqwark2000
29th Mar 2007, 21:37
I would have thought the current ASL exams were worthy of being classified as english tests already. To interept the question and then decide which of the 4 options is most correct (based on the wording) was more challenging than actually learning the syllabus.

An oral exam for the purposes of demonstrating English as a second language would probably be more useful.

Nose wheel first
29th Mar 2007, 23:00
Interesting points of view mentioned above.

I have to say I don't think it's a bad idea. (Never thought i'd say that about CAA or CASA or any other governing authority for that matter!!!)

Like others I have had a few tense moments when i've known there is another aircraft comming the other way and repeated attempts to get any sense out of then is nigh on impossible. Even circuit ops can be interesting.... or downright scary!!!!!!!

Like 6080ft and Sqwark2000, I wonder at the ability of ASL to construct an exam which will actually determine whether or not the applicant spleeks engrish or not. Having sat a number of NZ ASL exams (and AUS ASL exams which I might add aren't too much better) I think it might be better to get the russians or chinese to write the exam..... at least there might be a slim chance of some of the questions or answers making sense!!!:{ . Don't you love the questions that ask you to pick the BEST answer when all the answers are clearly correct or all clearly wrong. :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Anyway.... I digress.

In my opinion, a great idea...... but how it's run and administered and tested and so-on remains to be seen. Also..... will little Johnny who was born and raised in a native english speaking country be required to jump through one more hoop to get his licence or will it be a requirement for non native speakers only?

NWF

smokey2
29th Mar 2007, 23:46
Probably a way of keeping us Aussies out. Was that sex or Seex?

divinesoul
30th Mar 2007, 05:26
hi guys

I send an email to NZ CAA regarding the above and they told me this is an ICAO recommendation.And all member countries are expected to comply by 5 march 2008.

And NZ CAA will be introducing it by mid of this year ie i think in july.
There will be 6 levels of competency with 6 being the highest and 4 being the minimum pass level. Pilots who pass at level 6 initially will not need to be retested. Those who pass at level 5 will have to be retested every 6 years and those who pass at level 4, every 3 years.

Existing NZ licence holders will not be required to complete the English requirement

so i think there is no difference between native and non native speakers of english.All will be required to take the test if one wants a pilot licence that is.

cheers.

pakeha-boy
31st Mar 2007, 16:07
It may well have to be in english.......but to keep the "Gods" happy and the Taniwha away...it has to be done in Maori!!!!........

dont you know what happens to pakeha-boys(and girls) if the "spirits" over Aotearoa(the ones that control the skies and airwaves)get mad......

Geeeeeeeeeeeez !!! where have you been???...PB

Bankstownboy
1st Apr 2007, 05:28
Do I pass the pakeha test just for saying Kia Ora?

NZ06AR
4th Apr 2007, 03:50
Yea i spose u do....

Well its good those of us that hold licences dont have to worry...

NZ06AR :rolleyes:

kiwi_hockey_guy
5th Apr 2007, 01:35
Yea i spose u do....

Well its good those of us that hold licences dont have to worry...

NZ06AR :rolleyes:

Maybe some of us, should be forced to sit a spelling and basic literacy test...

buzzz.lightyear
5th Apr 2007, 05:04
with all those suxes ind sivins about ANZ will be grounded

Buzzz

gsf
5th Apr 2007, 09:47
Congratulations on your highly original post Buzzz, undoubtably it will cause all like minded convicts to be rolling on the floor helpless with laughter.

Bankstownboy
5th Apr 2007, 10:21
Alright girls, lit's sittle down now.