View Full Version : Ground Licensing Quals?

teawhite1
28th Mar 2007, 07:24
Hi all,
Hope someone can help. I am ex-RAF techy Avionics and convered to C-130 Flight Engineer Aircrew. Got about 5000 hours on type, then flew Airbus A300-B4 for couple of years. Unfortunately redundancy following 9/11.
So, am keen to see if
a) Its financially worthwhile obtaining Ground licenses
b) Current vacancy listings
c) How much will it cost me to get JAR approved? And if so, what sort of work can I chase with it?

Many thanks:)

Dark Helmet
28th Mar 2007, 07:54
Teawhite1,
Until somebody with more knowledge than me responds:
The JAR66 B1 or B2 license is expensive to obtain without some form of sponsorship. You also have to consider how you are going to satisfy the CAA's experience criteria.
Without trying to upset fellow PPruners you could try the following site for lots of good information:
http://www.airmech.co.uk/forums/index.php
Let me know if I can help further or PM me.

teawhite1
28th Mar 2007, 08:17
Hi Dark,
Thanks for quick reply and further reading info. Much appreciated.:ok:

FIMbar the Furious
28th Mar 2007, 09:40
Hi TW1

as an ex Technician you may be able to get some contract work whilst studying, again there is some good info amongst the moaning on airmech. I would also hope that your previous exp be taken into account but that depends on the CAA.

Also give the Asociation of Licenced Aircraft Engineers a go, their site has some links to agencies.

There is a shortage of B2(Avionic in old money) guys around but the modern fashion is for line stations to be manned(if they even are) by B1(airframe/engine) guys and get the support of B2 from the hanger or main base.

Another option could be to try and get the US Aand P, there always seems to be lot of work for them in the UK. My final thought is try an IFE company, Matu****a/Panasonic/Rockwell collins are all looking for B2 licensed/unlicenced staff and have bases at LHR and all the major european airports

4Prop
31st Mar 2007, 20:31
hi TW1 I followed same route as you but was unable to get a flying job after leaving RAF end of 99.With a bit of hard work the easa66 exams for B2(avionics) or B1(engines/airframes) wont be too bad with your FE knowledge.But its the hands on experience will be the difficult one as you have been 'off the tools' too long and being an FE doesn't count at all with the CAA.I was lucky after about a year I got a job as an avionic mechanic,not well paid but a foot in the door.It took me about 3 years self study to complete my B2 (someone brighter could do it alot quicker)that was about 18 months ago and I've completed my B1 also (just trying to get my Hands on experience sorted).So its possible but it wont happen overnight and of course there is the money thing.any other questions you might have PM me I'll be happy to help.
regards
4prop:ok:

Jet II
1st Apr 2007, 05:54
Dont forget that even if you manage to get your B2, its pretty useless without type ratings - so then you need a course and experience on type before you start earning decent money.

It may work out cheaper in the long run for you to get your pilots licence and become flight crew.

spannersatcx
1st Apr 2007, 15:13
With a bit of hard work the easa66 exams for B2(avionics) or B1(engines/airframes) wont be too bad with your FE knowledge
Make that a lot of hard work, it ain't easy!

4Prop
1st Apr 2007, 17:17
yes spannersatcx its not easy and alot of hard work. All I was trying to put across was that with a similar background as TW1 I didn't find it to bad at all:ok: what was just as difficult as the modules was balancing working shifts,wife and kids and finding time to study,But lets not put anyone off giving it a go it's not impossible.
4prop

teawhite1
3rd Apr 2007, 07:07
Hi Chaps,
Many thanks for all your postings. Given me a few things to think about.
Much appreciated
Griff

bwfg3
10th Apr 2007, 19:49
TW1,
PM for you:}

NutLoose
24th Apr 2007, 22:12
yup go for it Ex A tech P here now A and C Chief Eng and Nominated Engineer, just converted over to part 66 too and I still don't know what I have :)

easaman
6th Sep 2007, 18:10
EASA part 66 info is on http://www.jartraining.de/phpBB2/