PDA

View Full Version : Johnstons Aviation Training

Park n Shop
28th Mar 2007, 05:41
What's the latest with Johnstons at Port Macquarie, are they still a good school to complete a full time CPL.
I have done a search but mainly about IFR ratings, not much up to date stuff on full time CPL.
What are the junior instructors like that teach the ab initio?
I have had experience where, once with the senior instructors you need to re learn some techniques as they were not taught correctly the first time by the junior guys.
Any recent or current students please reply.

Many Thanks:)

Bendo
28th Mar 2007, 12:36
I can't speak first hand of their training - BUT - I have recently employed one of their Instructor Rating graduates and he is doing a great job.

If Ed is indicative of their work and their instructors, you have no worries with Johnstone :D

Best of luck :ok:

PennyBenjamin
29th Mar 2007, 23:53
called coast jet now, but jamie still runs the show. great operation, still the same as it was. If you want an honest indication, ask around the industry , that is the best way to judge an operator or school

the humbug is all good at JAS / Coastjet

bushy
30th Mar 2007, 00:53
Do they have any jets. There are many organisations that pretend to have jets but do not.

Wilcome
7th Sep 2007, 04:28
Has anyone recently stayed in their on campus accomodation?

What facilities does it have? Space for Parking? Only there for a month...

Cheers.

corowacomet
7th Sep 2007, 11:22
Wilcome: "...Has anyone recently stayed in their on campus accomodation?

What facilities does it have? Space for Parking?..."

Classic! Wilcome mate the "on campus" accomodation is a house in a quiet neighbourhood with a few rooms, kitchen etc roughly 5min drive from YPMQ no issues with parking......PMQ isn't Sydney you know. The only "facilities" provided (and required) are the Port Mac Hotel, the various other bars that I can't recall the names of and the beaches:ok:. Plenty of talent about during summer/spring:E! Enjoy!
The Comet.

Aussie
7th Sep 2007, 14:39
Gday mate,

Did my IFR there earlier this year, and know a couple of the junior instructors from before my time at PMQ, and a goof bunch mate.

Very proffesional and well run operation. I have no doubts in recommending it.

Good luck and PM if you need details

Cheers

tnuc
7th Sep 2007, 21:40
not a bad school compared to others but a pity about the quality and standard of their equipment.

TINTIN25
8th Sep 2007, 03:42
Well I was considering doing my multi-engine command instrument rating with them but their web site did not look very professional (sales pitch wasn't great) so I was considering going elsewhere. Maybe I will take another look at them since some have had a positive experience with them!

jsamuel79
8th Sep 2007, 03:52
G'day all.

I'm really considering doing my MECIR with Johnstons but was wondering if ILS approaches were included?
Rumor from a few mates is that they have no where to conduct ILS approaches.

Does anybody know if this is true?

TINTIN25
8th Sep 2007, 04:23
Well from what I have gathered looking at their website is that the ILS training means you will have to do the training while doing a nav to get to Tamworth (so more money spent) which they claim on their site is in the close proximity to Port Macquarie!

http://www.johnstonaviation.com.au/location.php

socks and thongs
8th Sep 2007, 06:53
But is it any easier in Syd? When Richmond decides to be hard work (which is very often) and notam their ILS off for 2 weeks you have no choice to head to Nowra. The nowra ILS alone is longer than a PMQ - TW round trip.

morno
8th Sep 2007, 07:53
Well I was considering doing my multi-engine command instrument rating with them but their web site did not look very professional (sales pitch wasn't great) so I was considering going elsewhere. Maybe I will take another look at them since some have had a positive experience with them!

Yeah, because a flying school should be soley judged on their website, :rolleyes::rolleyes:....

Did my CPL and MECIR at JAS as well as a few renewals and found them to be nothing short of excellent. The aircraft are in pretty good nick for flying school aircraft, considering they get flogged with the amount of instrument ratings they do.

morno

turnerab
8th Sep 2007, 07:59
Hey guys,

Some good info being put up here. Just another question - Does the $14000 include IREX theory or is that a pre-req before starting MECIR?

jsamuel79
8th Sep 2007, 08:32
Thanks for the worthy information guys. That certainly clears things up for me:)

maverick18
8th Sep 2007, 08:34
$14000 grand for flying part of it, buy bob tait's irex textbook(maybe around $80) and pay the $130 test fee and self study if your capable. many students however get through 3 weeks of training and scoot up to coff's at the last minute to get the exam out of the way, like wise, you need 5 hrs pic at night for issue of the rating but can be done while down there

notorque
8th Sep 2007, 09:10
I don't think the IREX is a prerequisite for the MECIR however it would be highly recommended to get it done before you start the flying.

Chadzat
8th Sep 2007, 09:17
wrong^

You need an IREX pass to be issues a MECIR. You actually need a pass before you fly the MECIR test. I dunno about JAS, but most schools will not start with you unless you have the IREX done and out of the way. Its not a super-easy exam, and it takes a bit of prep to pass.

TINTIN25
8th Sep 2007, 10:20
Yeah, because a flying school should be soley judged on their website, :rolleyes::rolleyes:....

Well Morno I think a flying schools website is very important since I don't have time to run around the country checking them out in person. GA really needs to get with the times. Having a look at the Johnston Aviation web site made me think it was like a mum & dad operation although by people responces it seems like it is a very professional operation.

How are they after your training? Do they help you get your first job in the industry?

Wing Root
8th Sep 2007, 10:37
Having a look at the Johnston Aviation web site made me think it was like a mum & dad operation...This was preciscely the reason I went there along with hearing noting but good reports about their training.

How are they after your training? Do they help you get your first job in the industry? Don't know about that one. Usually the other students you meet during the course will give you some ideas about where to look. There is often a high percentage of guys who have actually been in the industry for a while and are at Johnstons to get the MECIR done as Johnstons are without doubt the quickest option. And don't think that means the quality suffers, it just means that the aircraft and instructors are available for you all the time so you don't get stuffed around with delay upon delay.

Cheers

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
8th Sep 2007, 10:58
I did my Commercial, NVFR and ME instrument rating with them ten odd years ago, from time to time drop in there to say hello.

They offer a very friendly and personal service, the house ( on Koala Close ? ) is great accom.

If you go there and not put the work in, it will not be a nice experience for you, they train to a very good standard.

Within two weeks of finishing my CPL i got myself a job through a Chief Pilot in Kununurra that they knew and fowarded my resume to. A trend that i continued as a Chief Pilot.

They have a solid base of knowledge and experienced base of instructors ( plus a green one or two ).

Jamie makes you drink far tooooooo much on Saturday nights and Anne is great value.

Watch out for the dudes wife next door, isn't that right Pete ?:}.

All in all a great experience and really nice people, note: they do not suffer fools very well, but who does ?.

TINTIN25
8th Sep 2007, 11:02
Sounds good that Johnston Aviation are commited to getting you through your training in a timely manner. I am doing my instructor rating through a charter company/small airline and it was the biggest mistake I made. I doubt I will finish before christmas!

Never ending delays as they pull their instructors off flying training to fly their charters and RPT operations all the time. Only consolation is I might get some work out of them eventually but like most things in aviation you never know what will happen!

tnuc
9th Sep 2007, 00:52
J.A.S - Johnston Aviation Services or Just Another Scam ?

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
9th Sep 2007, 01:11
Tnuc, you are a jaded LAME/AME, why ?.

Perhaps you should be more mindful of the four qualifying criteria for defamation, you know the Libel bit.

I can post ( written ) that i think you have sex with chickens, that is ok, but if I was to state you are a chicken fornicator ( as a fact ) is untrue ( i assume ) , is classed as defamation ( Libel in this case ).

Stateing JAS is a scam, well i have a CME-IR, NVFR and CPL sticker in my logbook that quite clearly proves they are not.

jsamuel79
10th Sep 2007, 09:11
I've heard excellent things about Johnstons (Coastal) in Port Maquarie
and Ad Astral in perth where many of my mates have gone.
I've also been looking at Air South operating out of Adelaide. Does anybody have any reviews on them?

Aussie
10th Sep 2007, 13:06
Mate, ive heard great things about AIR SOUTH, however they offer a similar product to Johnstons and at a much higher cost.

Aussie

Wilcome
11th Sep 2007, 04:09
Air south quote around $16 500 for initial twin MECIR, opposed to Johnstons $15 000.

TINTIN25
11th Sep 2007, 05:39
"quote" Air south quote around $16 500 for initial twin MECIR

Now after spending all that money do they help you out with any ICUS or job contacts or is it a case of congratulations and Good bye

PlankBlender
26th Sep 2007, 13:57
Hey maverick et al, can you offer advice how to go about getting charter work to get ME PIC hours? Sounds like a great plan to me, but is there work out there for 150-odd hour pilots?

I have a PPL at the moment, working on my CPL and wanting to attack the MECIR next..

maverick18
26th Sep 2007, 20:21
plankbender

from my experiences with 150 hrs there will be no operator who will give you multi engine command hours, you sure will get single engine command like in a 206/210/airvan which is what i reckon you do, aim for a company which has twins and then the progression will be quick, espically these days..you can always pay for you multi experience through ICUS but SE command still adds up to command and gives you an appriciation for the other side of life cause when you become a multi pilot attitudes change and your **** seems not to smell anymore...thats my impression of multi pilots, some are good, most have no airmanship towards single pilots, even though most were there not too long ago.

mate you never know, i multi job may be offered to you and congrats if you can get it.

pointyendforward
26th Sep 2007, 23:01
My two cents worth: I needed a company who could do me a MECIR in the shortest possible time, with the shortest possible notice, and with the least cost. JAS was, at the time, the best option for me. I completed the IREX, initial multi and mecir in four weeks. The local training organisations (in NZ) quoted me six-nine+ months for all that! I found the training at JAS to be first rate, the aircraft were more than satisfactory for the task (everything worked. Who needs a new roll royce for training in anyway?), and the owners / instructors were all a great bunch of guys and girls. My first multi ifr job was on a reims 406 (single pilot, 220kts) and I felt comfortable transitioning into that environment with the training I received at JAS. As for job placement guidance; I didn't seek any but I know Jamie has loads of contacts and so if you are a good student he will do his best to help (bare in mind that JAS has something like 50 mecir students pass through every year so he may not be able to help everyone out straight away :). Three years on I still keep in touch with them.

PlankBlender
9th Oct 2007, 20:34
PointyEnd, what was the cost of that four week endeavour?

Thanks for sharing :ok: