PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Castle?

PLE Always
27th Mar 2007, 20:03
G'day,

Just wondering if anyone has stayed at the O's Mess at the Edinburgh Castle whilst on leave? What's it like and do they have problems with O's from other commonwealth countries staying?

Thanks,

PLE...

JTIDS
27th Mar 2007, 20:11
Last time i looked into staying there (whilst on duty) they said it was full...

Believe its a very small mess so you'll probably have to be lucky to get in, sorry not to be more helpful.

greenhaven
27th Mar 2007, 20:27
PLE Check PM's

JessTheDog
27th Mar 2007, 20:36
I got married at Edinburgh Castle in uniform....I suspect the mess is limited to HQ 52 Brigade staff or those on temporary detached duty, otherwise every man and their dog would stay there.

Brown Job
28th Mar 2007, 06:25
PLE as a local staff officer, the Castle mess is a very small mess and at present the Bde is expanding hugely. If you want to stay near Edinburgh then your best bet is the HQ 2 Div mess at Craigiehall.

NRU74
28th Mar 2007, 15:50
PLE
The Royal Scots Club in Abercromby Place is very central indeed and not that expensive - you don't need to be a reciprocal member -it's a kind of hybrid Hotel cum Officers Club -lovely Dining Room etc - try
www.royalscotsclub.com

Echo 5
28th Mar 2007, 18:02
You could try here !!

< www.scottishaccommodationindex.com/edinburgh.php >

:D :D :D :D :D

Union Jack
28th Mar 2007, 19:34
.... do they have problems with O's from other commonwealth countries staying?

Only if the officers concerned are English! More seriously, NRU's suggestion is excellent if you have no joy at the Castle. Just don't omit to visit it, FOC with ID.

Jack (aka Jock)

heavybuffet
28th Mar 2007, 20:17
The mess is indeed full. However there is a guest suite. You'd have to know a friendly aircrew mate to put in a good word for you.... :ok:

PLE Always
28th Mar 2007, 20:42
G'day Gents,

Many good ideas there. Thanks I think we should be just fine.

Can't wait to get back we've got some wonderful memories from our last visit in 03.

Of all the places the CIC and I enjoyed Ballachulish the most. Remember enjoying a wonderful steak and seeing a pair of Harriers snotting down the loch. http://www.ballachulishhotel.com/

Enjoy!

PLE..

JessTheDog
29th Mar 2007, 10:18
There is a Royal Auxiliary Air Force unit (603 City of Edinburgh Sqn) located in Edinburgh - unfortunately the town house which is its HQ has no accommodation.

The former RAF Turnhouse is still crumbling away on prime development land next to Edinburgh Airport. :confused: