PDA

View Full Version : So I read the sticky, and now I'm more confused

goldenratiophi
27th Mar 2007, 01:42
I see a wealth of information in these forums, scattered across forums and collected in stickies. However, the more I delve into these topics and read people's stories, the more confused I become. I basically just want some advice on whether this is really for me. So here's some background. This will probably go a bit long, but here it goes...

I'm just a sophomore in high school, with quite a bit of time before most people even think about what to do after high school. For I was a while I was sure I could do very well and be successful in an office/research job in computer science/mathematics. A few days ago I sat down and really pondered my post-high-school existence and came to the conclusion that no matter how good I am at math or programming, I'd completely loathe such a job. Sure I love doing math competitions and do pretty well, and every so often I sit down and churn out a program to do something for me. But suddenly now that I think about I could never do that for a living; while I find such things interesting I rarely find them fun for hours on end, and now that I think about it, I haven't been compelled to sit down and do math or write programs for a long time now.

So I sit down and think: what do I want to do that I would actually like, and not just be good at? Two ideas popped into my head. First of all was being some sort of musician or record producer, but we all know that that field is all luck (even producing), and even those who make it in can't do it for more than a few years.

The second idea seemed perfect and is why I'm here: becoming a pilot. I've always loved flying on airplanes since I went on a plane for the first time when I was 4-5. I'd just look through the window at the clouds and cities passing by and I always wondered what it would be like to be the pilot. So I get on the computer and start googling around to find out what it takes. At first what I find doesn't seem so bad: find a flight school, get a private pilot license, do some other stuff, get an instrument rating, do other stuff, get commercial license, etc. And even better, two universities I know of near me (Ohio University and Ohio State) already offer aviation programs that will get you a bachelor of science along with all your flight training up to a commercial license before graduating, and then go back to get your airline transport pilot courses! And of course, in Googling for information on starting a career as a pilot, you get that inevitable stastic saying that the median annual earnings for a commercial pilot is around $50k. Not bad, I think. I'm hoping to take an introductory flight at one of the smaller flight schools around to see what it's like.

Ah, but then I get to the actual pilot forums like this and start reading what real people are saying about being a pilot, and now I'm kind of discouraged and pretty confused. I started reading the linked threads in the sticky, and at first I get such great encouragement as "99% of the time "the grass isnt greener"" and "Whats life like as a pilot????...........S**T!" And the more I read into those threads, I get the impression that become a pilot is simply a costly hobby for which it is impossible to get a job that will actually pay you anything worthwhile. I'm not interested in getting rich here, I just want to live, and maybe this isn't the way to go about doing it.

However, a few threads later I come to the stories of people that have simply worked really hard for many years and are now piloting 747s. So is it really an impossibility? Or is it just luck? Does it all depend on where you are or when you start? Can anyone do it with enough determination and skill? Or is it a lost cause for me? I'd be willing to work as hard as it takes for as long as it takes to get where I'm going (wherever that is), but I'm sort of getting the impression that it might not always be possible in the end and I should go back to studying up for a science degree. I just don't want to waste many years and lots of money to get nowhere.

I'm sorry I just probably spewed a lot of text just to ask questions that are probably answered somewhere, but research as I might, I can't come up with any definitive answers for myself. Thanks for any advice.

redsnail
27th Mar 2007, 09:29
The system is pretty different in the US compared to Europe.
As I understand from colleagues, you'll need a degree to get into the majors (unless you're a minority of some sort) and the path to the majors is a pretty tough one.

You have many options in the US. You can do corporate, regional, or bigger airlines and don't forget freight. UPS and Fedex are some of the better payers now. With regards to corporate, there's the single owner, working for a charter company or the fractionals. Netjets USA got a huge pay increase last year.

Unless you join the military, the standard route is CPL with IR (commercial license with instrument rating) and start off with instructing and/or charter work like scenic flights etc. As you get more experience, you'll take your ATPL exams and work up into more twin charter flying. (twin engine piston or turbines).

From here you can branch out into the corporate world or the regional airline world. The pay can be a bit low for a first officer in some of the regionals.
Here's where you pick up your turbine experience etc.

Most of what you read here is Euro centric however, the TSA haven't made our US colleagues particularly happy either. There's many downsides to the job but it's important to find the work that you actually enjoy (and get paid for) rather than just chase purely "size of aircraft/pay packet" jobs.

Remember the industry is cyclical and at the moment it's in a boom time. In a couple years time, it won't be. I keep an eye on various economic indicators to see where the world economy's going. It's a rough 7-10 year cycle.

As you're 14 now then you have a lot of time to plan your strategy. You can join the military (and thus focus your studies that way) and let the government pay for your training but you might have to go to war.
If the military doesn't appeal (and it's very tough to get into) then start right now. If you live near a small airport, head on out there and get to know folks.
If there's a gliding field nearby, even better. Learning to fly a glider doesn't cost much and you'll learn a lot plus make some useful contacts. Learning about working as a team member is vital. Playing sport like soccer or social things like tennis is useful too. The reputation you want to be aiming for is one of reliability, honesty, good sense of humour and a good worker/team player.

Pick up a part time job as soon as you can and start saving the $$. You'll need it.

There's no guarantee of success but that's the same of any industry, however, not too many industries ask you to fork out so much cash to get in.
If you work hard, study hard and apply yourself then you have a reasonable chance. If you've made a few contacts and are flexible in where you go in the first couple of years then that increases your chance too. Don't saddle yourself with a crippling amount of debt so you are flexible in what job you can take to start on that ladder.

Good luck.

kuchemann carrots
27th Mar 2007, 13:12
[I'm hoping to take an introductory flight at one of the smaller flight schools around to see what it's like.]

Very good idea. If you enjoy it, a little warning...
The path ahead is hard, frustrating, can be long and costly.
However, if you are a positive person, and like flying for flying, ITS VERY ENJOYABLE AND REWARDING (and highly addictive).

goldenratiophi
27th Mar 2007, 22:19
Thanks for the responses! Do you think that within 7 years (when I'd get out of college) the industry would be better (easier to find a job, etc.)?

I'm hoping that by getting flight training through the college I'll be able to use whatever scholarships and financial aid to pay for most of it, but I'm not completely sure how this works. Has anyone else here done this?

kuchemann carrots
28th Mar 2007, 11:00
Unfortunatly nobody can answer that.

The aviation industry has always been cyclic, with peaks and troughs. At the moment we are at a peak. Some say its already starting to slow, others disagree. There will always be some who graduate and walk straight into a job, and others who will never find employment. For those who never find employment, I question their motivation, but still it happens.

So much can happen in 7 years. Firstly, make sure that you like flying. If so, enjoy attaining the licences, and hope that the industry is booming, and you walk into the dream job. If its not, ensure you have a back up plan and are flexible to to get experience , through, for example instructing, parachute dropping and work your way up the ladder. As long as you enjoy flying, you'll enjoy the majority of the journey, apart from the initial unemployed period.

metar
29th Mar 2007, 13:57
Just to perk you up a little... I know that a lot of people spend time on here moaning about life as a pilot. Remember though that the kind of people that often come to forums like this are possibly the kind of people that have problems / gripes to solve. They are only a tiny percentage of pilots fly out there.

I think i can safely say that of all the pilots I have met almost all thoroughly enjoy the job. As jobs go it's pretty perfect - you get travel the world, see the sun from your office every day, meet interesting people, and for the most part we don't work too hard!

Yes there are moments when you think why am I doing this, but that's the case with any job.

In the short-term it makes no financial sense at all. You would only invest the money if you loved flying. Once your career has settled down a bit, and doors have opened, then it's a massively rewarding profession.

Go get a gift voucher flight at a local flying club (make it an hour - no shorter!) and see what you reckon. If it's in the blood you'll know about it! Good luck!