PDA

View Full Version : Applying for an AOC

Plow King
26th Mar 2007, 10:01
Gday guys

I'm just investigating the possibility of obtaining an AOC for Single Engine Charter, and would like to hear from anybody who has recent experience with this. More specifically, I would like to know about the realities of the time taken and the costs incurred (especially the unforseen ones!). I'm not overly concerned about the Chief Pilot approval aspect as I have been there before.
I know there are a lot of variables, but I would appreciate any input on what can make things run as smoothly as possible.

Cheers

lk978
27th Mar 2007, 00:31
take a figure and a time line - double both ad in a "i want to give this up" and that will get you about half way there... :bored:

Two_dogs
27th Mar 2007, 06:54
I applied for my single engine charter and air-work AOC in November 2001. Was up and running in Feb 2002.

It was pretty well a non event. Had to submit a business plan and ops manual, sit the chief pilot interview and did a short flight test. I did have a few hic-cups due to a certain pedantic FOI, but all in all it was a piece of ****.

QANTAS it aint, but really, how difficult is it to operate a single engine charter operation?

Sometimes it feels like a large to small fortune scenario, but it's been a heap of fun and I've enjoyed being the boss.

Of course THINGS MAY HAVE CHANGED!! Plenty of anecdotal evidence around to support the belief that CASA are a bunch of *****.

Good luck, nice to see you having a go.

Two Dogs

kingtoad
28th Mar 2007, 06:27
IK978 is pretty well on the money + 10% GST :rolleyes:

bushy
28th Mar 2007, 07:05
Be prepared to work for CASA for nothing for about half your working hours.
Some years ago I calculated that my chief pilot cost me $120 per flying hour. (flying piston engined aircraft)
It's part of what Dick calls the "regulatory tarrif".