PDA

View Full Version : Buttock Cramps

speedrestriction
25th Mar 2007, 21:59
Being relatively new to this business of professional aviating I have come across a problem which was not advertised on the tin. My normal day involves 4 sectors usually 50mins - 80mins each. I find that by the third sector or so my buttock (usu the left) starts cramping and generally becoming sore and uncomfortable. You can all stop laughing now. If we are running late the only time I get to leave the seat is every other sector for the walkaround. Has anyone come across this problem before? All suggestions gratefully recieved.
sr

Loose rivets
26th Mar 2007, 04:37
Try to determine if you are causing you buttocks to go into some sort of spasm by leg tension. Is there any difference between being Pf and Pnf?

Try a small amount of padding under one side to check for back problems being the root cause. Also test for lumber support making a change further down.

Above all, right from the first sector, make a conscious effort to totally relax. When spasm loops have started, it's usually too late to coax them away.

27mm
26th Mar 2007, 07:00
Been there too; used to be a problem for me on the Canberra, which I put down to the freezing cockpit and long sortie duration. But it also manifested itself on the Phantom and the Tornado, normally during a long sortie. And now it comes on while driving - after about 30 mins or so. The cramps are always in the left buttock - while flying the cramp was continuous, but now while driving it comes in a spasm, which feels like a stab in the arse with a bayonet.

gingernut
27th Mar 2007, 09:23
Perhaps of limited use in your situation, but some basic info...http://www.cks.library.nhs.uk/patient_information/common_health_questions/question/what_is_a_muscle_cramp

3PARA
27th Mar 2007, 16:59
Sounds like it could be sciatica in which case the problem may be in Your back. A check over with a physio might help & a series of simple exercises would hopefully sort it out. Been there done that & only have occasional discomfort which the exercises sort out in a day or two

speedrestriction
27th Mar 2007, 17:44
Thanks for all the advice folks.

c4aero
7th Aug 2011, 13:23
Most aircrew seem to have problems later in life with buttock/back pain and cramp. I have found that developing a set of stretching exercises gives short term relief. They have to be fairly aggressively performed; obviously within reason! My favourites are:

- Sitting down and raising a straight leg until it becomes (a little) uncomfortable; hold for 20 secs.
- Sitting flat with each leg in turn drawn up and stretched across the other. It's important to feel the buttock muscles being pulled.
- The 'Dolphin'; lie flat on stomach and hold up shoulders and legs to contract back muscles.

The docs don't like them always, but I have found chiropractors very helpful when I am going through a particularly bad patch.

Keep Stretching!!

Bertie Thruster
7th Aug 2011, 14:56
Magnesium.

cavortingcheetah
7th Aug 2011, 17:00
Wallet and comb.

FirstOfficer
7th Aug 2011, 19:44
Sciatica... I just developed this, I suffer occasionally from lower back pain, but this last week upon return from Holiday I seem to have got sciatica, one can walk with no problems and do most things, however if I sneeze (ouch), or bend to pick up something from the flooer, lay down in a certain way I do get disconfort.

My wife also suffered from sciatica when she had our little boy, she believes it was due to the epidural, she had it for a year!!! :uhoh: