PDA

View Full Version : Australian Class 1 Medical

biggles7374
25th Mar 2007, 00:29
Can anyone tell me the process for getting an Initial Australian Class 1 Medical in the UK.

Thanks

Biggles

pistonprovost
30th Jul 2008, 13:40
Hi People,

First post here so please handle with care! :)

Im a current low houred (500 hrs) PPL/IMC and would like to go commercial but have a few medical issues and s I cant gain a CAA Class 1.

In 1999 had a successful Kidney transplant and currently I hold a clean CAA Class 2 medical (with no restrictions) :ok:

Other problem (but may not be?) is I only have 6/9 vision in my left eye but 6/6 in my right eye corrrected with spectacles :confused:

My question is.......

Does any one think it may be possible to obtain a clean Auz Class 1?

Not asking much am I.... LOL! :sad:

Seriously though I would appreciate any sensible replies so many thanks in hopeful advance.

Cheers,

Excellent forum to be in.........:cool:

Nigel.

AMEandPPL
30th Jul 2008, 14:06
Does any one think it may be possible to obtain a clean Auz Class 1 ?

I can't answer that one for you, but I know a chap who is very likely to be able to assist - maybe initially by a phone or e-mail enquiry - an AME colleague of mine who is also approved by the antipodean authorities.

I don't think it is appropriate directly to give anyone's name or contact details on here. So look on the CAA web site >> medical >> find an AME >> Cheshire. The practice is in Goostrey, and has a web-site which, I believe, has an "enquiries" facility. Hope that helps.

Just out of interest, why is a JAR class 1 so impossible ? Vision is not really a problem, and if transplant was nine years ago at least a class 1 with OML might be thought feasible. Or are you on long-term anti-rejection medication ? Possibly steroids ? That might be the reason.

Good luck anyway !

pistonprovost
30th Jul 2008, 15:12
Dear AMEandPPL,

Thank you very much for taking the time to type a reply to my difficult question :ok:

In reply to the Kidney medication according to the CAA this is no real issue even though I am on life long anti-rejection drugs, but these are minimal anyway.

My real query re the Auz route was because of the constant problems I have had in the past (20 years plus) with the Class 1 eyesight issues.

I did read in the eyesight thread some where about an Auz pilot having a Class 1 with a waiver (if thats the correct word?) to allow him to fly as PIC commercially.

Now you really have me excited when you mentioned about the issue of a JAR Class 1 being a possibility :D

Thanks for the contact clues as Im off to good old google right now!

PS Yeah Im dumb.... what does OML abbreviate to please?

Much appreciated,

Take care,

Nigel.

AMEandPPL
30th Jul 2008, 15:59
what does OML abbreviate to please?

The acronym stands for Operational Multicrew Limitation.

The wording which actually appears on the certificate is :

"valid only as or with qualified co-pilot"

Used where they are reasonably happy for you to operate
with a class 1, but might be just a little cautious if some
known condition is being monitored. In the airline world,
of course, ALL flights are multi-crew, so having the OML
on your certificate makes no difference at all.

AMEandPPL
30th Jul 2008, 16:10
This is verbatim, from the CAA web site, under "Visual requirements for initial JAR class 1" :

Your visual acuity (measured by your ability to see, in this case, lines of letters on a chart at 6 metres) must be at least 6/9 in each eye separately and 6/6 using both eyes together, with or without glasses or contact lenses (correction).

In your earlier post you gave your VA's as :

I only have 6/9 vision in my left eye but 6/6 in my right eye corrrected with spectacles

So, IF your reported VA's are correct, should be no problem !

Good luck with it !

pistonprovost
1st Aug 2008, 20:58
Hello AMEandPPL,

Many apologies for the late reply as I have been away for a few days.

Really pleased with your reply and explanation, you've extremely helpful and Im grateful for your help :ok:

Yes its correct I have 6/9 vision in my left eye (just) this was confirmed by my local optician as being so.

Thanks again for your help,

Much appreciated,

Pistonprovost (Nigel).

AMEandPPL
2nd Aug 2008, 23:32
Hello AMEandPPL . . . . . . . . . . Really pleased with your reply and explanation; you're extremely helpful and I'm grateful for your help

Thanks for that, so glad you found the advice helpful, and so glad
to hear you may fall within the required standards after all ! One does one's best to please, one tries to be helpful, and it's always nice to feel one's efforts are appreciated - at least by a few !
The really strange irony is the original title of this thread where all this agreement and bonhomie has suddenly broken out ! LOL !
Hope your career ambitions continue to thrive apace. Good luck !