PDA

View Full Version : Avionics Theft ?

Aerodynamisist
24th Mar 2007, 23:27
I was looking at this post on a US web site ( http://www.vansairforce.net/ )
and I was wondering if this ever goes on in oz I have heard suspicion of avionics techs swapping instruments around but never heard of radio's being stolen from aircraft, given the value of a modern stack locking devices above and beyond the new dotars requirement might not be a bad idea.

"Avionics Theft Alert : There has been a series of avionics thefts in North Carolina in March at numerous airports. They have occurred after normal working hours in aircraft parked in unsecured areas (not a locked hangar). These thieves are knowledgeable of aircraft systems and are removing King and Garmin series avionics without damaging the aircraft - in most cases. Please be on the lookout for suspicious activity. A complete stack of radios can be removed in less than two minutes. Check your aircraft to determine if any equipment is missing. Report any thefts or suspicious activity to your local sheriff and the NCDOT at (919) 840-5299. Ask for Steve Merrit or Tom Freeman. A good vigilance is a strong deterrent.

Pinky the pilot
25th Mar 2007, 01:49
I heard a number of years ago that a 172 parked at a rural airstrip in South Australia had its radios and some of the interior trimming stolen at one time!

Admittedly the story as related to me was about third hand so it could be a furphy.

QSK?
26th Mar 2007, 00:03
I understand that this has recently occurred at MB where a whole dash board assembly (including everything installed altimeters, RPM. MAP, GPS instruments etc) was stolen from an aircraft (PA31 or C402) just leaving the wires which had all been cut.

VH-XXX
26th Mar 2007, 02:55
It's been happening for years and will unfortunately probably continue to happen. If there is no security at fields I don't see how you can come up with a way to stop it. Some of the bigger fields in Melb have invested in cameras and security such as Essendon, Tooradin and Moorabbin which should help.

Perhaps new aircraft manufacturers could invest in more suitable and secure locking systems, but admittedly this will take a long time to filter through to the flight-line. I note the new Lancair Columbia finally comes fitted with keyless entry.

squawk6969
26th Mar 2007, 09:49
I recall seeing a little homebuilt plastic plane with keyless entry, central locking or whatever you want to call it. Saw it at Narromine I think when Buzz Aldrin was in town!

Owner must be a major geek!:E

SQ6969

Aerodynamisist
26th Mar 2007, 11:51
Thanks for the reply's - now I know it is possible here I will take more care to lock the aircraft, a shiney new panel on insurance would be great but the down time would sting the company and the de-buging would be a real pain.

squawk6969 It would be realy cool if you could get the nav lights to flash when you hit the lock button.

Squawk7700
26th Mar 2007, 12:59
That's right Mr 6969 (no relation to 7700). The aircraft you are referring to is a J400 Jabiru. It is fitted with central locking on all 3 doors complete with alarm and a remote.

Aerodynamisist - it IS indeed hooked up to the Nav lights, strobe lights, tail lights and landing light! When you lock it flashes all over once with one strobe flash on each side and when you unlock it flashes 3 times all over. It also has a sensitive shock sensor so when someone tries to open the door (or if you tap the aircraft anywhere on the airframe) the alarm sounds for 90 seconds and all the lights flash.

One advantage is finding your aircraft at night when you are pissed and wandering back to the flightline to find your tent.

The aircraft won an innovative design award at the SAAA convention 3 years ago for the central locking. I'm surprised more haven't followed suit although there are 2 other long fuse Jabs that have followed suit in Vic lately. It's more a matter of what's practical; far easier to unlock all the doors with a remote rather than individually, especially given that there are 3 doors.

Car Alarm adapted for aircraft from Ebay $50
Central locking kit on ebay $45
The look on people's faces when they see it.... Priceless.

(I chose not to fit the remote start module for obvious reasons :bored: )

By the way 6969, have you ever tried to dial up 6969 on your transponder? Give it a try... ;)

disco_air
26th Mar 2007, 13:26
or if you tap the aircraft anywhere on the airframe

so if a gust of wind came along it would also go off? :E

...disco

Squawk7700
26th Mar 2007, 23:12
Have tested for that, doesn't seem to be a problem. If it was I'd lower the sensitivity or turn it off. If something hit it like a branch say, it would go off. Exactly the same as a car-alarm. If it did go off, no harm done anyway as it shuts off after a while. Worst thing is some of the smarty-pants in the hangar tapping it every time they go past in an attempt to flatten my battery. :=

27/09
27th Mar 2007, 03:19
Heard a story a while back about a series of thefts in the US.

The thieves targeted aircraft that had just had an upgrade with brand new radios/GPS's etc.

The brand new gear would get stolen, and was promptly replaced by the insurance company. The gear would be listed as stolen, serial numbers being distributed to all avionics shops so that they could look out for the "hot" gear when someone brought it in for an install or a repair.

Very soon after the replacement radios had been installed the thieves would come back and swap the stuff they had stolen earlier for the replacement set of avionics. The "hot" gear was back where it started.

Hey Presto the thieves now had Avionics that no one was looking for that they could sell without the same risk of being caught.