PDA

View Full Version : A phonecall was made...

2p!ssed2drive
24th Mar 2007, 22:46
Reliable sources told me that the CEO of REX recently made a phonecall to the CEO of Jetstar... asking if he'd stop pinching their pilots...

Do you really think JQ are going to listen :p How many have they taken?

Keg
24th Mar 2007, 22:59
Perhaps if REX paid more then their pilots wouldn't make the leap to J*. If REX up their pay then maybe J* would have to as well. :E

Howard Hughes
24th Mar 2007, 23:07
They are not the only regional affected by this phenomenon, it seems to be shared equally by all regionals at this time, I don't see any way they can stop it! Well there is one way!

Rex have been quite innovative since their inception, will they be the first to up they pay and provide an alternative career to the majors?;)

Howard Hughes
24th Mar 2007, 23:10
SNAP!!
Oh no, I have agreed with Keg!:} ;)

YesTAM
24th Mar 2007, 23:29
I wonder if this phone call could be proved? If so maybe it is actionable under the trade practices act?

In the bad old days of the two airline policy, TAA wouldn't hire anyone from ANsett and vice versa.

2p!ssed2drive
24th Mar 2007, 23:41
Yeh, good point...

can you divulge more on this act?

greencandreaming
25th Mar 2007, 00:23
What is " collusion " in little Johnny's world , it simply doesnt exist anymore :ok:

Truth Seekers Int'nl
25th Mar 2007, 00:34
TAA wouldn't hire anyone from ANsett and vice versa.........never came into play because both airlines had good conditions and excellent remuneration.

Point0Five
25th Mar 2007, 01:10
TAA wouldn't hire anyone from ANsett and vice versa.
........never came into play because both airlines had good conditions and excellent remuneration.
And canny observers might note that one of them isn't around anymore. :hmm:

mrpaxing
25th Mar 2007, 01:27
:D reported this morning that J* Alan J might be on the way. someone wants him

dodgybrothers
25th Mar 2007, 02:02
wasn't only Rex, NJS asked them not to as well, however the CP slipped at a meeting and let the pilot group know what was going on and the practise, well, was relaxed not completely stopped. Maybe the said CP will be looking to Jetstar now.

Animalclub
25th Mar 2007, 02:02
TAA wouldn't hire anyone from ANsett and vice versa.
........never came into play because both airlines had good conditions and excellent remuneration.
Only for Pilots and Porters!

podbreak
25th Mar 2007, 04:36
JetA, when I was 6, I would have flown a jet for free...

Capt Kremin
25th Mar 2007, 05:17
Jetstar aren't going to listen, they are desperate for pilots now as evidenced by the notice to flight staff going to QF guys advertising A330 slots.

Obviously they want to get as many FO's signed up under the crap MOU conditions before they are forced to offer better AWA terms to overseas mercenaries.

jack red
25th Mar 2007, 05:26
........and WorkChoices - SlaveWare Ver 1.0 - is about to be removed from the drop down menu.

Not without a majority in both Houses it won't and I can't see the people of Oz giving the Australian Labour Party that kind of power! :ok:

Capt Kremin
25th Mar 2007, 06:04
Jack, sorry but the bureaucrats are way ahead of you. All the teeth in WorkChoices is in the regulations... something that can be changed by the Minister without going to Parliament.

Better luck next time.:ok:

lowerlobe
25th Mar 2007, 07:02
Sunday March 25, 04:50 PM

A vote for Labor a vote for unions: PM

As opposed to a vote for the Government which is a vote for Darth etc.....of corporate Australia....

blow.n.gasket
25th Mar 2007, 08:16
What, Alternative lifestyler Joyce off?
Wouldn't be doing a Bob Carr would he?
Maybe AIPA got the better of him?:}
Isn't he the same guy who catagorically told the negotitors of the JetStar/Qantas MOU some time ,when it was pointed out that the ghost command slots for Qantas pilots was already here and the old leprechaun turned around and said They never had any intention of honouring this MOU, it was all window dressing!
I wonder what's changed?

Jenna Talia
25th Mar 2007, 08:25
Can we keep this thread on the rails before it is locked! :rolleyes:

Keg
25th Mar 2007, 08:39
Oh no, I have agreed with Keg!
Resistance is futile! :} :E :ok:

neville_nobody
25th Mar 2007, 09:28
It has always amazed me why every operator in Australia thinks they can defy simple economic principles. There is a shortage of labour in the mining industry as a result the wages go up and up to the point where it actually affects economic stability in small towns.

Aviation is heading in the direction of a shortage of pilots. Partially brought on by the high cost of entering the industry and the appalling level of pay and conditions on offer.

Now why don't these guys up the ante?? Just start paying more money!!!! Yes you may make less profit. Yes you might have to put up prices however that is a fact of life. You cannot seriously expect to pay people; some who have spent in excess of $80 000, are tertiary qualified, have anything from 3 to 10 years experience in the industry $44 000 a year, then expect them to hang around for years when they can earn $90 000+ in another airline. It is totally illogical.

While REX is probably one of the better places to work and don't charge for endorsements and the like, I believe that Airlines in general in this country will begin to start reaping what they have sown over the past 7 years. If they have a pilot shortage and can't crew aircraft then it is ultimately their own doing. If they looked after people well then they will find that crewing won't be a problem. A lesson that Skippers is currently experiencing at this very moment.

max autobrakes
25th Mar 2007, 09:44
Unfortunately PAF the australian labour market for pilots is not a lassaiz faire market. It is a truely distorted market because you have an employer Qantas Group who is by any measure ,almost monopolistic in the employer stakes, so they end up with a distorted say in the equation.
Secondly, due to WorkChoices and the ability to scrap any useful and meaningful redundancy provisions you might just end up with an increase in pay come that will just as quickly evaporate come the inevitable downturn.

Eastwest Loco
25th Mar 2007, 10:15

The main reason those 2 pillars of Australian aviation are not around is because they were stripped.

Every time TN made a good profit, and evcen when they did not the Government would rip a huge dividend out of them.

Likewise when Abeles and Murdoch bought into Ansett the sold off most of the owned aeroplanes and leased the new 737.767 fleet.

Government stupidity and entrepeneurial greed account for most of the ills of the legacy carrier.

The ball is in our court, and I hink the Rat may just be realising that.

Best all

EWL

Captahab
25th Mar 2007, 12:43
Its not rocket science.
The demand for base metals is outstripping supply, common sense then dictates that prices will rise, which they have and will continue to do.

The travelling public have to pay for the increased cost of production/demand just as the Chinese are paying for metals.

Same principle in aviation, increasing population, less time, higher petrol prices etc. Offsetting this is aircraft efficiency, sardine can seating, reduction in number of flight attendants and crew costs.
Airlines such as Jet* and co then subsidise their simulators by allowing Alteon to charge double what it costs to do an endorsement.

Regional airlines need to start treating their crews as the professional individuals that they advertise and check them as instead of expecting them to be CSO's, orderlies and baggage handlers.

The cost of flying to the public has increased on average over the last few years (eg VB) while the cost to provide each seat has decreased, the result is more profits to the airlines.

Taking into account inflation, tax on tax, government fees and charges to subsidise the CASA/Airservices monster that is designed to help itself first and effectively Pilot's have been going backwards at about 3% per annum.
We have about ten years of receding pay and conditions to recover, lets not balls this up, its our turn to follow the greedy example that has been set by our leaders.

The only people making any money out of this current environment are bottom dwellers that make up the tiers of parasites that follow the example set by such leaders as Dicko by applying the principle of get as much as you can as quick as you can and then either sell it or get out.
The Peter Abeles principle is alive and well.

Its akin to Costello having a go at Rudd over the Future Fund while he "invests" 40% of it in subsidising Telstra, yep, thats a good future investment.

Rant over.... "NURSE - more of the red pills please"

Ahab

Tee Emm
25th Mar 2007, 13:49
Bye Bye Johnnie.

And let's all clap hands for a big welcome to the spectre of a union dominated Australia. What a truly frightening future.

jack red
25th Mar 2007, 21:28
Johnnie's not dead - nowhere near it !:ok:

Now let's get back to the phone-call!;)

lowerlobe
25th Mar 2007, 21:31
What I find VERY frightening especially for aviation is the prospect of a re-elected Howard.An election win for Howard would be viewed by him as a vindication of his IR laws and probably justification for more divisive policies.

A vote for Johnny is a vote for more of the same from Darth as well as the potential new owners of QF and one star and the ramifications in our jobs.

2p!ssed2drive
25th Mar 2007, 23:05
how many people have left rex?

2p!ssed2drive
25th Mar 2007, 23:16
Yeh that's all well and good but what's it got to do with a phonecall and how many people have left rex.

Start up a new thread called 'Howard Government and Workchoices' if you want to chat about that?

:*

areal
26th Mar 2007, 00:16
From what I'm told both from REX guys and from Virgin and J* guys, Rex hasn't lost that many pilots yet but in the next year or so they will.
I don't think Rex would benefit much from increasing pay rates unless they can match the airlines. I think the only way Rex is going to hold onto pilots is to offer them a better lifestyle ie. less work hours per week, more nights at home and more weekends off etc. etc.

3 Holer
26th Mar 2007, 00:59
You are so right areal. A good lifestyle can sometimes offset a lower wage.

Unfortunately, the airlines today seem to want it both ways with low remuneration and poor lifestyle. Maybe things will change now there is a shortage of qualified pilots.

tifters
26th Mar 2007, 02:39
On that note, have you all seen the latest advertising from Flybe in Flight International?? A couple of editions ago there was even a pullout guide!!
Read the language of the advertising and it will put a smile on your face.
They even tout potential for part time work!!!!
Then the good stuff is the salary is quoted at 95K pound for TRE or 85K pound for line Capt. This for just flying Q400s and 145 jets. Now of course i dont have an idea what they are like to work for but surely a great sign for the industry and maybe REX should take note. Work-Lifestyle balance in regionals will attract and keep a good number of jocks, but willl they ever learn?????

International Trader
27th Mar 2007, 01:00
When you consider the tax rate, cost of licence conv. and cost of living; not so good.

apache
27th Mar 2007, 09:24
If I could get a turbo prop job where I had at least every second weekend off and earning 70-80K I'd go for it!

at LEAST every second weekend off eh ?

where would I go for THAT job ?

Buster Hyman
27th Mar 2007, 11:20
Well, the CEO of Rex should know that ambition will always push people from props to jets so...I suggest that Rex gets a bunch of CRJ's and......:ouch:

FlexibleResponse
27th Mar 2007, 12:01
When I went for an interview with the Director of Flight Operations (DFO) at CX many years ago, he said that he had just had a phone call from my RAAF Chief of Airstaff (CAS).

The Director said that the CAS had asked him to stop poaching "his" pilots. I asked the DFO what his response was. The DFO said that he told the CAS that if he paid his pilots what they were worth that he wouldn't have a problem...and a very good afternoon to you, sir!

In the long run, nothing changes. Business runs on the principle of Supply and Demand. Your union will help smooth out some of the bumps along the way and help you when you get into trouble.

However, never forget that market forces will always rule via supply and demand when it's all said and done.

Good luck and don't waste any opportunities!

Peter Fanelli
27th Mar 2007, 17:19
Back in the Kendell days a certain asshole who was involved in hiring in Adelaide would call an interviewee's present employer and let them know you were being considered or interviewed. Great way to put a hold on any further training with your present employer if you didn't get the KD gig.

Lodown
27th Mar 2007, 20:16
Ah yes! Unions. When it's tough getting work, the call for a union is strong. Band together. Safety in numbers and all that sort of thing. When the job market gets to be a feeding frenzy, the last thing on pilots' minds will be a union. When you can walk across the aerodrome and get a better offer and when pilots will be giving less than one day's notice, I wonder how important the union will be.