PDA

View Full Version : CGI Scripts and Forms HELP

FireDragon
24th Mar 2007, 15:02
I'm trying to construct a website at the moment, (bigish undertaking for me), and I want to include a form on it, so that people can send their name, email address, and query to me, at a designate email address.

I belive that I have to link the form to something called a CGI script, but haven't got a clue how to do this. Does anybody know, or can you get these scripts off the internet, and if so, how do you customise them?

Unfortunately, I'm not that good with computers, (as you can probably tell)!

Dick Fisher
27th Mar 2007, 12:10
Your internet service provider usually provides a range of suitable scripts when you buy webspace from them. It's certainly the case with the one that I use. And to design and compile the page, Microsoft front Page and Macromedia Dreamweaver make the whole thing fairly simple to setup.

If you've never done it before, it can seem like a major task, so I'd also suggest visiting other folks' websites to check out their response pages until you find one you like. Check out their code by selecting "view" in your browser and then clicking on "source" or "code view" to see how it works.

windriver
31st Mar 2007, 19:25
If your ISP doesn`t have any on tap PM me with some details and I`ll show you how to generate them according to your requirements... and make up a couple of templates for you.

gizmocat
3rd Apr 2007, 07:17
You could always try here, I've been using them for years and they are very reliable :-

http://www.response-o-matic.com/

Keef
3rd Apr 2007, 10:35
As others have said, it depends what your ISP provides.

My present one includes an SQL database, so we have the aircraft booking, logkeeping, charging, and maintenance details all input by any of the group members. That uses PHP which requires a certain amount of learning (it's not very forgiving of errors), but is doable.

Your webspace almost certainly includes CGI capability.