PDA

View Full Version : Flying in to/out of DXB: 17 March

sandypandy
24th Mar 2007, 04:31
Been a regular PAX in and out of DXB for a number of years, always been interested in various aspects of the approaches and takeoffs but been too afraid too ask: interesting weather last weekend has prompted further questions. Apologies in advance for lack of techspeak. Can someone tell me:
1) Coming in from the Gulf over Sharjah and then banking right over the big palace in the desert, what is the typical height for the ac when it has completed the turn and is lined up?
2) Just prior to turning you always get a pretty good view of ac already on approach - typically what height are you at before the turn and at what height are the ac that are on approach (down and to the right)?
3) At what distance is landing gear released?
4) Flew in last Saturday evening (17 Mar) at about 2000 local: bumpiest descent I can recall (coming in from the Gulf) and witnessed a great lightning show. It did seem pretty close (SW of the airport?) - how close was that storm and at what height?
5) My flight was coming from London and we flew south of Iraq across Saudi: I'd say 90% of the flights I have taken have tracked over Iran. Just interested to know what the considerations are/were in taking this "less common" (words chosen carefully) route? Particular weather conditions on the day?
6) Took a short connecting flight later that night at around 2230 - experienced what seemed to me at least to be pretty bad turbulence (sitting in front, not in back) shortly after takeoff, crew kept in seats for remainder of flight (a first for me again in over 80 flights on this short route and so soon out of DXB). Can any pilots flying that night gauge for me how that turbulence rated for them?
Cheers.

EGGW
24th Mar 2007, 05:35
1. 3000'
2. 3000-2000', depends how far out they take us. The other aircraft are descening so less than the above. 5-7 miles distance.
3. Gear down at 5-7 miles, every airline is different though, and aircraft dependant.
4. How long is a piece of string, storms move. Crew probably tried to give it a miss.
5. Routes to DXB from Europe depend on winds and traffic, the Saudi route is quite normal.
6. If its bumpy, sh1t happens. We try and avoid the worst.

EGGW