PDA

View Full Version : Mighty Things From Small Beginnings (very)

Prangster
23rd Mar 2007, 19:55
Here's one the main aviation press and mags might miss. This months edition of RCME notes that the 100th anniversary of the first flying model aircraft competition is upon us. It took place on the 15th April 1907. Of the 200 or so entries chasing a first prize of £250 ( about 3 Grand now) 30 models were judged safe enough to fly. The winner? Why a 30 year old chappie who'd obviously given a great deal of thought to his entry. The flights of 60ft and 100 plus feet being highly commended. The judges noted that his model flew accurately and in a controlled manner. His Name? Alliott Verdon Roe. Mighty things for small beginnings doth grow.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
24th Mar 2007, 00:54
Thanks for pointing that out. A truly remarkable man. Although he wasn't particularly sentimental, I wonder what he would have made of what's become of the industry he was, I believe, the keystone of.

Akubra
24th Mar 2007, 11:13
Thanks for the info on him. After a google, I found that in 1906 he patented the first aircraft control column. This in itself makes him a true aviation pioneer.

"The judges noted that his model flew accurately and in a controlled manner"

How did he control it?

Prangster
24th Mar 2007, 12:41
In the accepted sense he didn't It wasa free flight model but given the swervacious flight and altitude variation of some of his competitors, his flights were a 'model' of controlled decorum. Remember that some of the 'competiton' were little more than schemers and dreamers so Mr Roes real aircraft was a revalation Mind you didn't George Caley fly models back in the 1760's?