PDA

View Full Version : Army Commission First or Pilot Training?

TheBeak
23rd Mar 2007, 09:40
I am 22, have a PPL and have the money to complete the rest of my ATPL training with Oxford through their 'Waypoint' programme. I also have the opportunity to go to Sandhurst and be in the Army for 4 years and then do my pilot training. I do not have a degree though I did do a couple of years at uni doing Mechanical Engineering. Ultimately like everyone else on here, I am sure I want to be a commercial pilot. Is it going to add any value to someone like myself doing the Army for 4 years and then being qualified to fly at 27 or am I just as well off being 23 with an ATPL? I am interested to hear peoples opinions especially from those qualififed or who have jobs............

Thanks very much.

P.S. Army Air Corps is not an option as it would tie me into the Army for too long and would get me a military helo licence with not many hours which I do not see much value in. I have passed both Royal Naval and Army pilot selection and do not want to go down that road.

Wee Weasley Welshman
23rd Mar 2007, 09:43
I'd join the Army for 4 years. You'll leave a much more rounded person and find it far easier to pass an airline interview.

Good luck,

TheBeak
23rd Mar 2007, 10:17
Thanks for the reply. In what way would it help me at the interview though? Something to talk about aside from flying or just help me mature up a bit abit and be more on the level of a captain interviewing me?

scroggs
23rd Mar 2007, 14:30
would get me a military helo licence There is no such thing. And no hours are ever wasted.

A period in the Army is a fine experience and not one to turn down easily. Four years is a very short time. Go - and enjoy it!

Scroggs

Agaricus bisporus
23rd Mar 2007, 15:06
Join the Army (or Navy) whatever you do. You've a whole career ahead of you to fly commercially but the window for military service is small. Do it while you have the chance. There will be another 40 years left for flying...Your military experience will be utterly invaluable to you and your future employers for the rest of your life, as will the memories, friends, skills and broadened horizons you will make there.

No brainer!

mustflywillfly
23rd Mar 2007, 15:21
As a serving Naval Officer (and ex-Naval Pilot) I think you would be mad to turn down the chance of a commission! 4 years is nothing and would place you in a superb position with an airline.

For example I was recently chatting to a very well known FTO because I was worried about my age (31 going on 32) and the chances of getting an airline job post training. The chap at the FTO advised me that as an ex-Naval Officer with a PPL and an engineering degree that I was an airline's "wet dream" !!! Yes he was obviously tring to sell me a course of training BUT do not underestimate how much Kudos the airlines place on military service (whether it be commissioned or not).

Go Army, continue flying on the cheap through any number of service flying clubs (RAF BENSON club £63.50 p/hr wet for C152) and then complete the modular training.

I wish I was 27 and in that position!!!

Good luck

MFWF:ok:

TheBeak
23rd Mar 2007, 15:48
Thanks very much for your time and opinions. Very useful and well taken on board.

maxdrypower
23rd Mar 2007, 16:35
Just to put another perspective on it , I joined the RAF (which curiously you havent put as an option) in order to be a pilot , bad luck saw me as an engineer followed by a navigator . When I first joined the RAF it was to fly as a pilot . Following a series of bizarre decisions by the time I left the RAF I had a ppl and nothing more . Prior to joining up I had the option to do what was then the self improver BCPL route and instructor thingy as a lot of people did and had the finances to do it . Howevere I thought as alot do that being in the forces would give me valuable life experience and make me very well rounded . This indeed it did , however I now look back and given the chance again I would never have joined the forces having been in a position to become a CPL prior to . You can do the forces for four years but you never know what is going to happen in that four years , with any luck nothing and soon you will leave and do it then with your helath etc in tact , younever know you may get married and have kids , just an example . Then in 10 years time your still not sat in an airliner , which is your ultimate goal and you wish to god you had done in when you had the chance , like me. I made a tonne of wrong decisions in my life and am now regretting them hugely , . This is obviously completely personal to me but if i were you if you have the means to did what you really want to do now then do it , in four years you may not have the option

Gazeem
23rd Mar 2007, 17:06
Hi Beak,
Sandbags is a good start to life which ever way you look at it. It teaches you to get your S*** in a sock and to plan for the needs of others whilsy completing a task.

Flying a big jet is mostly about managing these days and you will not find leadership/management training finer anywhere.

Had my "character built" by said establishment, it helps keep things in perspective when surrounded by girlies moaning about it being too hot in Barbados!

Gaz

Captain Airclues
23rd Mar 2007, 17:26
TheBeak

When you say that you have passed the Army flying selection, I assume that you mean the Flying Grading Course at Middle Wallop. If so then you have done well. As a non-grad you will spend a higher percentage of your six years in flying posts than the grads and this flying experience will be invaluable in later life.
I suggest that you accept the sponsorship to Sandhurst from the AAC. You can always change your mind later on (you are allowed three choices if one of them is the AAC, two if the AAC isn't one). However, if you don't accept the AAC sponsorship then it is not as easy to change your mind as the AAC don't like being second choice.

Airclues

Piltdown Man
23rd Mar 2007, 19:46
Join the Army, apply to the Air Corps, do the extra time, have fun, enjoy your life and then reap the rewards later in Civvy life, maybe even flying for a living. As said before, a "no-brainer".

PM