PDA

View Full Version : LAME Apprenticeships.

WilliamOK
23rd Mar 2007, 07:46
So can someone shed some lighton LAME Aprenticeships, or at least how to become a LAME. From what I've seen there is not much gonig on in the way of Apprenticeships being offered, I was wondering if places like Fugro or Jetcraft or maybe Alliance do them. Do they have thier own maintianence facilities or is it outsourced. It's an occupation I'm interested in but thier doesn't seem to be much gonig on with it. Qantas doesn't seem to be donig much in the way of apprentices either....

Some insight would be great.

Cheers.

Pathie
23rd Mar 2007, 12:04
William
I belive it's getting harder to get an apprenticeship now days through discussions with ginger beers, they recommend you do a certificate 2 in aeroskills. It's hard to get an airline app. GA is a bit easier as it's a foot in the door, places like skippers, rex, airnorth, and national jet would be good due to large variety of aircraft of the large group types. GA land is a great training curve due to Australias variety of aircraft.
Ask around try for some work experience it may help you with info and just ask. You can only try i guess.
Pathie

Torres
23rd Mar 2007, 20:21
Aviation Australia (http://www.aviationaustralia.net.au/), Brisbane.

Start there, PM me if you need more assistance.

BHMvictim
24th Mar 2007, 01:12
Qantas will be taking on a heap of apprentices next year.

Avgas172
9th Apr 2013, 02:03
Hows life in LAME land these days, are we still training anyone?, I would like to see my Grandson start out in this field in the next couple of years.
Any input would be appreciated
cheers
A172 :ok:

QF22
9th Apr 2013, 06:58
Personally after 30+ years in the industry, i would do a building trade like plumbing, electrical, carpentry.
Unfortunately aviation these days is run by accountants, they dont want skilled engineers, and have no idea of engineering, they just see us as a liability, and regretable expense.
Even if you do make it to beome a Lame, you will end up on permanent nightshift, as daytime ops will be pilot transits.
Just my thoughts, good luck with your career endeavours !

pull-up-terrain
9th Apr 2013, 07:49
I have been a lame for 35 years now (at qantas).
If I was to do life all over again I would of been a pilot that's for sure, but my career as a lame has been pretty good up until Geoff Dixon started screwing up qantas engineering in 2006.

In my opinion if you were to become a lame, try and avoid working in any sort of heavy maintenance (class c or d checks) because those days are gone(in australia).If you are working for an airline I would recommend getting licences for 737s, a320s, 717's and/or F100's because those jobs are pretty secure long term in australia and the pay is extremely good.

Qantas when it comes to apprenticeships have slown down because of all the uncertainty and contracting going on lately. But to be honest, most of the people getting into the apprenticeship at qantas are children of current qantas lame's or have done an aeronautical engineering degree at university.

I don't know about apprenticeships going on at other airlines in Australia, but in the current state of qantas I would be aiming at virgin Australia. (There is a rumour that Virgin engineers earn more than qantas engineers).

Just some more advice, when doing apprenticeships choose the airframes engine course over avionics because with the new licence system the airframes engine guys can sign off avionics work whereas the avionics can't sign off airframes engines work with the new licence system casa implemented recently. Also try working for an employer that does work on aircraft with a maximum take off weight > 5700 kg because that's where the money is at and it becomes a lot more difficult becoming a lame on an aircraft > 5700 kg if you haven't had any experience on them with all the casa regulations.

I have noticed a few people are asking what the job is like as a lame.
At qantas you usually do 2 days, 2 nights then 5 days off. If you make it to a lame, the pay is around the $140k to $190k+ mark in airlines (depending on what licences and how many licences you hold). I have a travelling engineer licence and FAA licences and I get to work in Los Angeles, Singapore and narita at months at a time if I want to and earn very good money (with all the allowances and overtime rates etc).

The only bad things I can say about being a lame is the job security at qantas at the moment and just working for big business in general.

Avgas172
9th Apr 2013, 09:20
Thanks for the feedback guys, probably looking at GA first then going on from there .

Kulwin Park
9th Apr 2013, 10:44
GA is slow too. Not many companies employing at Essendon or Moorabbin - but if you do get in, make sure it is with a company that you have googled that is reputable, and has a long standing backing of work behind them. Engineering is scarce as products become more reliable. Electronics or Radios in GA is the way to go - a sparky will always be required!

pull-up-terrain
9th Apr 2013, 11:21
Thanks for the feedback guys, probably looking at GA first then going on from there .
For the money and the lifestyle i would be targeting airlines and regionals first in my opinion. Because going from GA to airlines in engineering is difficult where as if your grandson has to go from airlines to GA (for some reason) isnt too hard. Chances are, if your grandson works for an airline, on his days off he will probably be helping one of his mates fix his cessna 172 and that way he can get experience and transfer to a job in GA if he ever has to.

From the rumours i have heard, there is a lot of opportunities for apprentices up around NT and remote locations if your grandson is desperate for a job and is willing to work anywhere.

Avgas172
9th Apr 2013, 22:53
Thanks again, the regionals would be the best option for him, we will be looking in about 3 years time when he's through year 12.
cheers
A172 :ok: