PDA

View Full Version : Which aircraft type best for a Band

N-X
23rd Mar 2007, 04:36
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could advise what aircraft type would be most suitable to hire / charter for a small band. In the torres strait.

3 Musicians
6 Guitars
3 Medium size Speakers + a few stands
Mixer box and a few other band bits n peices.

Contemplating the possibility of visiting a few islands in the Torres Strait.

Howard Hughes
23rd Mar 2007, 04:52
Dimensions of the speakers and mixer box? Also total weight? These will most probably be your limiting factors!
Cheers, HH.:ok:

sir.pratt
23rd Mar 2007, 05:03
chieftan. twin otter. islander. king air if you're rich. MU2 if you're keen.

Crosshair
23rd Mar 2007, 05:11
Don't know. But be sure to check fuel, weather, and weight and balance before you go.

Signed,

Buddy Holly
Ritchie Valens
J.P. "Big Bopper" Richardson
Ronnie Caldwell
Eddie Cochran
Aaliyah
Glenn Miller
Jim Croce
John Denver
Otis Redding
Randy Rhoads
Ronnie Van Zant
Stevie Ray Vaughan

N-X
23rd Mar 2007, 05:27
lol

Perhaps mite go by boat

Jet_A_Knight
23rd Mar 2007, 05:31
If you give more detail about the size of the PA, and whether there are gtr amps etc, drums, etc.

Even with a basic vocal pa setup, something like a chieftain is going to be too small, and you would have to have throw over nets etc etc as well as seats in the pax compartment, ie combi mode.

You can forget things klike peaker cabinets or mixing desks fitting in any of the compartments, except for gtrs in the wing lockers, maybe the mic stands too.

I don't think the change in temps will do the gtrs any good though.

If you provide more detail about the equipment, you will get a better idea.

BrokenConrod
23rd Mar 2007, 05:35
I would recommend a clapped out C402. You need to live life on the edge to give your music that special something!

If it smacks in you'll be in good company!

I am speaking from experience here. Had an engine failure in VH-BPX (ex Bushies), enroute to YBHM with a band on board! I thought their music that night was quite inspired!

BC:8

N-X
23rd Mar 2007, 05:38
I dont have the speaker dimensions to hand, but is typically standard band gear - Yamaha C115V speakers (Largest Item) and Yamaha EMX512 Mixer.

All guitars have flite cases, and thinking that yes, that only options would be islander with some seats out or something a little larger. Possibly Twin otter or caravan though im guessing the expense would be high for a turboprop

Naughty S
23rd Mar 2007, 05:42
Can use either Barrier C207/BN2, Aerotropics BN2, Skytrans C310/BN2 etc for the pax.

For the gear the equip may be a little large &/or heavy, so in that case I would contact Sea Swift in Cairns as they move around all the islands every day for the heavy stuff & work around their schedules. If they take a day or so to get it there then there is plenty good fishing anyway

Cheers

N-X
23rd Mar 2007, 05:43
Thanks,

That is actually probably a good idea

Atlas Shrugged
23rd Mar 2007, 05:54
James Morrison has a Chieftain which he and his brother fly. I think from memory John used to fly a Metro or something like that for Jetcraft (notice no @!) on night freight ex BK and also did quite a few bank runs in a Chieftain/Aerostar. Both are CPL holders.Not sure how they fit the whole big band in there though :bored:

scrambler
23rd Mar 2007, 06:22
2 trips with a 206, or an airvan.
Crosshair what about shirl?

Capt Wally
23rd Mar 2007, 11:07
scrambler..........technically speaking "Shirl" was taken from us by a rotor craft, (Sadly)there has/was no mention of type other than fixed wing, although some people are very astute in here:-)
Go by boat, although one very loyal band played on 'till the very end on board a famous boat/ship, me thinks it's damn cold down there at the bottom of the Atlantic !:-)
2 x Islanders may suit best all round, it's a trade off either way you look at it.

Capt Wally :-)

Crosshair
23rd Mar 2007, 11:20
N-X said: "Perhaps mite go by boat"

Not recommended either.

Regards,
Kirsty MacColl

P.S. What do you think Queen were on about with that song about bicycles?

Tiger 77
23rd Mar 2007, 11:34
There are a few DHC-5's for sale around the place. May be a good investment if your band is gonna do a fair bit of travelling.

Cheers,
Tiger.

The Messiah
23rd Mar 2007, 14:11
B747 just like Bon Jovi.

scrambler
23rd Mar 2007, 18:14
scrambler..........technically speaking "Shirl" was taken from us by a rotor craft

Not unlike Stevie Ray Vaughan from the post I was refering to!

RE looking at the gear, Bulk would be your biggest problem. The airvan should do it. 206/210 would come close

OpsNormal
24th Mar 2007, 00:11
I'd suggest a C208. It'll fit the lot and more and are regular features of the Torres Strait.