PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair

Commander1
22nd Mar 2007, 22:33
Hey guys and gals, have any of you been on the training course before? I have just started today and was wondering if any of you found it difficult or too much information to take in, in such a small time frame?

Kind regards

Sarah

walshy_MAN
23rd Mar 2007, 00:29
Hi sarah

where are you taking the training course? Liverpool?

Commander1
23rd Mar 2007, 17:52
Glasgow, sorry. My second day has been really intense and alot of information to take it with exams constantly one after another practically. Is this normal for cabin crew or just Ryanair?

Commander1
24th Mar 2007, 08:57
Im really shocked at the lack of input to this thread. Have none of you ever done this training course before? :eek:

Is Cabin Crew training generally intense or is it just Ryanair's?

Cheers

tiggerific_69
24th Mar 2007, 09:45
It could just be that there's not a lot of Ryanair crew who post on here because they get bashed so much.or they could all be at work!

most cabin crew new starter courses are pretty intense, with exams nearly every day,and lots of revision to do when you go home at night.

Commander1
25th Mar 2007, 17:12
Was just worried because it is alot of studying. I was just wondering how everyone else got on that was all. I heard with Ryanair if you fail you might not get another chance to sit it and if you did you would need to make the pass at 70% or your out the door. Does that sound harsh to anyone else here or just me?

Do most airlines treat staff like that?

vodkaholic
25th Mar 2007, 17:15
in fact i believe most airlines have a pass mark for exams at 90-100%. its not harsh or unfair, your knowledge really does need to be this high when out online. every CC training course is stressful, because there is a LOT to learn and study. i have no idea if Ryanair's differs to any of the others, but if you are finding it hard work, then that's a good thing!! :)

tiggerific_69
25th Mar 2007, 17:36
if your normal pass rate was somewhere between 80 and 90% and you were actually allowed to do a retake and werent booted out there and then, you would probably be expected to get 95% in the retake.

Commander1
25th Mar 2007, 18:59
Im not struggling, most of it i know from flying and working as ground staff years ago. But on the other hand most of it is new and intense. I will cope though. :)

Happy flying!

VS-LHRCSA
26th Mar 2007, 06:08
Most airlines will take a pretty harsh stance when it comes to training and re-takes. Any delays in your graduation will disprupt crewing and scheduling plans, so they will want trainees to put in the effort so they will graduate on time, even if it means that the company have to seem somewhat threatening.

Plus their courses are regulated by whichever aviation authority they come under. There are rules regarding pass-marks and when you can do a re-take.

In your case, it may seem harder as you have a lot of experience to UN-LEARN, if that makes sense.

Looking on the positive side, at least with FR, you only have one aircraft type to learn.

Commander1
30th Mar 2007, 23:08
Ok i've been in training for 1 week and im finding the volume of study very hard to take in. We are getting one topic one day, told to study it that night and sit an exam the next day, is that normal practice or just Ryanair? I think its very badly organised training plus i have to pay for it myself and being told if i get less than 70% i need to leave the course.

The examiner that i have is very strict, exam questions are vague and they take away 3 points even if you answered the question they asked correctly. I am not the only one who feels this way though. I've spoke to other people and they are convinced this is wrong. People who are teaching are very unapproachable and not very happy.

I dont know what to do as i really dont want to fail.

Is this normal??

Please help :(

:{ :mad:

Commander1
1st Apr 2007, 08:08
Ok i've been in training for 1 week and im finding the volume of study very hard to take in. We are getting one topic one day, told to study it that night and sit an exam the next day, is that normal practice or just Ryanair? I think its very badly organised training plus i have to pay for it myself and being told if i get less than 70% i need to leave the course.

The examiner that i have is very strict, exam questions are vague and they take away 3 points even if you answered the question they asked correctly. I am not the only one who feels this way though. I've spoke to other people and they are convinced this is wrong. People who are teaching are very unapproachable and not very happy.

I dont know what to do as i really dont want to fail.

Is this normal??

Please help :(

:{ :mad:

dumdumbrain
1st Apr 2007, 08:08
I start my Ryanair training on 21st May, after reading some of the comments i aint looking forward to it now. Sees to be very little help given so far about what i should learn before i start the course, just a little pointless information on the st james website on the intranet, http://stjames.gb.com/ryanair/ not sure i can give out the password or not???? I would be interested in hearing more about how the course is run from others who have or are currently doing it.
Also would someone with a degree find the amount of work on the course too much aswell?
Lee

tiggerific_69
1st Apr 2007, 08:59
Hi,i remember you posting about this before. Yes,the intensity of the course is right,and this is how ALL cabin crew courses are carried out,regardless of airline.
If you feel the points system and the way in which it is being used is wrong,then maybe speak to the people who organise the course, i know its a private company, speak to someone in the offices.If the rest of you who feel the same way also do this,maybe they will do something about it?
You are lucky that the pass rate is 70%,most airlines it is 85-90% however you must understand that there is a reason for the pass rate - Your job is about safety, and if on an exam you can only get 50% of the stuff right, how will you cope putting the theory into practice if such a situation was to arise?
Speak to someone at the company running the course and see if they can help you out.

nesboy 1976
1st Apr 2007, 10:12
It is quite normal, however being an instructor myself the fact your course instructors aren't approachable := isn't very good and this must make the course even harder!

As instructors we aren't here to catch you out, however we have to ensure you know your stuff before you are let loose online!;)

The other thing is, if you aren't happy LEAVE! Granted the grass isn't always greener but it is pointless being unhappy!

Just my opinion!

Nesboy

p.s good luck to you if you stay.

Twinklinggem
1st Apr 2007, 10:53
Hi i'm not training with ryanair but Monarch and we have to have a pass rate of 85% and infact one girl had to leave last week due to failing her exams,it s hard but as other people have said you have to know your SEP and its a good thing.

Our trianers are great very nice can speak to them about anything and they are full of advice for us :D

we have three weeks to go.

Good luck with your wings trianing.

justD
1st Apr 2007, 11:03
EZY is 90%

But the trainers are extremely friendly, helpful, approachable.

This is what I believe trainers should always be like...

nesboy 1976
1st Apr 2007, 11:14
The company i'm with the pass result is 90% with a resit pass result is 95%!

Quite standard throughout the industry i believe!

As for the trainers, all the trainers that i instruct with are more than approachable, however i have heard before that Ryanair's trainers can be abit agressive in their approach! but i'm sure it doesn't apply to all of them!;)

Nesboy

Commander1
1st Apr 2007, 15:17
The pass mark for tomorrows exam is 85% which is dangerous goods, i got the training info for that on friday. I also have smoke and fire test that afternoon. Learning Security on monday also for the exam for that on tue same pass mark. Thursday is the big initial exam, multiple choice/written aswell pass mark 90%. I think it is very intense though not sure if they would mark me down for writting my own words like for example "make sure all passenger names are recorded"

Manual: "All passengers names must be logged"
Do you think they will be that fussy??

Still i think its alot but i've gave up my job and paid alot of money for clothing etc to get me started so theres no point in giving up, its not hard just alot of info to take it.

Just really worried if i fail im going to be very upset.
I tried to approach my instructor on friday as i said i was concerned as i may fail and all she could say was "well i cant sit the exam for you, you have to study" They are so unfeeling and do not make small talk out of class aswell, i wonder if this is just a Ryanair thing or what.

Well that much is obvious, im not screwing around i have been studying furiously for the last 5 hours for the last 4 days.

Its just dissapointing that im actually paying for this course and this is the treatment that i get plus i have to board passengers at the gate, and i dont get any airline food for my lunch, have to bring in my own food when the pilots get meals. Its crap but i really want the job im not too keen on the company.

im actually planning on applying to Globespan when im 21 (2 months time) if they are still recruiting, that was my original plan but i never knew they had age restrictions that were so high. :(

The stakes are high and i am going to continue my studying but only 4 people passed the last class test out of 25 people, that was on first aid. however the questions were very vague

i.e Q) How many First aid kits are there on board?

A) 3 (which is correct)

I got 2 points deducted from me because i did not specify where there were located and what colour, but i was only answering the question. Im not the only one who is pissed off.

dumdumbrain
2nd Apr 2007, 06:31
Hi
The swimming test you have to take on the ryanair course,
Q) Can you swim free style,, ie on ur back?

Q) How long do you spend at EMA for fire training

nesboy 1976
2nd Apr 2007, 08:20
Your intructors really need to get a grip of reality!The days of 'old school' crew have long gone! It's all about CRM now, and i can't wait to hear about your CRM training!!!:}

The exam's can be hard, however they are normally multiply choice with just the 1 written question which normally consists of a drill or the like!

Setting vague questions is no use to man or beast! They just confuse people!

Judging from your post you are just 19? If thats the case then you can apply to many other airlines. I appreciate you have paid alot of money for your training but you will resent the company if you aren't happy and it may make you ill!:yuk:

All the best for the rest of your exams and the rest of the course.;)

Nesboy

tiggerific_69
2nd Apr 2007, 09:12
Its just dissapointing that im actually paying for this course and this is the treatment that i get plus i have to board passengers at the gate, and i dont get any airline food for my lunch, have to bring in my own food when the pilots get meals. Its crap but i really want the job im not too keen on the company.

IF you feel this way,plus youre not enjoying the training then why not just leave and do the same job with a BETTER company?There are PLENTY of airlines out there. You dont seem very happy,why waste time being unhappy?

nesboy 1976
2nd Apr 2007, 12:30
Well said tiggerific!:D

Nesboy

justD
2nd Apr 2007, 12:46
Fully agreed!!!
You're not the first one to complain!!!
Have a look around and see some other options!

justD
2nd Apr 2007, 12:51
i.e Q) How many First aid kits are there on board?

A) 3 (which is correct)

I got 2 points deducted from me because i did not specify where there were located and what colour, but i was only answering the question. Im not the only one who is pissed off.

In this case they should have given you instructions how they want you to answer the question...
You usually don't comment multiple choice...You just choose one letter... this is weird...

iain8867
2nd Apr 2007, 13:56
Commander 1

I flew for Britannia as crew, left and went into ground handling, left and went to an airline that folded and then joined the airline I'm with now. From experience I will say that after working on the ground, I don't know how long you were with them, you have a lot to unlearn. I know I did :hmm: :hmm:

All airlines are hard work during the initial training, I can't talk for FR, I have never worked for them, but when at BY the pass mark was 93%, all written answers no multi choice and answers had to be as per the manual (word for word) god that training was hard. One the other hand I can still complete a by 767-300 location diagram and I left them in 2000.

One thing I have learnt is that even with multi choice answers if there is a section you can write in on the answer paper then they normally want something to be written there. So cover your back and if you can give them more information, they can't mark you down for that surely!! Plus it shows that you know, and can explain, what you are talking about.

I know that FR do charge for training, else where on this site is probably more talk about that than I can to read, so I am not going to comment about it. One thing to think about tho is here in the UK we are lucky that the majority of airlines pay for crew training and you are paid whilst training. In the US you do not get paid whilst training and then they can base you where ever they see fit.

Can I ask, why did you apply to FR?

nesboy 1976
2nd Apr 2007, 14:06
...is what i believe Ryanair come under! Please correct me if i'm wrong!

If so, then this may explain why you have so many exams!

Not because they are Irish;), but because they are a different organisation! And they have different 'regs' to the CAA.

However this doesn't explain why your instructors are such w:mad:s!

Nesboy

Commander1
2nd Apr 2007, 18:45
Hi, you guys are right i am not enjoying the training but that is the only airline right now that was recruiting in my area (PIK/GLA) I passed my dangerous goods exam today 88% but i have been given sheds loads of work to do (4 hours of class teaching in Security and they expect us to do the exam tomorrow) Im just stressing. Im not getting enough time to study. Is that what other airlines do? Give you the information for one topic and expect you to sit the exam the next day? If so i just cant do it i've just not go the brain power. i mean 2-3 days is ok but i feel like im heading for a nervous breakdown i was crying today because its something i've always wanted to do and its so upsetting because they dont care in FR.

I really dont know what to do, i have debt to pay and i need the money...

im actually 20 years old, will be 21 on June, its silly but the first airline i applied to was Globespan a couple of months ago they were interested in me but because im 20 its holding me back :(

im gutted really, i doubt i'll pass tomorrow's exam its 20 questions multiple choice but still theres 20 pages of information/terminology and manual stuff to learn, its just not possible.

:{ :{ :{ :{

I need help :(

Commander1
2nd Apr 2007, 18:48
P.S yeah they come under the JAA obviously but the IAA not the CAA.

Im new to this so i really dont know if this is common practice i.e

Learn First aid for 2 days then a major exam the next day and so forth, you dont get more than 3 days to study then its wham bam exam.

Seriously is this the right way?? :sad:

P.S i have to dress is business attire and to FR standards of colours etc and im only in training, i've spent like £250 getting stuff and they can just kick you off if you fail

nesboy 1976
3rd Apr 2007, 07:41
Unfortunately, thats the way it goes!

However, if i was taking your course we would a good hour recap every morning so you all understood what had been taught to you the day before!
And then the day of the exam i normally do about an hour, hour and a half recap!

Aswell as ensuring you guys know everything you need to for your exam, if anyone fails it reflects badly on us instructors!

Not that i'm saying i would give the answers, i just ensure i cover everything!

By the sounds of it that's where yourinstructors are going wrong!:ugh:

Nesboy

tiggerific_69
3rd Apr 2007, 08:13
Have you thought of applying for Virgin and commuting? A lot of people do it,so its not impossible. Im sure there are plenty of other carriers "dahn sarf" where it would be feasible to commute - Silverjet,maxjet,Virgin, BA if they start recruiting again for Long Haul, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Zoom...you get the idea.There is plenty of choice. Given that youre in glasgow, edinburgh isnt THAT far, why not see who is recruiting there?Theres always BA Cityflyer from Edinburgh or Flybe are most likely to be recruiting.
At the end of the day, youre only 20. If you have to wait a bit longer until maybe next summer, then do that.Its not like you would be too old to fly!!!!Once you are 21,it will open up more doors for you.

If youre not happy,do yourself a favour.
Good luck.

Pandora's Box
3rd Apr 2007, 16:30
Commander1 you poor sweet,
I have never worked for FR and will never be applying to them either. The instructors sound like they need a good kick up the arse and if you decide to leave i think thats what you should do :}
The instructors should be there to help you aswel as teach you, because they are unapprochable and unfriendly, it puts more pressure on you therefore you worry more about failing.
Training courses are hard going, especially if you have flown for another airline cause you have to get new drills and procedures in your head and not mix them up with the old ones.
I am with my forth airline now The training course with my current airline was fine, not to difficult, 90% pass mark. However the course for my first airline was hard work....We had drills for everything, and the crash and ditching drill had to be word perfect, and we had to write drills for no1 crew, 2, 3, and crew no4, it used to take about an hour. We also had 3 aircraft types to learn, all in 4 weeks:{ We had a friendly instructor though, so we all go through with no re-sits :ok:
Seriously though Commander, You will make yourself ill with all the worry and its not worth if, especially for FR!

Commander1
3rd Apr 2007, 16:32
Its not that its the fact that i dont get enough time for example i learned dangerous goods one day and sat the exam the next and so forth, is this common practice for airlines?

How often are there exams i know i've got 4

2 minor and 4 big ones. One of which (big one) is on thur first thing in the morning (9) and no revision.
My instructor wizzes through the powerpoint information, thats how we train, we spent 3 hours on pax evacuations which i felt was wrong. I feel that Dalmac aviation are just conning people out of money and wizzing through courses without proper instruction or care.

Perhaps im exagerating but i've to learn 5 long drills for tomorrows exam and a 10 page hand out. Can you guys tell me if other airlines like EZY, BA, GSM etc spread things out a bit more etc??

I've to do my cabin training, fire and smoke training in STN flying out from PIK but heres the catch i've to fly PIK- DUB stay in DUB every night for 4 days but travel to STN on every one of those days for training.

Im still upset because i doubt im going to pass this exam with a pass mark of 90% im way behind as im not getting enough time to study, its a new topic every day...

Thank you for your help.

Commander1
3rd Apr 2007, 16:40
Pandora's box, i agree i am feeling sick, i was crying yesterday as i was in high hopes and the way Dalmac were talking i was guaranteed the job. I was even willing to pay that £1000 for the training. I am on the same boat as you i have to learn all drills for everyone on board, ditching, landing, hijacking, bomb, sabotage, spillage, fire drills. you name it. Its been really tough and i dont want to leave because i have no other job to go to and i dont know where to look for airport jobs as i'd rather just stick to ground staff somewhere in PIK or GLA as i really dont want office work again.

I've got my SEP manual and i was told i have to learn 6 drills for tomorrow, every word perfect for tomorrow plus a passenger evacuation drills etc for tomorrow which i know myself i cannot possibly learn all of them.

so far i've learned

1) Terminology/customer service/ marshalling/boarding
2) First aid
3) Dangerous goods
4) Fire and smoke
5)Security
6)Bomb threats/drills
7)passenger evac

I've had hardly any time to fully learn either as we'd learn i.e topic 1 one day then be expected to sit an exam the next. Bearing in mind i have to learn another topic tomorrow and incorporate everything i've learned into the initial exam on thur and im getting a test tomorrow on topic 7 tomorrow.

Is this normal practice for an airline as this is the first i've worked with?

I really dont mind the whole commuting thing to London but isn't it dodgy with delays etc? Wouldn't it cost me alot?

By the way, i just want to thank everyone for their input it really helps.

Im just wondering if i should leave or stick it out?

tiggerific_69
3rd Apr 2007, 16:56
Not dodgy if you leave enough time.For longhaul,you wouldnt be commuting up and down that much anyway so you would probably earn enough to cover it.
My initial training,it was hard going.But i never ever wanted to leave.If youre thinking about leaving,there is a reason why.Get yourself a job with a temping agency for now,there are plenty of other airline/airport jobs out there - people might even still be recruiting for the summer.

Dolley
3rd Apr 2007, 17:05
At the end of the day you have to make the decision if you want to stay or leave, nobody else can make it for you chick.

But you sound miserable and that's one very good reason to leave.

On the other hand money might be a good reason to stay.

You have to weigh it up for yourself.

Have you tried easyjet at all? They have a base in GLA and EDI but even if you can't have one of those you can apply for wherever and put in for a transfer after 6 months probation.

Their training is thourough and can be hard but the trainers are supportive and nice.

And like everybody else said, there's plenty of other airlines if this one doesn't suit you...

Good luck.

Commander1
3rd Apr 2007, 17:10
Maybe i am just overreacting because it is a high volume of study? Still it is alot with exams every day, is that normal for airlines or just FR?

Do you guys know any airlines that are recruiting just now for GLA/EDI or a base which has alot of flights going to Glasgow if i were to work long haul?

I just dont want to have training like this though :S

vodkaholic
3rd Apr 2007, 17:14
To be honest commander, i think what you are saying sounds just the same as any airlines training. i have only worked for 1 airline, but have a lot of friends at different airlines and all the training seems very similar...things are covered quickly and you are expected to take a lot in and then be tested on it, sometimes the same day, sometimes the next. You cannot possibly have a social life while undertaking this training. You have to eat, sleep and breathe cabin crew!

personally, i loved this!! i was willing to put in the extra time every spare second of every day, and believe me...if you think training is hard - wait till you're online with pre-flight briefings, and the thought that an emergency could occur at any second and YOU will have to deal with it. it doesn't necessarily get easier per say.

If you are so so miserable, there's no point staying. But as someone else mentioned, money issues could be a big enough reason for you personally to stick it out. Nobody can tell you what to do but we can advise, and i know that if i was feeling as stressed and upset as you seem to be. I wouldn't stay.

All the best chick!! welcome to aviation! (i think it's like marmite!! lol)

nesboy 1976
3rd Apr 2007, 18:17
I have to agree with Vodkaholic, you either love the job or hate!

I've been flying for just over 10 years and i've been an instructor for the last 4. You sound like you really want to do the job Commander and i'm impressed by all the studying you have put in but as Vodkaholic has said it's all very different when you get into the crew for your briefing and if (heaven forbid) you have an emergency onboard.

However if you haven't been given the correct and relavant info in training you are going to struggle. This, i know isn't your fault but it needs to be addrssed before you get online, because if you fail a briefing you may find yourself back in the class room with the same inept trainers that you had for your intial training!:ugh:

I don't mean to patronise you, and please don't think i am.

Have you ever thought about a move to Newcstle? It's an up and coming airport with lots of good airlines, and it's not that far from Scotland;)

Nesboy

Commander1
3rd Apr 2007, 19:10
I dont think i really want to move from here but i am just going to stick it out and carry on with my studying as i can only do my best, i put in 5 hours per night if not more at weekends. I cant say im not trying its just the volume is getting ontop of me :ugh:

Will keep you posted.

P.S do you know of any jobs going in GLA?

nesboy 1976
4th Apr 2007, 10:46
Unfortunately hunnie i don't!

I'm based down in Lgw at the moment. There's loads of job down here though! Especially with my company!;)

All the best with the rest of your course and if we can be of any help then please don't hesitate to ask 1 of us on here!

Nesboy:)

dumdumbrain
4th Apr 2007, 13:31
Hi

I start my training down at STN in May. Just wondering if anyone here has done the course with St James Managemet. And when you do the swimming test, can you swim free style ie on your back? Also does anyone know which bases need the staff the most, I picked EMA/MAD/NRN. I heard EMA is getting another two aircraft in sept and maybe another 3 in spring 08.

Cheers Lee

Commander1
4th Apr 2007, 15:58
I have my initial exam tomorrow its an 85% pass and im so so with confidence. Final thing we learned today was survival techniques hehehe.

I hope to god i pass though i will keep you all informed!!

P.S The swimming you can do whatever stroke you want and its 2 lengths.

Claudinho
6th Apr 2007, 13:27
Hello guys. It's nice to hear that Ryanair is still doing very well,what a surprise... :P

Anyway i was with St james. I know you guys find it hard,and it will get harder everyday. I did my training nearly 1 year ago. Everybody nearly passed apart from about 10... from 50-60 people. Its hard but its only studying. No matter what study as hard as you can. Lie in bed and ask yourself questions when in bed till you fall asleep ! But i have to say im very unpleased how they still treat people.

I paided 1,4 for my training... it was worth it,but i still slapped myself when i saw other airlines actually paying YOU for attenting the training course.

You know you have to pay your uniform etc..? Anyway no more **** talk about ryanair its still a great airline to start for !!!

GOOD LUCK LADIES AND GENTS !!

dumdumbrain
6th Apr 2007, 15:43
Well when I went for my interview with St James down at STN I actually met my ex at random, and my interview flys with my ex often. Does anyone know more about the bases tho? WHich need the staff the most? I really want EMA

Claudinho
6th Apr 2007, 19:56
Well,as far as i know it would be Bremen,Charleroi,Hahn,Dublin
I can say that CRL is the best base out there ;)
Just to let u know :p

Commander1
6th Apr 2007, 22:32
Hey everyone, well heres a suprise i scored 97% on my initial exam!! i am so pleased hahaha!:cool:

I start my conversion training next week anyone have any idea what that is, i know its more in depth but i dunno if its new stuff or going over stuff we've done.

Passed my medical today too.

Phew!!

P.S 2 people have failed and are off the course.

Claudinho
7th Apr 2007, 10:46
In conversion you will learn the location diagram,where everything is,how to use Halon,first aid kits(For burns,bleedings,factures),PBE etc

Good luck !

Commander1
7th Apr 2007, 18:48
Hey Claudinho thanks for the info. Can I ask, is the conversion part easier than the initial part? I heard that it was. Also is the exam difficult?

Cheers :ok:

Claudinho
8th Apr 2007, 00:29
Hey Commander1 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=158841). No probs at all. Well i dont want to make you more nervous. But the conversion its not easy. Dont let people fool you. I personally think its BS if people say conversion is easy,most time those people are the ones who had to retake it lol

Well let me tell you its quite hard but u got throught the first part so ull be just fine !

Dont worry !!

Good luck with everything

PS : Anymore questions just contact me !

Regards,
Claudinho vbmenu_register("postmenu_3221485", true);

Commander1
8th Apr 2007, 09:29
Hard in what sense?

Cheers

Claudinho
8th Apr 2007, 11:07
As its not more easyer then the initial

Commander1
8th Apr 2007, 17:32
Damn lol. Alot of cabin crew were saying it was easier as its stuff i've already done but going into it in further depth.

Is it more practical stuff like learning how to use equipment or having to learn more drills?

I further understanding would be good to know.

Cheers.

ex cabin crew
8th Apr 2007, 17:42
Congratulations on passing your exam :D - from the result you got I think you have nothing to worry about! Try to relax and do your best in class - I am sure you will get through fine. Have your instructors not told you what each part of the course involves?

Commander1
9th Apr 2007, 14:50

Im afraid not she never told us just that it was "more indepth" about stuff we've done.

i've got alot to get through tonight, overhead locker fire drill, ovens/galley and toilets along with fire equipment PDI's and operation.

Its quite alot just for one day, im wondering if it'll get any easier?

Do any of you guys know what else i'll cover in conversions?

Cheers

BigLebowsky
11th Apr 2007, 09:51
Commander1
It seems like you should've done some homework before you decided to quit your job. Most people research the company before they apply.
I'm currently looking for a job, so I'm spending every waken moment looking for information about different airlines to make sure I don't get any nasty surprises.
I apprechiate it's a bit late for morals now so you're just gonna have to stick it. About people being unapproachable, well that's Ryanair for you. Think it's bad now? You haven't seen NOTHING yet! You'd know that if you followed step one. And after a while on line you will understand why. Everyone works their ar*es off here, so there's not much left energy for other people's problems.
Finally, noone gets any meals in ryanair, not even the pilots. Heck, I'd be glad if I got a cup of hot water so I can make myself a coffee!
If that's not your cinda company, then maybe it's not too late to rethink.
Good luck!
(btw, you really shouldn't put your real name on your posts)
/BigL

ps, it's not getting any easier, you'll se when you get online...

Commander1
11th Apr 2007, 17:10
Well I hated my job so i wanted to be cabin crew. Im not complaining as such i just want the training to be over.

I really want the job, i want the experiance. I have 2 more days of classroom training left which is evacuation drills landing/ditching i was told its the hardest part of the course. Comments would be appreciated.

P.S I heard stories but i didn't think it would have been that bad but as they say you gotta start somewhere and i have and i am proud of myself i have done very well so far. I just want it over and done with....

And if you had read my previous posts i applied to 3 other airlines in which 2 were full and 1 i wasn't 21 so its a bummer but i'll keep trying i need the experiance.

Getoutofmygalley
11th Apr 2007, 19:20
Commander1

I would recommend that you don't keep asking people for comments on things from your training course. Why? - well if someone comes back and replies with "Oh yes the next bit you are learning is really difficult, 15 people from my course failed and were booted off of the course" you are going to end up panicking more than you are now!

Relax, chill out and concentrate on everything you need to learn over the next few days, then why not come back on here AFTER you have finished your training and give a blow by blow account of the training course (good bits and bad) which any other Ryanair trainees (or prospective applicants) might find useful.

Then, after you have completed your supernumary flights and have been online for a week or so, come back again with an update on how your first week or so went - again so that any other Ryanair trainees and prospective applicants to get some benefit from your experiences :)

Commander1
11th Apr 2007, 20:27
Well the whole point of this forum is to ask questions good or bad. My trainer isn't very good at giving out information so thats why i took the initiative to ask on here since people are experiance but I wont ask in future then since everyone keeps making a fuss about it. I have every right to be worried, i am not panicking i just want it over and done with. I am putting 110% commitment into this hence no social life blah blah.

Unlike some people i actually ask questions hence i get somewhere.
Im sorry if i seem arrogant but i feel like I cant ask questions on this forum.

I do not beat around the bush..

And by the way, this is my DREAM this is why it means so much to me.

Commander1.

Getoutofmygalley
11th Apr 2007, 21:17
Commander1

Perhaps if you took the time to actually read what I had said, you would be able to understand that it was intended as a helpful reply and not a rebuke about the amount of questions you have asked.

My post before was because I genuinely felt concern for you, but you obviously are unable to see that! :*

I do hope that when you are online that you won't react in that kind of way with other CC/Pax/Pilots/Ground staff - chucking toys out of your pram when you have misinterpretted something will get you nowhere at all pretty damned fast!

Commander1
12th Apr 2007, 07:28
No I never meant it in that way, i am stressed out obviously. I have worked as ground staff for 1 year previously and the rest i was in business. So im pretty good with customer service :) There is no way in hell you can tell someone's emotions online because you cant see their reaction, hear their tone etc. So it was pretty hard for me to tell if you were concerned or just "having a go".

I have thick skin and can deal with alot of things without swinging off the handle, you dont know me. This is only words on a computer.

I appreciate what you said and I will keep everyone updated. I have 2 more days to go, I was told its going to be the hardest of all days - so my instructor says and I believe her. Its evacuation drills (I think theres about 10)

It was fun carrying out the pilot incapacitation drill because my friend weighed a ton. I hope none of the emergency scenarios occur.

Im looking forward to the practical days in East Midlands in the cabin trainer. Was it good/bad for you?

I'll say it again, im not here trying to offend anyone or cause trouble, all i want is advice and to hear other peoples stories.

walshy_MAN
12th Apr 2007, 16:14
I was due to start the training course today in Liverpool, but after what ive read and the many things ive heard about Ryanair, ive been totally put off.

Commander1
12th Apr 2007, 17:05
I think you gotta try it for yourself there are number 1s from Ryanair that i have met and love the job. If it was so bad and no one worked as cabin crew then there would be no flights going out = company goes bust.

There are NO jobs with any other airlines at present for GLA so i have to settle with FR right now as i am not 21 for globespan.

Right now, its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be and im sure most people who start shouting comments like "Dont work for them they treat people bad!" have probably never worked for them so how on earth can you comment??

Its a gateway to a great career at the end of the day with a notch under your belt, any employer who sees that i've been cabin crew (minus the airline) will surely be impressed. Its a highly demanding and stressful job but worth it, good pay and prospects.

I dont understand some people, my aunt works for BA and hates it shes worked there for 17 years and shes a no1 and told me the amount of pay deductions shes had and the company treat staff like crap on the bottom of their shoe.

marydoll
12th Apr 2007, 19:24
Come on everyone this is getting ridiculous!! You are not the first people to go through FR training courses and you certainly won't be the last. If FR were really as bad as you say, why are people still working there?? I don't see how you don't gain any experience from working for them, if you can work hard at FR you can work anywhere. Other airlines recognise this.

As for the passengers being horrible, that's crap. FR get the exact same type of passengers as Easyjet, Globespan, etc. Ok it can be long hours, but this is reflected in your pay at the end of the month!! Don't listen to a few people's opinions, make up your own mind!!

dumdumbrain
12th Apr 2007, 19:44
Well i cant wait to start my training with St James at STN next month. Bit off the topic, but was told about cabin crew night in Bishop on a monday night, anygood? I guess its a good way to meet other people who work for ryanair who have done the same training. :O

Commander1
12th Apr 2007, 20:09
I am professional when i need to be but im not going to stand back and let people i dont know be hostile and patronising to me.

I am not freaking out i am fine actually. At the beginning of my course it was extremely stressful and i was panicking but i am up to scratch and my instructor is actually quite nice.

Its Chrissy78 who is putting people off not me i am not painting or trying to paint a bad picture of Ryanair. Besides its Dalmac who carry out the training.

I think you guys ought to take a chill pill too, if i wasn't panicking i wouldn't be giving a toss about what happens. I do care you know.

Got my base visit tomorrow, shall be fun.
And P.S I will be jumping for joy when i complete the course but right now I am very scared because the conversion exam is going to be heavy. I only came on this forum for support not to be laughed at by other people on the course. If i was such a moan etc i would not have been a team leader in my last job for 2 years before i joined Ryanair....

Commander1
12th Apr 2007, 20:14
Well it felt like it, i mean this is my first time doing this kinda job obviously im gonna be really scared.

I dont know what to expect in the exam, i wish i could just forget all about it but i cant help but worry. Its in my nature i guess.

Have you completed the course? Where are you based?

Commander1
12th Apr 2007, 20:20
I have 2 more classroom days to go then 4 days practical, im actually looking forward to that :)

But its the conversion exam, the killer lol that i am most worried about, have you sat the exam yet?

Pandora's Box
12th Apr 2007, 20:55
I think you guys should lay of Commander1 a bit...

As mentioned, he/she is stressing because he/she really wants to pass the course and be Cabin Crew, Commander is obviously very enthusiastic about the prospect of been crew, hence the worrying and all the questions.

If more potential crew were as enthusiastic as Commander1 is, then our job would be so much easier with happy crew resulting in happy passengers...end off...

You keep up the hard work Commander and any more questions.....You just ask away hun :ok:

Commander1
12th Apr 2007, 21:16
Thank you my dear :) Its good to know that one person here has common decency , i think its atrocious how people can just be hurtful like that. I would not like to be in the air with crew with attitudes like that.

Hows things with you Pandora's box?

Yeah i know im stressing in all but its only natural, the rest of the guys are the same that are on the course. Im upto date with all my studying anyhow, Monday and Tuesday is evacuation landing/ditching and decompression drills....shall be fun :{

lol

TightSlot
12th Apr 2007, 21:21
A number of posts deleted today, due to being posted in Nokia Text speak, or simply being pointless.
If you want to post here then it must be relevant and intelligible.

Commander1 - we all now know that you are

Nervous
Worried
Having a Tough Time
Not fond of your instructorWe can now take those points as read, and so you won't need to make any further reference in future posts.

Commander1
24th Apr 2007, 09:36
Well after all the hard work and being messed around terribly by Dalmac Aviation, I passed!! How strange, i got 97% on the initial and 97% on the conversion it was damn tough but worth it. I graduate on thursday :cool: :)

Damianik
27th Apr 2007, 09:51
Nice job Commander1, i was reading the post out of curiosity, i am a FO in RYR and i have been a Cabin Crew for a Major european airline in the past. The training there is longer, so it is less compressed, the thing you had to learn were basically the same, but put on the table in a more decent way.
The company attitude is the cause of the instructor attitude, you will find out during safety recurrent training...i had to seat one 1 month ago that lasted from 3:40am LT to 630pm LT, can you imagine? 5 cabin crews out of 6 were failed and retested at the end of the day and us pilots had to watch them burn as a reminder of what it is to be unprepared.
I think the feeling you had was right and some people should just consider that "if it was that bad nobody would work for them" and i assure you, if there were jobs around that required NO particular degree or schooling, then nobody would want to be airborne for 180 hours a month when the max for europe is 100hours.
That is one of the reasons. And regarding passengers well, RYR is attracting one of the worst kind of pax around, i once or twice carried GYPSIES ...i would never have believe 4 years ago that flying was "for everybody", where is the train gone?
Anyways, keep up for a while, then look for something else, but always try to talk to people and try to show disapproaval for certain practises, we are all doing this, trying to make working for RYR little bit better.
Best Regs,
d

Commander1
27th Apr 2007, 14:09
Hey there, thanks for your support. I was really messed around today with PIK security about my ID, i'll get it sorted...hopefully!

How did you manage to become a pilot? That is my next goal for the future, always wanted to do it :)

Have you just flew in Europe? I quite fancy eventually either getting an FAA or JAA license but not sure which countries offer the best quality of life for a pilot.

I've got my supernumery on monday and tuesday, not looking forward to it especially the briefing questions. Im frightened that i'll screw up...

Take care

Shauna
21st May 2007, 20:06
Where r u based?

I was supposed to start my supernumery's yesterday but Dub Airport Police ****** up my ID so i cant start for a few weeks.....the rest of my class is gonna be weeks ahead of me....im rippin!

Got an interview for Aer Lingus tomorrow morning....anyone been to one?? (tried to start a new thread but wont let me for some reason)

primus
21st May 2007, 20:38
Hi Everyone

Please can anyone give me any advice. I have an interview for Ryanair in June and would like someone to tell me:

The exact pay when working on a Dalmac contract? How much per sector and do you get basic pay?

How long does it normally take before you get a Ryanair contract? Do Juniors and Seniors get FR contracts?

Thanks for your help everyone. I have been crew before but am moving over to Ireland so any info would be a great help.

Thanks........

Commander1
22nd May 2007, 10:11
I am based at PIK. It can take forever to get a Ryanair contract as there are already far too many people working for different agencies.

There is no basic pay, unfortunately its not all that good if your employed by an agency.

You just gotta work your arse off, even then you may not get a contract as I said there are far too many people working for them. I have been on countless SBYs this month because of it = less pay.

Take care.

Shauna
23rd May 2007, 12:39
Mod Delete - Text Speak

justD
25th May 2007, 12:40
Different topic guys, sorry.

Does anyone know if it is true that Ryanair is planning on opening a base in Budapest?

Patwannafly
18th Feb 2008, 15:24
Hello Sarah!
So, are you already flying high with Ryanair? :p
How was it so far?
I'm also trying to be a Cabin Crew, and as you should know, I have many questions...
Can you tell me how it is exactly the swimming task? I'm afraid of that... :sad:
KissKiss
Patwannafly

ONTPax
19th Feb 2008, 19:49
I submitted an application to Ryanair a few months ago and have not heard back. Like you, I have some questions and apprehensions re their method of training. My biggest concern is whether or not it will be mandatory that I have to pose for their next calendar. :uhoh:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/milespost/ryan_calendar_cover.jpg

Jeez! I don't want to chase all their business away! That would be grounds for dismissal for sure! :eek:

ONTPax
** lobbs grenade and runs for cover** :p

wings83
20th Feb 2008, 08:28
Im starting 10th of March training course with StJames. Does anyone know something about entrance exam? is it test or written test, multiple choice style?

Patwannafly
20th Feb 2008, 09:40
I don't know...
And so far, no one helped me to get more information. But my main concern still: I'm f*cking afraid of the swimming part! Buaaaaaaah :ugh:

wings83
21st Feb 2008, 21:57
from swimming??U just swim 20metres any style, no time limit. then u have to jump into water with life jacket, inflate it and rescue other person from water which shouldnt be so difficult. The man from St James told us there happened just twice that someone had to quit the course because swimming...

Jellytot
23rd Feb 2008, 22:26
Have been invited to attend ryanair open day on 12th march in Stansted, not sure if I should go or not. Can anyone tell me what to expect on the open day? I dont mind going as the return flight is only £7.50 which I find quite amazing. lol