PDA

View Full Version : Open skies and fares

Momo
22nd Mar 2007, 19:30
Well, here is one thing I hope will change. While based in Geneva, I approve long-haul business class travel for others, some of whom are based in the UK. The most common destination is SFO. Typically, ex GVA, I can get on the same VS or BA flight as my UK-based people, but for less than half the fare, including GVA-LHR.Two weeks ago, one of my London-based people needed to go to SFO. He went on VS for 4,200 pounds. BA wanted 6,600 pounds for a flight on the same day (Monday March 12th). I flew for 2,700 the previous day, which is more than I usually pay.

I have to believe that this is because the limited number of airlines flying LHR-USA are operating a very effective fare cartel on such routes. (Airlines have anti-trust exemption, so this is perfectly legal.) Competition should change this. Fares are lower with a connection from continental Europe as there is lots of competition.

Coming ex-GVA, I have to connect somewhere to go to anywhere in the USA except EWR or JFK. Lufthansa is normally the most convenient and reliable, particularly via MUC. LX does not serve SFO or Houston, so not an option for these common routes. Typical business fares for Houston start at about 1700 pounds, SFO about 1900. There are periodic specials. I flew regularly to Houston for under 1000 pounds five years ago, though I suppose current fuel prices make that impossible.

Momo