PDA

View Full Version : Initial Cathay Training Schedule

Subwoofer
22nd Mar 2007, 19:14
Hello all... thank you to everyone for putting info online to help prepare me for the Cathay Interview and HK life. I have a question I hope some of you can answer about Training.

From a (much) earlier post by busdriver, I gleaned this information:

You can expect to be in the City of Churches (ADL) for 4 weeks. In that time you will do 6 hours on a Dutchess, 28 hours in their JTS (Jet Training Simulator) of Cathay Mouth Music and flows, and also 46 hours of ground school preparation for the various CAD exams.

Then in HKG you will spend your first 2 weeks getting organised within CX and write CAD exams on Thursdays and Fridays.

This is followed by 2.5 weeks of sitting behind a computer screen doing the Computer Based Training which is your ground school. This includes a 2 hour lecture everyday and 5 exams.

The course ends on a Friday and depending on your luck you will either be straight into the sim on Saturday or Monday to start another 3 weeks of 16 Sim sessions (Airbus Only the 744 has 8 I think) (incl your IFR and A/C ratings).

Then over the next two weeks more classes on company policy and Emergency training followed by your first Observation flight.

You will do 9 sectors of LUFUS training and then sector 10 is your line-check over a 2.5 month process. During this period you will be back in the Sim for Module 1 of your S/O continuation training.

CRM and Modules 2 - 6 over the next year (typically ever 60 days and MOD 3 & 6 being the A/C and IFR tests).

When you then will start from Module 1 again and repeat this process until you upgrade to J/FO in 3 years and 6 months since starting the ball rolling.

Is there any time off in between training modules? Is that schedule that busdriver posted in 2005 still accurate?

Thanks all.
-sub

Subwoofer
28th Mar 2007, 22:56
Sorry, I have to bump this, just once. Does anybody have an answer? I just got a call that I start in ADE in July. Cheers!
-sub

NoseGear
29th Mar 2007, 00:53
Everything the Busman said is pretty much spot on. The only difference now in the training is the ground school/CBT/lectures. You now have 5 days to complete the CBT, which is enough time and is scheduled from a Wednesday to a Tuesday, then there is a week of lectures, again Wed to Tues and you sit the final one-off type rating exam of 100 questions on the thursday. Its then straight into the sim sessions, usually start on the sunday, exept you now only get 8 sim sessions, your Instrument Rating on sim 9, base training sim 10 and a loft scenario on sim 11. Then you are let loose on the world. You can expect no time off until you are finished line training, in fact there is a leave and G day request embargo until you are checked to line. In a nut shell, 6 months from Go to Whoa.:ok:
Good luck, you'll enjoy it.
Nosey

jtr
29th Mar 2007, 01:04
Jesus! Does a new joiner only get 10 days for CBT/ground school!

Additionally... "you do 9 sectors of LFUS", of which you may now legally find yourself sitting next to a non-training/checking pilot on a 3 man crew.

Sheesh, anyone would think we are short of crew....

rjmore
29th Mar 2007, 05:15
To ad to the post, does anyone have the same info for DEFO? Just curious if we get the same or more.

Thanks

Veruka Salt
29th Mar 2007, 15:34
It's pretty much the same as the S/O course, but without the 4 wks in Adelaide.

Sqwak7700
30th Mar 2007, 05:38
"It's pretty much the same as the S/O course, but without the 4 wks in Adelaide."

Very inacurate. The ground school is similar up to about when you start your full flight simulator course. Then it is completely different. I think 26 sectors is the norm for most DFOs.

Veruka Salt
30th Mar 2007, 06:32
WTF? :rolleyes:

. . . . Obviously the LFUS part and endorsement training is a little different. I was referring to the basic groundschool. It's 25 sectors for DEFOs.