PDA

View Full Version : Umm Suqueim Beach Villas got a hammering - as nice beach turns into construction site

Cyberbird
22nd Mar 2007, 18:55
If been visiting a friend of mine after a flight for a splash opposite his villa in Umm Suquiem 2 this afternoon - and guess what: that lovely stretch of beach beneath the Burj al Arab isn't there to be any longer !:eek:
Massive &ugly fencing is underway, to make the so called "beach front villas" at that 1 mile stretch a backroad of a massive buliding site, for the years to come:*
the colleague told me, that prices have plummeted rightaway and are already some 20-30% down by now, as people don't want to put up with noise, dirt and heavy machinery for the years to come - for now everybody with an own pool there got lucky ...:E
Looks to me, as those selfish "land developers" plus "local municipality" are getting way too greedy -
as Dubai is merely worth a visit without it's beaches -
any shopping mall or live concert can be visited elsewhere, and skiing is only the real thing up in the mountains - where You got not only real snow and long (!) slopes, but also a breath-taking view over the alps or rockies ...:sad:
so, that folks are devinitively cutting the branches, they'r e (still comfortably) sitting on .. that's pretty stupid & short-sighted to me & it will bite them back 4 sure - and it does actually already, as some anoid tennents are already said to be NOT renewing their utterly expensive (ex) beach villa contracts anymore - for a consruction-site location for years to come, and with its noise and dust coming with it ..:=
7 days got the issue already BIG on their frontpage as well - as that "shot in the knee" by the municipality makes big waves already, as nobody was informed in time -and most affected people got utterly disappointed - to say @ least!:{

L1011
23rd Mar 2007, 00:14
Bit more history here than it appears I think.
These villas belonged Al Fayed (the Harrods chap) from when his construction company built the Trade Centre in the 80's. Think he was given honorary citizenship in Dubai as well - more than the Poms gave eh?
If memory serves, he was offered a generous sum to sell by Sh. Mo some years back and rejected it.
Can't fight City Hall - your beach becomes a construction site. My heart bleeds for Al Fayed - NOT.

Scudsy
24th Mar 2007, 16:40
This is the direction of Dubai unfortunately. The video passengers are shown on Top of Descent into Dubai is very impressive!

Kite surfing.......only one beach is authorised to have kite surfers and that will soon go.
The moto cross club can't find new premises anywhere in Dubai :confused:

It seems the only activities to be enjoyed in the future involve retail expenditure.

I still have fun in Dubai, I get to do alot (such as ride my bike in the desert) but the thin edge of the wedge is showing and I don't like the direction they're going in

:ugh: