PDA

View Full Version : Uk passenger yyz to Indiana

2U5A
22nd Mar 2007, 11:52
Wifey, who is in the medical profession, was refused US entry yesterday by "Home land security" due to flying private charter from YYZ to the US on a UK passport without a US Visa, OK to travel commercial, not OK for private charter!!! Pilot very professional, but had to play by the rules. Does this happen often??

20driver
22nd Mar 2007, 12:29
I fly back and forth on private planes, not charter, all the time. A lot of the smaller airports are not set up to process passengers who are not US/Canadian. Normally you are required to call and provide passenger nationality prior to take off. In my case if has never being an issue but presumably the officer taking the report would tell you if these is a problem.
I hope the operator does not get stung. The fines are stiff.
20driver

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
22nd Mar 2007, 13:11
Do you have to get a VISA if you are flying into the US and are not flying on a carrier registered with the VISA waiver system?

If not, what are the differences between travelling on a registered and non-registered operator?

NorthCountryBoy
22nd Mar 2007, 13:16
I am awaiting a response from NBAA about the very same topic !. Have spoken with the US Embassy in London and the Custms & Border Protection attache to the UK - the upshot of it all is that private operators are not allowed to join the Visa Waiver Program as approved carriers.

hollingworthp
22nd Mar 2007, 13:51
Does anyone know if NetJets (Europe) is included in the Visa Waiver?

2U5A
22nd Mar 2007, 15:16
Wifey sent all her passport details to the manufacturing company which operates the private jet, one month prior to departure, everything was "blessed and approved". Due to the final destination being a private 6000ft airport in Indiana, they were scheduled to clear US immigration in Cleveland and then hop to Indiana, no problems you might of thourght!!!!
Evening before departure all passenger document details sent to U.S. and wifey was "denied" due to no U.S. Visa, morning of departure same U.S. official was contacted by private charter company to question the "ruling", again denied. Since you do not argue with these people (you call them sir or maam), wifey was given a limo home.
The side line of this story is our family vacation in May in Florida, (flying from BUF scheduled). When we cross the border her passport will now be flagged, so they will ask the question "have you ever been refused entry to the U.S.?"
She will answer yes and try and explain!! I know this will turn into a nightmare!!
I cross maybe 100 times a year and I do have a U.S. visa. I have suggested wifey apply asap to get her U.S. visa, again she will be flagged and possibly will not get approval in time for vacation.
This area of private charters in and out of U.S. and what documents are required, is really confused and I can see it hurting the biz charter industry, I know I don't want to risk the possible problems.

jamesarmstrong
22nd Mar 2007, 15:17
yes, netjets europe are part of the visa waiver scheme.

Aslak
22nd Mar 2007, 17:28
If you are flying into USA on a private or privately chartered aircraft, you need to have a valid US visa.

It does not matter if your country is in a visa waiver program, that applies only to "commercial carriers" or scheduled airlines.

Someone said that Netjets Europe is in the scheme, that might be, the others are not...

Citation500
22nd Mar 2007, 18:56
Universal Weather for example are offering help to join the Visa Waiver Program if your company is registered in one of the "approved" countries.

http://www.univ-wea.com/tripsupport/pre_trip_services.html#012

(almost last item on page, so scroll down)

cheers

CL300
23rd Mar 2007, 07:41
Aslak If you are flying into USA on a private or privately chartered aircraft, you need to have a valid US visa.
It does not matter if your country is in a visa waiver program, that applies only to "commercial carriers" or scheduled airlines.
Someone said that Netjets Europe is in the scheme, that might be, the others are not...
Why MIGHT be ? We are in the waiver program , period. Crews still need C1/D visas but pax can fill out the green I94 and not the white one....Cheers;)

hollingworthp
23rd Mar 2007, 08:10
Thanks for confirming that CL300.

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
23rd Mar 2007, 13:22
Quite a few of the major European jet operators are signed up to the Visa Waiver programme now I understand.

Do they gain more business as a result, compared to those who aren't signed up?

NorthCountryBoy
23rd Mar 2007, 15:07
Spoke to Universal about the Visa Waiver Program - very helpful ! (wish I'd tried that before spending hours on automated telephone answering services at various US Government Agencies !! :ugh: )