PDA

View Full Version : Emirates and Etihad to increase Oz Service.

AirNoServicesAustralia
22nd Mar 2007, 08:53
Emirates Airlines to double Australian services

* March 22, 2007

ONE of the world's most luxurious airlines will double its Australian services by 2011.

Transport Minister Mark Vaile today announced Emirates Airlines will operate an additional 35 flights each week to Australia by 2011.

"I welcome the successful outcome of this week's negotiations with the United Arab Emirates which will provide Australia's airports and tourism industry with increased airline operations and tourists," Mr Vaile said in a statement.

Emirates will operate from Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane.

"Recognising the importance of competition, the new arrangements will also allow new entrant Etihad Airways to operate an additional 21 flights each week to Australia by 2011," Mr Vaile said.

The announcement had been predicted for some time and comes one day after local carrier Virgin Blue took a major step in its plans to launch an international airline by signing a deal to buy six long-haul Boeing jets.

Brisbane Airport Corporation said the deal deftly balanced the need for competition against the health of local airlines.

"Emirates has shown a significant commitment to this market amid challenging times, and their investments have clearly demonstrated this world-leading airline is here for the long haul," corporation spokesman Jim Carden said.

Brisbane Airport is the fastest growing airport in Australia.

"We appreciated the very complex challenge the government has faced on this issue, and the many interests at play, but believe they have got the balance right," Mr Carden said.

"The increased capacity will go a long way to addressing the capacity crunch that we and other Australian airports have been facing, and the winners will be the travelling public and of course the many small and medium sized businesses that rely on competitive, healthy and importantly direct international air connections."

Along with the extra flights, Emirates will further add to the local economy through maintenance work.

Queensland government firm Aviation Australia has won a contract to support the training of engineering maintenance staff.

State Minister for Education, Training and the Arts Rod Welford said the contract was proof Queensland's pursuit of aviation business was paying off.

"Six years ago we set about establishing Aviation Australia and now we have a world class training operation with many international clients.

"We are delighted Emirates has shown further commitment to Australia by choosing our local company for its engineering training centre,'' Mr Welford said.

- AAP

From the Australian.

:ok:

Aussie
22nd Mar 2007, 12:53
On the topic... sometime ago there was talk that EK would fly to Adelaide once the new airport was built.... Anyone know if its on the cards?

Tail Rota
22nd Mar 2007, 14:41
Have heard Adelade is on the cards ...........and there is a rumour of Denpasar to Cairns

TR:ok:

AirNoServicesAustralia
22nd Mar 2007, 19:22
Emirates will operate from Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane.

That seems to be a clear no to the Adelaide question, at least until 2010. Sorry.

ScottyDoo
22nd Mar 2007, 19:36
Adelaide is getting a new airport???

Where're they going to build it??

bushy
23rd Mar 2007, 02:35
I bet they will pinch Parafield. And in Sydney it will be Bankstown.

apacau
23rd Mar 2007, 03:37
I don't think it necessarily has any impact on Adelaide.
Emirates, Etihad and most other international airlines have unlimited access (open skies?) to ADL, CNS, DRW, CBR, HBA etc etc. I think it's known in DOTARS-speak as the "regional access package"
The 4 restricted airports are SYD/MEL/BNE/PER. Thus to fly to these ports, which are clearly the most desireable ones, they needed more rights. Hence mention of these four airports in the press.

ShockWave
23rd Mar 2007, 14:03
Adelaide has been on the drawing board for EK for a few years now, but for a number of reasons got left out of the schedule. 911, gulf war 2, sars, then the 380 delays and subsequent aircraft shortages kept pushing Adelaide off the list. If the market and freight is there then when aircraft and crews are available EK will be in there. Hopefully direct.

Yarra
23rd Mar 2007, 17:16
I would think it unlikely that Adelaide would support a direct service, certainly not on a daily basis. Possible though to run a MEL-ADL-MEL sector to pick up cargo and a few pax as do (I assume still?) Malaysian do.

apacau
23rd Mar 2007, 21:52
Malaysia runs direct 4x weekly now with 777s (at one stage with 744s). Singapore have daily 777s and Cathay 4x weekly A330s (but linked with MEL).

I think there is a market for EK, but perhaps 3-4 weekly. I wonder if they would consider something a bit bold and link onwards to somewhere like CBR or HBA??

ShockWave
24th Mar 2007, 00:34
EK run double daily Perth flights, population 1.4 m. Adelaide population 1.1m...However freight and tourism would make the difference here I think.
Connecting Adelaide to an eastern city such as Melbourne would be a disaster. Who wants to add another three hours on to their flight to europe?

Yarra
24th Mar 2007, 03:53
3-4 a week directs to DXB may work although I believe the load in the belly would generate far more revenue than pax numbers. Cargo flights (fresh produce) from ADL and possibly HBA as well have a huge potential with markets here. CBR?, a long time coming, probably never.

CAYNINE
24th Mar 2007, 05:04
Rumour is..... 1 new flight per year to 2011.

Melb up first.

alangirvan
25th Mar 2007, 07:47
When EK started to Australia, they did not do non stop between DXB and MEL. A340-500s had not been built then. They happily operated with a stop in SIN, and even now one of the of the daily flights from MEL operates with a stop in SIN, and one of the daily flights from SYD operates through BKK. SO...if EK wants to start building the market from ADL, they do not have to do non stops from ADL. I note that ADL does not have direct flights to BKK, whereas it has flights to SIN, KUL and HKG, so EK could offer holidays in Thailand until they decide ADL can support non stops.

ADL may be a third of the size of SYD and MEL, but it still has people who want to travel to the Middle East, Southern Europe, and many other places they cannot fly to on Oneworld carriers.

EK could even annoy AirNZ and QF by extending ADL to AKL. They would be the only airline offering a widebody, and they would offer a bit more food than Air NZ.

apacau
29th Jun 2007, 01:10
Etihad have now also announced services to BNE from September