PDA

View Full Version : 182 (or similar) self-fly charter in Namibia

172driver
21st Mar 2007, 22:47
Hi guys & gals,

I'll be in Namibia around June and would like to do some touring in a rented a/c. Found a couple of outfits on the www, but are there any recommendations or avoids ? Any info appreciated.

PS: I am aware of the license validation requirements

Staalburger
22nd Mar 2007, 13:12
Hi,

Namibia ia an awesome country to do touring in an aircraft,I would suggest using an aircraft not smaller than a 182,maybe you should think of using a C210,the most popular aircraft in Namibia.
Make sure you have a good GPS and VFR maps,you will get lost like nothing if you do not have proper NAV equipment and check the availability of AVGAS wherever you go.

All the airfields in Namibia are gravel except for the bigger airports which have asphalt so be sure that you know how to do take-offs from high and short strips safely (sorry if I sound like I'm coaching but I don't know your experience).

Good places to visit are: Swakopmund,Etosha Game Reserve,Fish River Canyon, Immenhof Game Farm(should you go here please tell the hosts that "Oloff" suggested you go there), Luderitz(very nice crayfish and the old diamond town "Kolmanskop")Sossusvlei Mountainlodge,Sossusvlei Lodge(these to areas have awesome scenery with some of the highest,reddest dunes in the world,make sure to do a scenic trip from the south coastwise to Swakopmund but make sure that you have done good fuel-planning,you can also try going to Wilderness Rhino Lodge/camp where you can do trips into the desert with good friends of mine who run the camp there called Chris and Emsie: [email protected] once again please inform them that I suggested you go there should you decide to go.

If you want quite accurate co-ordinates for most strips in the country make sure you get the latest edition of "Airfields of Southern Africa",it is a guide with a heap of information with regards to the airfields.Always phone the place where you are going with an ETA,ask them to confirm that their runway is ok for use and confirm the co-ordinates for all strips by actually asking the people to give it to you,it can cause heaps of trouble and stress when you can't find the runway because there are so many in some areas that you can get confused easily.During June the Kuska(coastal festival) should be on for the last week of June as far as I can remember and this is a very interesting and fun-filled occasion,especially the last day when it is a sort of beerfest which is a huge party and lots of fun.

I hope you can use some of the stuff I suggested

Cheers:ok:

desertnomad
22nd Mar 2007, 17:02
You are very fortunate,what an experience it would be................:)

Speak to the local C210-drivers in Swakopmund or Windhoek-Eros, to get the co-ordinates of the "scenic-hotspots" in NAM.
You cann't afford not to see the desert from the air,along the coast there are several shipwrecks,seals,old diamond mines and much more to see & explore.

Please be aware,there are alot of C210's on scenic flights along the coast,they use shipwrecks as VFR reporting points etc. so fimiliarise yourself beforehand & if you are not fimiliar with the coast,stay inland of the fog layer.

Namibia got so much to offer, enjoy!!!!!

"Die Klippen,sie sind von der Sonne verbrandt.
Und scheu sind im Busch die Tiere
Und sollte man uns fragen:
Was halt euch denn hier fest?
Wir konnen nur sagen:
Wir lieben Sudwest !!!! "

Icarus208
24th Mar 2007, 13:43
Hi

A C182 is probably the most ideal to do the whole Namibia experience in. If you have C210 experience try and get one of those. It makes those long trips between destinations so much quicker and much more pleasant.

If you want a C182 then I can recommend a Pieter Hartmann from Eros Airport. He owns and runs the maintenance division called "Aviation Centre". It is his aeroplane reg V5-FIS...great aeroplane, recently resprayed and all new interior...lots of power for a C182...three blader as well. Dont have phone number but you can try the local flying club and get his number from there but dont say it is to rent one otherwise they will phone him and then rent it for you for an additional unwanted costs.

If you cant come right there, there is another C182 V5-JOG that is also for rent..Try and get the info again from the local club but once again do so in different manner to get that info.

If you want a C210 try and get one from Atlantic Aviation in Swakopmund..I think they also rent from time to time depending on your experiece levels.

Hope this give you a better idea of things...

Shout if you need more info...

Voel
25th Mar 2007, 13:14
I can only agree with the previous desert lovers. PM me for more information on your trip to Namibia.

Staalburger
25th Mar 2007, 20:55
Forgot to mention that if you see the name "Rehoboth",it's written on one of the hills in stone, should you fly from Swakopmund to Windhoek Intl,you are lost.
Good story behind my reply:)

Enjoy the trip and let us know how things are going with the organisation of your trip etc.

Cheers

172driver
26th Mar 2007, 18:08
Great info guys, thanks :ok: Been travelling and off Pprune (I know, I know... how can you...) for a couple of days and will follow up asap.

Staalburger, I'll definitely email your friends - this is a place we wanted to go to anyway ! Will keep the Rehobot hill in mind also :p

Icarus I'l get on to the chap at Eros first thing tomorrow

Voel will PM you a bit later or tomorrow

Will definitely keep you all updated as to progress. Really looking fwd to this - been there about 12 years ago and loved the place, albeit touring by road. Hope I find wings for this time round !

Icarus208
26th Mar 2007, 18:50
I forgot to mention the other C182 that's also for rent. The REG is V5-JRW. Its the owner of Immenhof Guest and Hunting Farm. Very good friends of mine work their and all of the management staff are all Commercial Pilots. So I dont thing you will have any problem chatting with them. You might even stop over to have some lunch their. They also have AVGAS on premises. They dont really sell but Im sure in real emergencies they will gladly help you, like they did with me last time. Dont have their number handy but they are definately listed in the Namibian Tourism Bureau.

Good luck and keep us posted! :ok:

172driver
22nd Apr 2007, 16:35
Guys, thanks for all the replies and help :D :D

Am now sorted and looking fwd very very much to it :ok: Will keep you updated.

172driver
3rd Jun 2007, 19:59
First, thanks a million to everyone who responded on or off-list. Got just a few more days to go now, to WDH on Wed, then the validation and off next week then. Will keep you all posted (with pics, promise!) of the trip. :ok:

172driver
1st Jul 2007, 13:39
Well, back now - alas ! - from a fantastic trip. Had a few bureaucratic hiccups to start with, but thereafter everything went extremely well indeed. Will post a link to some pictures here once I've got some time, meanwhile thanks again to all those who posted here and those who helped on the ground in Namibia. :D :ok::ok:

Wildduke
1st Jul 2007, 19:57
I'm really interested in seeing some pics of your trip. I'll pm you my email address.

172driver
2nd Jul 2007, 18:11
Wildduke, worry not - I'll post some here, just need to find the time to upload a series of them to a website. Stay tuned.

redskyventures
16th Jul 2007, 00:30
Hey Guys, glad the 172 Driver's tour turned out well!!! but really, I am sick of this stuff, WFTC povides a booking service, and noone else can be bothered...in the interim of a link for Nambian contacts Peter Hartman (+264 ) (0)61 272 897 fax 220 649, JOG is (+264) (0) 61 225 739, Immenhof is a great place and searchable as a running guest farm. People are not big on email here. Hope to hear more about the license and trip.