PDA

View Full Version : Flying Car or Motorway Helicopter

Head Turner
21st Mar 2007, 08:54
Be warned that the Dutch are forging ahead to build a three wheeled car that converts to a helicopter/autogyro. Upsurping Henry Ford who had this idea also. So in future if you happen to be approaching a traffic jam/grid lock it would be possible to go to flying mode and continue your journey without delay.
Like the idea?

Whirlybird
21st Mar 2007, 12:39
Love it. :ok: But I bet the CAA won't. I wonder what sort of licence you'd need to be an occasional traffic jam hopper.

wheatbix
21st Mar 2007, 21:11
Sounds a bit like the Moller SkyCar (http://www.moller.com/).

I have to say i'm not a fan of the idea of people driving onto the road then all of a sudden "flying" into the air.

Hopefully at least they'll make everyone who owns one have their licence.

Harry O
19th Jan 2013, 12:49
New flying car.

â–º Flying Car - Pal-V One - YouTube

:ok:

RPM AWARE
19th Jan 2013, 13:09
"flying car"...perhaps

"Beat the traffic jams"....not really, because you'd most likely to have to drive it to a departure airfield, encountering traffic, and then drive it from the destination airfield to your intended location, encountering more traffic...perhaps if you lived on an airpark, and worked at an airfield...but then just get an autogyro....:rolleyes:

VH-XXX
19th Jan 2013, 21:50
They don't show what's involved in folding up the main rotor blades...

Faithless
20th Jan 2013, 17:31
there's always one :ugh:

"flying car"...perhaps

"Beat the traffic jams"....not really, because you'd most likely to have to drive it to a departure airfield, encountering traffic, and then drive it from the destination airfield to your intended location, encountering more traffic...perhaps if you lived on an airpark, and worked at an airfield...but then just get an autogyro....:rolleyes:

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

J.A.F.O.
20th Jan 2013, 19:30
It looks like great fun and the best Bond gadget since Wg Cdr Wallis got involved but it still suffers from the problem that all such ideas have. A minor dink in the car park isn't "Oh well, it'll T-Cut out." it is a £5,000 bill to ensure the integrity of the airframe and make certain that it's airworthy.

As far as I can see that's one of the main stumbling blocks, you just can't treat a flying machine in the way that most people treat their cars and bikes.

RPM AWARE
20th Jan 2013, 21:19
"there's always one :ugh:"....really ?

"So in future if you happen to be approaching a traffic jam/grid lock it would be possible to go to flying mode and continue your journey"

...not in this you won't.....you need a runway to take off and land....how will you manage that whilst driving around cities or suburbia or on a motorway with all those other cars around you when you happen upon a jam :confused:

At best, you could drive it to an airfield and then fly it from there....'invention of the century' :rolleyes:

ShyTorque
20th Jan 2013, 22:53
Even when the police and air ambulance helicopters land and takeoff on a road, the traffic has to be controlled i.e. stopped and a suitably sized operating space cleared. If on a dual carriageway or motorway, the traffic in both directions has to be stopped. Been there, done that.

So, if you think these would be allowed to fly from public roads in a random fashion, at least in UK, you're kidding yourself.

If you had one of these (and who didn't dream about having something like this, as a kid?), in practice it would be so expensive to buy and maintain, and so bad at being a car, that you'd want to fly it all the time. Then you'd be better off with a proper aircraft in the first place. ;)

It's like owning a Reliant Robin of the road, and a Reliant Robin of the skies, but not as good as either.