PDA

View Full Version : A320 Type Rating

Rigpiglet
21st Mar 2007, 07:43
Can anyone offer some up to date information on where the best place to get an intial A230 rating also prices etc would be real handy and contact info please.

Many thanks. :ok:

Capt Fathom
21st Mar 2007, 10:54
Ace,
I suspect there's a job prospect up in the Northern Territory flying a C210! :ouch:
No point being under qualified!

Condition lever
21st Mar 2007, 11:18
go anywhere else but Alteon!

busdriver007
21st Mar 2007, 11:29
Got to agree with Condition Lever....The most expensive A320 endorsement in the world(Alteon)...Air New Zealand is cheaper..Better still get a B777 for $26,000(ANZ).

Fatter Bastard
21st Mar 2007, 12:44
If you are looking at using said rating in Australia then you might also look for a good rectal muscle relaxant as well.

Bula
21st Mar 2007, 22:18
AirNZ (from what I hear) is the stuff. And with the exchange rate at the moment I just managed to save myself one large aus ... can't complain about that.

Works out at around $A31000 for the endorsement

Going Boeing
21st Mar 2007, 23:08
Smartest thing to do right now is tell prospective employers that it is up to them to porvide the rating. With QF about to commence employing in very large numbers, the shortage of pilots is about to hit and it is now time to get pilot recruitment back to where it should be.

cunninglinguist
22nd Mar 2007, 00:07
As above, Alteon is low rent endo for high rent cost.

Jet* C&T have commented how much better the ANZ product is, having said that, Bris or Mel is alot more convenient for most.

Going.......good luck with that.
With QF recruiting in " very large numbers ", I assume all the 330 drivers that have been sitting around twiddling thumbs are back to normal flying hours ?

Maxweight
22nd Mar 2007, 07:32
www.bondaviationservices.com (http://www.bondaviationservices.com)

This outfit is in Orlando Fla.No idea what they are like but u would have to fill out all the new forms they have in the states these days.Could be a bit cheaper too!

Let us know how u go.:ok:

Budgie Smuggler
22nd Mar 2007, 09:56
The following may be of interest, as I requested quotes from Air NZ, Alteon, Premair (US) and Pan Am (US) last year, for A320 type rating training - All prices were obtained late 2006 and may have changed since that time.

Air NZ: - NZ$ 33,000 (+ 12.5% GST) = NZ$ 37,125 (approx AU$ 33,000). The training can take up to 6 weeks, so accommodation, living and travel costs would need to be factored into your budget. I did receive a very comprehensive training summary and the course does look good (on paper).

Alteon (Brisbane): - AU$ 33,550 - allow in excess of 30 days for the training. Training for the A320 can only be provided for trainees who are employed by or bonded to an airline that operates the A320. This is due to intellectual property issues imposed upon Alteon (a Boeing Company) by Airbus.

Premair (USA): US$ 12,000 - allow about 20-22 working days for training and US$ 50/night for accommodation + living costs (food etc) + transport (local) and airfares. (http://www.premair.com (http://www.premair.com/))

Pan Am International Flight Academy: - US$ 12,200 - allow about 25 working days for training and US$ 60/night for accommodation + living costs + airfares. Pan Am advise that they have a shuttle bus for transport. (http://www.panamacademy.com/type.asp?id=216)

If money is no object, I get the impression that Air NZ would provide the most comprehensive training. Also, I have a couple of mates who have secured employment with some Asian Operators and they did their training with Alteon and seemed happy enough with the outcome.

The US training providers seem OK, however you do far fewer hours in the SIM than with ANZ and Alteon, so if you have any difficulties you are going to need to pay for more training. I am not sure about Pan Am, but Premair's training is recognised by CASA, so it can be put straight on your licence.

At the end of the day, you will need to do your own research and make your own judgements and allow for such factors as exchange rates, length of course, accommodation costs etc as well as your own personal training needs.

Best of luck.

Willie Nelson
22nd Mar 2007, 11:47
Stay away from Alteon. Heard good and recent reports about Air NZ.

Left Wing
22nd Mar 2007, 12:58
Willie Nelson,
any reason to stay away from alteon ???

Tee Emm
22nd Mar 2007, 13:26
the shortage of pilots is about to hit

Pull the other one...

Rigpiglet
23rd Mar 2007, 01:11
Budgie Smuggler

Thanks mate, thats great info. Yes I will definately look into all those options and do the research on them all. Many thanks for your imput and response.

PS. Did you end up doing the type rating?

Bula
23rd Mar 2007, 02:12
Tell them to pay for it.... well sounds good but

1. Wait .5 to 1.5 years for the industry to swing so they will pay for it (maybe)
2. Loose 200 or so places in seniority
3. Wait an extra 3-8 years for command
4. Loose min $180 000 to $490 000 before tax rather then spending $31000 for the endorsement :oh:

um yeah.....

B772
23rd Mar 2007, 11:29
Bula, you can add a further loss of $350,000 for Superannuation.

cunninglinguist
25th Mar 2007, 03:31
not to mention endo. should only cost roughly 20K after tax refund.