PDA

View Full Version : Virgin B777's

Australia2
21st Mar 2007, 07:09
I see Virgin to go B777's for the pacific operation.

I imagine the homesick Emirates boys will be happy.

Another chapter opens in Oz aviation.

Cheers Oz2

Aussie
21st Mar 2007, 07:11
Why, what have ya heard or read? care to share?

Buster Hyman
21st Mar 2007, 07:44
Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Blue likely contributors to Boeing's big week

Monday March 19, 2007 Boeing added 46 orders to its backlog last week including 27 aircraft for unidentified customers: Six 747-8s (understood to be freighters), six 777s (understood to be -300ERs for Virgin Blue) and 15 787s.
There is informed opinion from London sources that the 787 order came from Virgin Atlantic Airways, which has been moving rapidly toward a green platform. The carrier recently deferred its remaining six A340-600s (ATWOnline, Feb. 26) (http://www.atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=8034) and those slots have been taken by Lufthansa. Virgin also deferred its order for six A380s with first delivery slated for 2013.
Two analysts in London told ATWOnline they would be surprised if the airline took either deferred commitment. "Branson's going all green and for twin engines," one claimed.
Boeing now has sold, net of cancellations, 112 aircraft this year comprising nine 737s, two 747s, 36 767s, 23 777s and 42 787s. Orders for the 787 have passed the 500 mark with 513 sold--490 under contract and 23 pending signature.
by Geoffrey Thomas :ok:

DJ747
21st Mar 2007, 08:50
Posted from the Virgin Blue website.

21 March 2007
Virgin Blue announces multi billion dollar aircraft deal and over 1100 jobs for new international airlineWednesday 21 March 2007: Virgin Blue Airlines has taken a significant step in its plans to launch Australia’s newest international airline with the signing today of a multi billion dollar aircraft order and confirmation that it will create over 1100 new jobs.

Chief Executive, Brett Godfrey was joined by the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Transport and Regional Services, Hon Mark Vaile and President of Boeing Australia, Craig Saddler, to sign an AUD $2.2 billion deal for six Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and options for six additional aircraft from The Boeing Company.

Virgin Blue has also signed an agreement with leading global lessor, International Leasing Finance Company (ILFC) for a seventh 777-300ER, taking the total aircraft commitment price to AUD$2.6 billion.

The order comes as Virgin Blue accelerates plans for its yet-to-be-named long haul airline operation. While routes are yet to be announced, the new international airline will initially focus on flights between Australia and the West Coast of the USA.

Virgin Blue Chief Executive, Brett Godfrey, said, "This is a significant milestone for Virgin Blue and for Australian aviation."

He continued, "We have demonstrated our contribution in the seven years since launching Virgin Blue in the Australian domestic market through flexible and innovative products for both leisure and business travellers and we look forward to doing it all over again."

"Our decision to make this significant investment is a clear indication that the findings of the Government’s Aviation Review last year were the right ones. Based squarely on that Cabinet review and resolution, Virgin Blue took a decision to invest and launch a new international airline for Australia."

"We will launch that airline in 2008. We will create more Australian jobs, bring more tourists and provide choice and vigorous competition on the Trans Pacific route."

President of Boeing Australia, Craig Saddler, said, "Virgin Blue will be the first Australian airline to operate the exceptional 777-300ER aircraft and we look forward to working with Virgin Blue in its quest to open up international air travel to more people."

He continued, "We have stood side by side with Virgin Blue since its launch with our aircraft six and a half years ago and we have enjoyed immensely working with the Virgin Blue team and watching their continued success. We are excited to be on board for this new phase."

A Virgin Blue team is currently in the United States working with US Government representatives regarding the regulatory approval process, which has been underway for some months.

Virgin Blue’s long haul project team is currently recruiting other key management team members. Within the first twelve months of its operation, the long haul airline will create 1160 Australian based jobs including cabin crew, pilots and ground crew. Virgin Blue has set up a section on its website for early expressions of interest (www.virginblue.com.au under About Us, then Jobs).

The name of the new airline and updates on the regulatory process will be announced in the next few months.

Buckshot
21st Mar 2007, 09:27
Boeing now has sold, net of cancellations, 112 aircraft this year comprising nine 737s, two 747s, 36 767s, 23 777s and 42 787s.

Far out, who's still buying 767s? Must be USAF KC-767, surely? Not exactly latest technology...

meagain
21st Mar 2007, 09:41
aust2,,, hey, you said EK 777 drivers but forgot to mention the 777 rated Aussies at Korean, Asiana, Vietnam, Brunei etc who are also looking very happy about the prospects of flying their beloved 777's from a HOME base AAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
I reckon they'd crew the 1st 3 (or more) aeroplanes straight up with current and willing Capts and f/o's..... I know lots of Americans who'd happily take a US base to do the same. Good on Virgin,,, YOu little beauty.....

Nil defects
21st Mar 2007, 11:10
I doubt if there would be more than one or two come home from EK.

For most of them (self included) net pay would be less than half.

I haven`t heard what VB will be offering but assuming it is similar to SIA Australian basing then it will be far less than half.

Higs
22nd Mar 2007, 00:26
Well, if the money is the same as SQ Aus basing then I'm in!

Aussie
22nd Mar 2007, 00:55
what is the approx amount for an SQ aus basing?

320aviat
22nd Mar 2007, 01:07
hi guys would like to know whether does SQ still offer AUS basing?Whats the requirment and package like?thank you

chimbu warrior
22nd Mar 2007, 01:20
Buckshot I think the bulk of those 767 orders are freighters for UPS.

Australia2
22nd Mar 2007, 02:33
Nil defects,

I figured that may be the case.

A little bit like the Jetstar crowd crowing about the mass exodus that was "going" to occur from the likes of Dragonair to crew their aircraft.

To date we have not lost one single pilot while the Jetstar requirements get lower as they seek people who will work on their crap terms and conditions.

Cheers Oz2 :ok:

Flight Detent
22nd Mar 2007, 02:49
Absolutely fantastic outcome!!

Looks like Qantas will get some competition at last on the Aust-West coast route.

And last but certainly not least, I will not now be forced to travel in those A380s of QFs when they are delivered, as they will most likely be used on the Pacific route. I was looking at having to travel via Hong Kong or Singapore to avoid them!

Great news, and will get to travel in a B777 to boot!

Cheers, FD :D

ratpoison
22nd Mar 2007, 02:57
Jetstar requirements get lower as they seek people who will work on their crap terms and conditions.

Yeah well, from what I hear, out of the 6 EK lads that went to Joke*, 4 are pullin the pin next month. It certainly appears that only after 6 months of operations,they have had enough of their "crap terms and conditions". Getting only 9 days off a month in Oz and the rest in some third world sh**hole aint exactly the "come home and live in Australia" crap that was sold to them. Hope things work out for you lads, your sadly missed from whence you came. :p

Going Boeing
22nd Mar 2007, 03:26
Flight Detent

Most of the Qantas staff are very happy that the competition on the Pacific route is a fellow Australian airline. We would much rather have the revenue (and profits) flow on to Australians.

HKG Phooey
22nd Mar 2007, 03:31
They are new?

wirgin blew
22nd Mar 2007, 04:34
In case they go for the same livery here is someones digital image of what could be:
VB 777-300ER (http://cardatabase.net/modifiedairlinerphotos/photos/big/00008261.jpg)

Buster Hyman
22nd Mar 2007, 04:47
Well, I never knew how easy it would be to make a 777 look fugly!

Do you reckon they'll have the local number emblazoned on the side of it???:confused:

xkred27
22nd Mar 2007, 05:22
Only problem with the picture is it has VIRGIN BLUE painted on it.
It will be a new airline don't forget. not VB , maybe PACIFIC BLUE or MAJOR BLUE. It will be cheap cheap cheap with crap T & C,s. Another one of BG hopless little outfits.

neville_nobody
22nd Mar 2007, 05:31
I hope Virgin have considered all the ETOPs implications of the 777.

Will they be getting a a ETOPS approval from day one with a brand new type in Australia? Virgin made a complete mess of their 737 ETOPs setup, so hopefully it will be right the 2nd time around.

On saying all that about time someone in Australia saw the light and got some 777 action down here.:ok:

Chronic Snoozer
22nd Mar 2007, 06:26
How about a new name for the airline 'Cabin blue', 'Bluey's taxi', 'I Blue on Virgin'??

ScottyDoo
22nd Mar 2007, 06:40
Blacken Blue.

Buster Hyman
22nd Mar 2007, 09:00
Blue, over a bluddy lot of blue airlines!:uhoh: