PDA

View Full Version : EY/EK employment package comparison

cf680c2b
21st Mar 2007, 07:09
The employment package for EK and EY are fairly competitive but I've noticed that there are 2 benefits that EK offers that EY doesn't. I did not see any medical benefits for Etihad and I did not see any retirement scheme. If Im wrong, please correct me. If my observation is correct, do you thing EY may eventually offer these aswell?

Vorsicht
21st Mar 2007, 10:38
If it's not there, it's not there. This is the middle east. If you make any decision on the expectation that things are going to improve, you are destined to be seriously frustrated

csek
21st Mar 2007, 16:59
Having gone from one to the other, there is a huge comparable difference.

This is what EK offers that EY doesnt

1. Provident fund (needed)
2. Loss of licence protection (definately needed)
3. Transportation to and from work (makes a difference)
4. Utilities paid for (makes a huge difference)
5. Exchange rate protection (good cause of the DHS pegged to US$)
6. Profit Sharing (a bonus)
7. Fully paid housing

Now thats officially. Now unofficially

1. Choice of rosters (for the whole month)
2. Better treatment by management (at least better than EY)
3. EK HR much better than EY
4. Communication (non existant in EY)
5. Procedures in place (No coordination between depts. in EY)
6. Its bloody expensive to live here!!!

Now thats my two cents ;)

cf680c2b
21st Mar 2007, 18:07
excellent post! from someone who would know. Yet, I couldn't figure out definitively where to where you made the move from.

I wonder if all the infastructure at EK has always been there or developed over time, but definitely sounds better organized.

Its hard to believe that Etihad does not even provide medical coverage for the employee and family. That is usaually a fundamental part of any employment package. Are EY folks buying their own medical coverage?:confused:

340-200
21st Mar 2007, 18:47
hello all.
i know 5 capts and 3 f/o whome used to be with us and left to etihad. yes, they had to buy medical ins from their pockets. The f/o there flying A330 makes around 29000 DHS. does f/o A330 at EK make the same? if not what's the difference.

Gold Falcon
21st Mar 2007, 19:07
Medical in Etihad provided thru National Insurance agency, DAMAN.

Severely Jetlagged
21st Mar 2007, 19:15
For EY I believe its US$500,000 worldwide medical coverage for you and your family.

Initially the Daman medical insurance was very restrictive but a lot of the restrictions have now been removed after complaints.

Loss of Licence insurance will apparently be introduced at EY sometime soon after quotes from the market are tabled.

fractional
21st Mar 2007, 19:22
For EY I believe its US$500,000 worldwide medical coverage for you and your family.
I believe this is just for the Employee only. I would be very surprised if it was otherwise... unfortunately. If you want worldwide for you and immediate family members, you may have to pay extra money.

Gold Falcon
21st Mar 2007, 19:30
Includes family members at no extra cost. Worldwide.

Severely Jetlagged
22nd Mar 2007, 02:41
Correct, the EY medical coverage is for yourself and family worldwide.

Bredrin
22nd Mar 2007, 06:33
Some of the ridiculous exclusions have been removed from Daman? It would be nice if that was communicated to the employees.

So, has it really?

fractional
22nd Mar 2007, 14:33
Includes family members at no extra cost. Worldwide.
This is good news! Given this, I presume the next big issue should be housing followed by the other pressing ones. One needs to feel happy at home. EY need to buy property or build their own and stay away from real estate speculators. Continuing dealing with other property owners won't take them anywhere. It's here in the UAE and everywhere else.

crab angle
22nd Mar 2007, 20:30
Thanks CSEK!

Very good post. I have been looking for this comparation for a long time.
Can you write something about housing in EY and in EK?
Do you know how "RENT TO BUY" programme works?
Did you choose a full furniture accomodation in EK? If yes, it has good furniture?

Cheers

cf680c2b
22nd Mar 2007, 20:34
What are the other pressing issues for EY folks. How would you list in order of importance the things you need and want (i.e. Housing, Retirement, Transportation, etc.)

Speaking of retirement.........how is the provident fund treating the EK guys, is it perfoming as expected or will you have to make additional arrangements to retire comfortably.

fractional
23rd Mar 2007, 09:34
What are the other pressing issues for EY folks. How would you list in order of importance the things you need and want (i.e. Housing, Retirement, Transportation, etc.)
One needs to live in Abu Dhabi therefore Housing is the N. 1 priority. The Summer is very hot and long and you need to feel good at home first before venturing out into shopping malls or the beach clubs. Shopping malls and beach clubs "eat" your money... FAST.
EK give you a good apartment for local standards. It may not be your best choice, but it is a (good) choice to start with comparing it with EY's experience of most. Retirement will have to be the next one. Also watch that $ going down again versus the €.

csek
25th Mar 2007, 19:19
Can you write something about housing in EY and in EK?
Do you know how "RENT TO BUY" programme works?
Did you choose a full furniture accomodation in EK? If yes, it has good furniture?

Gentlemen,

Housing in EK is definately much better, as EY are only getting anything they can get there hands on due to the lack of accomodation in Abu Dhabi.

Now lets look at it logically, a Capt. in EY gets housing allowances up to AED 120000 and an F/O gets AED 115000. YOU WILL NOT find anything decent for that amount of money in AUH. The supply of accomodation in AUH is low. Contact any pilot in EY that is getting the allowance who is not forking out money from there own pocket. If they are not, you will find that they are living pretty much in the outskirts in the desert with no facilities nearby. If you opt for company provided accomodation, you have to make do with what your given. Like it or lump it.

Now personally would not trust the "rent to buy" scenario. The UAE laws have still not been established properly in regards to real estate and the government are actually confused themselves. They can change the law at anytime, and YOU DONT have a leg to stand on. I will give you 2 examples.

A friend of mine purchased a house for 1.2 million dirhams and was told it was freehold. After all the papers were signed and he had been occupying his house for a year, he was then later told that he has to register his house for an additional 20000 DHS and he actually only owns the house and not the land it is on. If he wants the land, he has to pay a further 900,000 DHS???? Go figure :ugh: And he cant do anything about it!!!!

Another mate of mine purchased a house only to be told that the government want to build a highway through his house and he has no choice but to move. THERE IS NO LAW TO PROTECT HIM. NO COMPENSATION EITHER.

Now back to the third question, EK furniture is good, not exactly boudoir, but still good comparing to EY. It does the job and i dont have to fork out the money like I did in EY. Hope this helps Crab Angle

What are the other pressing issues for EY folks. How would you list in order of importance the things you need and want (i.e. Housing, Retirement, Transportation,

My biggest pressing issue in EY was loss of licence protection. I as a family man would like my wife and kids to be protected if anything were to happen to me. This can happen to any of us and I would not wish this upon any pilot. But you need to be protected. Provident fund is another huge one. With the decrease in spendable income due to the high living costs in the UAE, I was hugely worried as I was unable to put anything away after each month, only to get deeper in debt.

EY were getting pilots because there were not many jobs out there for us guys back then. Now with the pilot shortages especially in this region, EY are not attracting the numbers needed with the ridiculous package they are now offering.

Now just like supply and demand in real estate in the UAE, If supply is short, then the rent goes up. The supply is short of pilots, so the pay should go up. At least to atrract the right people.

As I always say, you pay peanuts, you will get monkeys!!

Its about time the management wake up and start treating people like people, and not like monkeys.

Good luck to you all my friends :ok:

Mad Camel
25th Mar 2007, 19:34
another good posting csek!

everything you said is correct!

will EY ever gonna change? hope they will. If not they just gonna scrap the bottom of the jar AND will only get left over, then safety will be a big issue.