PDA

View Full Version : UK Police -which companies work where?

heliteli
20th Mar 2007, 17:34
Where can I find out which companies fly for which air support units? I've looked in all of the obvious places but can't seem to find a good list. Most air support websites don't tend to say.

Thanks for your help

heliteli :)

FloaterNorthWest
20th Mar 2007, 17:57
Heliteli,
PremiAir (Von Essen Aviation)
PSNI (Aldergrove), Manchester (Fixed & Rotary), Merseyside, Central Counties (Wolverhampton), North Midlands (Ripley), Chiltern ASUs (Benson and Henlow), Surrey (Fairoaks) and leave relief for Lancashire ASU (Warton)
Direct employed. Met, Lancs, D&C, Sussex, Suffolk and North Wales.
FNW

handysnaks
20th Mar 2007, 18:32
And PAS, Dorset, Wilts, NE ASU (Teeside and Newcastle) and West Mids!

Helinut
20th Mar 2007, 18:46
I think you will find that Suffolk (Wattisham) are piloted by Aeromega (unless it has changed recently). Aeromega also fly for Cambridgeshire (Wyton) & Essex (Boreham)
Norfolk (part time) is flown by Sterling Aviation
South and East Wales (Cardiff) are operated by Veritair, but only until next year when Bond take over. The base may move then
Bond also fly for Strathclyde in Glasgow
Dyfed Powys are based in Carmarthen and directly employ
Mind you it may change a lot over the next year or two, when the police forces see the new rates for providing pilot services via the PITO Framework :) :) :D :ok:

ppheli
20th Mar 2007, 20:50
Then you could always complicate it further and look at who maintains each aircraft, and why some units are now doing that internally while most use a third-party supplier. And why some have a spare airframe in the contract and others do not. And so on..

flimflam
20th Mar 2007, 20:54
What is the PITO framework and how will it affect things?

Thomas coupling
20th Mar 2007, 22:40
The Framework agreement is a government (Home Office) exercise that streamlines procurement of services for the (in this instance) police air support units. Amongst other things it covers maintenance, purchase of aircraft and pilotage.
They invite tenders to supply all of this, from outside agencies. The tenders are competitive thus making the process of procurement - attractive and efficient to the end user.
The Framework is not compulsory, but should a client operate outwith the agreement, they may not get financial support from the H.O. and would most probably find that their experiences are a lot more expensive and exposed.
The new FA comes out next month and is valid for 3 years.
With regard to pilotage - this time round the service providers have taken the opportunity to attempt to realise actual profit. They have hiked the costs substantially and well above inflation (up to 40% in some circumstances).
The cost for a contract pilot is now well above that of a directly employed pilot, which for some forces may be enough to revisit the situation and reconsider employing their own.
Reasons for price rises: Suitably qualified pilot shortages as the mil pool dries up, and previously low contract pilot salaries.
Will the police swallow this whole, or will they question it?

Queen O' the Skies
20th Mar 2007, 23:34
To reply to heliteli's original post (although fairly comprehensive responses already give you the info that you require): try the British Helicopter Advisory Board (BHAB) Information Handbook, which also publishes contact names and numbers for many of the companies and units concerned.

heliteli
21st Mar 2007, 08:59
Thanks guys that was just what I needed.

Heliteli:)

jayteeto
21st Mar 2007, 10:57
With the current increase in costs (don't know the exact numbers, but I do know they are HORRENDUS, TCs figure scares me) I think that many forces will investigate the direct employ path very very soon. I just hope this years pay increase is as good as that......

FloaterNorthWest
21st Mar 2007, 11:32
Jayteeto,

Don't hold your breathe. Not only do you have a charter and engineering division to prop up you now have to subsidise a chain of hotels and a heliport.

:}

FNW

Helinut
21st Mar 2007, 13:19
TC,

Can you advise when the new rates would come into effect. I assume that it would only be when a contract was renewed, after the new PITO Framework?

Marco
21st Mar 2007, 13:56
I wasn't aware that Suffolk were directly employed but Western Counties at Filton certainly are.

Thomas coupling
21st Mar 2007, 17:11
Helinut: effective at renewal of the existing contract.