PDA

View Full Version : Flying for the SA police

vrystaat!
20th Mar 2007, 15:35
Recently I got some contact for a fixwing-pilot opening in the police in some parts of SA. Currently I got a good job and a good income and the only thing attracting this police-job is the fact of flying some turbine engin's. Can anybody that knows something about police-flying please give me your personal opinion about this toppic. :confused:

sky waiter
20th Mar 2007, 17:11
I also got a good job- but you can like to fly turbines cause its looking good on the logbook,and airlines also are loving it. :} :}

B Sousa
20th Mar 2007, 17:35
I know a few that remain with the SAP Air Wing. All are great guys and its a pretty good work enviornment. If you are not set in a career right now I think its a great opportunity. They have some good equipment and are well maintained. How long that will all last is unknown, but for the time being its a no brainer if you have the chance.
It will also give you the opportunity to study up to advance your ratings and who know maybe add on a helicopter rating.
Good Luck, I dont think you will regret it.
See ya at the Rotor Arms.

B200Drvr
20th Mar 2007, 20:56
To put it bluntly, If you're a Pale Male, you dont stand a chance!! Dont believe me? Then just try and get in!!!

B Sousa
20th Mar 2007, 22:41
Sooner or later it was bound to happen....That be the case, last one out of the Rotor arms.........set the fuses.

B Sousa
21st Mar 2007, 02:13
"without the P.T. involved."

yes, but a night at the Rotor Arms would make it worth it........

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Mar 2007, 04:04
Tried to join the reservists as a pilot but was told I should rather sit behind a desk at a some remote station at night so the bloke who's paid to be there can go home and have a good night's sleep. All this while their inexperienced new guys were breaking aeroplanes as fast as they could. Utilisation of resources, my spotty bottom....:*

CJ750
21st Mar 2007, 16:32
If you are joining the Police Airwing are you not then part of the SAP.

:ugh: The other thing is that a few years ago the guys on the BEECHJET were flying with only commercial licences. Are they still flying the Beechjet and now the Lear with comm's as well. What about the new aircraft that is above 20000 Lbs that our dear Mr Selebi has bought. Surely they need an ATP with a civil registered plane or do they fall under different rules on the civel register like the air force guys fling the BBJ............................

Q4NVS
21st Mar 2007, 22:39
What about the new aircraft that is above 20000 Lbs that our dear Mr Selebi has bought.

What would that be and does Glenn Agliotti have a share in it..?

:uhoh:

I.R.PIRATE
22nd Mar 2007, 11:34
CJ750, I dont think the cops are flying part 121 or part 135, so the licences held by the pilots is irrelevant to the issue. You can fly a 747 with a PPL in part 91 if want.

Besides, if you take one of those Beechjet pilots today, and make him write ATP and test tomorrow, will that make him a different pilot. I think not.