PDA

View Full Version : Single Pilot legality on Citation SP

Pace
20th Mar 2007, 09:30
I was told that single pilot on a Citation SP does not require a Single pilot endorsement if operated in the private category as long as the citation is an SP.

Can you also confirm whether on the N reg in Europe the co-pilot legally needs a type rating or SIC rating?

My guess is that the pilot needs to be single pilot endorsed to fly a Citation SP single pilot and the co-pilot needs at least a SIC rating to legalise the flight if the Captain doesnt have a single pilot endorsement?
I am talking private operations.

Thanks

Pace

Chilli Monster
20th Mar 2007, 11:55
was told that single pilot on a Citation SP does not require a Single pilot endorsement if operated in the private category as long as the citation is an SP.

Yes - aircraft is below 5700kg / 12,500lbs so no SPW required - just a type rating.

Can you also confirm whether on the N reg in Europe the co-pilot legally needs a type rating or SIC rating?

Yes - Europe doesn't recognise the SPW (Single Pilot Waiver) for the C550/560 series - so P2 requires an SiC rating (not that difficult to obtain, just a pain as it requires a visit to the US)

My guess is that the pilot needs to be single pilot endorsed to fly a Citation SP single pilot and the co-pilot needs at least a SIC rating to legalise the flight if the Captain doesnt have a single pilot endorsement?

Not quite. See answers above.

Grum
20th Mar 2007, 15:29
Double check with CAA.

I want to fly a C551 (ie C550 that is limited to MTOW of 12500 and certified for SP) privately. I have a C500 series typerating but was told that i have to do a 5 day single pilot course costing approx $11000.

If anyone knows differently please let me know. I know in the States they consider my rating sufficient to fly the 551 single pilot but here in Europe things appear to be different. :suspect:

Here's hoping someone has found a way round this.

Pace
20th Mar 2007, 18:50
the 551 is around 8000 ibs fuel 5000 ibs which is above the 12500 ibs before you think of passengers or luggage.

Other than the shortest trips with a light passenger load the 12500 ibs would be exceeded.

In that case it becomes a 2 pilot operation?

Pace

Chilli Monster
20th Mar 2007, 19:44
In that case it becomes a 2 pilot operation?

No - in that case you're operating it outside your maximum certificated Take off Mass, your flight becomes illegal and your insurance becomes invalid if you have an accident.

There's a huge trade off in payload v fuel in the 551 - that's why there aren't many of them in Europe.