PDA

View Full Version : Return of the 707 - City of Canberra

OZAZTEC
20th Mar 2007, 00:23
Return of the 777 (SIC)
http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/blahdocs/images/profile_sm.gif Author: Seven Network | Mar 19, 2007, 16:27
A thrilling documentary exploring a momentous occasion in Australian aviation history will be jetting to Channel 7 on Wednesday, April 4 at 7.30pm.

Australia now has back the first Boeing produced for Qantas – and the first sold outside of the US – more than 47 years after it first arrived Down Under.

The 1959 Boeing 707-1318B – known as the City of Canberra – which flew the likes of Fred Astaire, Gregory Peck and Bob Hope to our shores, has been restored to its former glory following one of aviation’s most technical restoration projects.

The painstaking process is captured in Return of the 707 – an hour-long documentary airing on Channel 7, which takes us back to the beginning of jet travel in Australia and details the arduous restoration process of the 707-1318B.

The jet was the first in Australian aviation history, making international travel more accessible and halving the flying time.

More than 60 volunteers put in 15,000 hours to restore the plane to its former glory, a feat believed to be unmatched in aviation history.

The volunteers came from all over Australia – former engineers, pilots and crew, all sharing a consuming passion for aviation – and helped along by a $1million grant from the Australian Government.

They scoured the world for the rare spare parts needed to get the aircraft back to flight readiness after it lay idle for six years in an English airfield at Southend-on-Sea.

The aircraft was earmarked for scrap until it was spotted by the Qantas Foundation Memorial (QFM) and following negotiations with the previous owner, the plane was gifted to the QFM who undertook the mammoth restoration project.

The City of Canberra’s final journey back to Australia was a 35,000km, eight-day journey through Ireland, the Canary Islands, Bermuda, the United States and Fiji.

The tour included a stop to visit Hollywood actor and Qantas ambassador John Travolta, who owns and pilots the last Qantas 707 in the fleet, which is painted in the Qantas livery of the 1960s. The documentary shows the two aircraft in Florida for an historical meeting.

It will fly to its new home at the Qantas Founders Museum in Longreach, Queensland at Easter.

“Return of the 707” airs on Channel 7 on Wednesday, April 4 at 7.30pm.

----------

Should be good - Well done Southend, my old stomping ground.

Buster Hyman
20th Mar 2007, 01:06
Is it true that it's in JetStar colours???:eek:

lowerlobe
20th Mar 2007, 01:52
Nice one Buster...

No but the crew did have to pay for meals and drinks on the flight home....

They brought their own pillows and blankets though:E

Mud Skipper
20th Mar 2007, 02:21
What day is it now schedualled into YLRE. Easter might be a good time for a drive:)

Jamair
20th Mar 2007, 10:08
ETA 1030 (0030UTC) Saturday 07-04-07.

SmallGlassofPort
20th Mar 2007, 18:46
Shoot me down if you wish, but would it not be better for an aircraft such as this, and in flying condition to be kept flying for the occasional airshow etc? Old birds flying overhead.... much better than a static display:D
Maybe I am wrong and this is the plan?

mingalababya
20th Mar 2007, 20:26
but would it not be better for an aircraft such as this, and in flying condition to be kept flying for the occasional airshow etc? Old birds flying overhead.... much better than a static display

I totally agree, especially after all that time and effort in making her airworthy again.

Thanks for the info OZAZTEC. Look forward to viewing the doco. :ok:

Mud Skipper
20th Mar 2007, 21:05
Thanks Jamair for the info.

I'm sure they would love to keep it flying, equally I'd expect the time and cost in doing so would be prohibitive, just to get it back to Oz must have been a Herculian effort. Well done boys.:)

Fris B. Fairing
20th Mar 2007, 23:23
Whilst it is a most noble aspiration to want to keep old aeroplanes flying, we need to get away from the mind set that it must be done in every case regardless of cost, for there are times when it just doesn't make sense. The money is better spent on saving other aeroplanes from the scrappers and putting a roof over them.

SmallGlassofPort
21st Mar 2007, 20:07
I understand what you Guys are saying re cost and it would likely be correct. But the cost to get this to flying condition to just bring home would have been massive.
For the effort the volunteers put in they must want to see it fly once in a while.... but maybe the achievement of that one flight was enough.
Either way, glad to see her home:}

aluminium persuader
21st Mar 2007, 20:56
I was lucky enough to work the old girl on airtest out of Southend a couple of months ago. Got them to do a low approach at Wattisham on the way home. If you're reading this, thanks BP! She really is beautiful.:ok:
http://www.ukar.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=9;t=25068;hl=qantas+and+wattisham
ap

mikeboggan
27th Mar 2007, 08:10
I have some wonderful photo's of the 707 during a visit to RAAF Richmond, here in New South Wales, Australia.
No interior shots, as that was banned by contractual agreement.
Can I post full size (4Meg) shots here, or do I have to compress them.

Mike.

tail wheel
27th Mar 2007, 12:29
You can post a link to your photos. Or you can post smaller pictures, maximum 640 x 480 (less than 100 kb) hosted on another site.

But if you even think about posting a 4 MB image here Danny will thow a terrible spat and possibly send you sit in the corner for at least the next month! Not to mention I will either delete the post or delete the thread - I don't have 20 minutes to wait for a graphics download!!!

:ugh:

Tail Wheel

Mike

Seeing as Capt Bloggs doesn't seem to have a sense of humour today (see below), if you don't know how to re-size and host photos on a web site, contact me by PM or email and I'll explain. If you are still stuck, email one of your best photos to [email protected] and I'll re-size, host for you, send you the link and explain how to post on PPRuNe.

Here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=203481) is a link to an explanation on posting pictures on PPRuNe.

If you want to have a go yourself, download Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm) to re-size pictures and get yourself a free picture hosting site at Photobucket (http://www.photobucket.com).

Can't remember but I think the PPRuNe software automatically blocks JPG images over 100 kb, around 800 x 600.

Tail Wheel

lowerlobe
27th Mar 2007, 23:48
Does anyone know where the 707 is at the moment and how long it will be there before it goes to Longreach?

Fris B. Fairing
28th Mar 2007, 01:07
lowerlobe
Currently the aeroplane is in Sydney, probably in Hangar 245.
You can find details of planned flights here (scroll to the foot of the page):
http://www.adastron.com/707/flyhome/diary-3.htm
Regards

lowerlobe
28th Mar 2007, 01:37
Fris B. Fairing.........Thanks for the info and web site.

Cheers
LL

Capn Bloggs
28th Mar 2007, 02:47
But if you even think about posting a 4 MB image here Danny will thow a terrible spat and possibly send you sit in the corner for at least the next month!
Typical. The poor guy probably doesn't know the first thing about graphics, let alone resizing them for the web or hosting them, and all he does is get bashed with a cricket bat. Who's banging who's head against a brick wall?

What outstanding shots of the 707!

ForkTailedDrKiller
29th Mar 2007, 13:10
Rumour has it that the 707 is now NOT GOING TO LAND at LRE, but will do 3 low passes and return to Sydney.

Anyone have the good oil on this?

Dr:cool:

Fris B. Fairing
29th Mar 2007, 21:19
Here is said good oil:
http://www.adastron.com/707/qfm/707-news.htm

ForkTailedDrKiller
29th Mar 2007, 22:38
Ah! Decisions, decisions!

Do I go to LRE on Easter Saturday to wave to XBA when I still have to go back before June 30 for a more up close and personnel greeting?

Will the same sparkling company be there?

Torres
30th Mar 2007, 07:15
If it's not landing I probably won't go to LRE at Easter, although I must go there on business very soon.

I'll save my drinking arm for the Christening Party when it makes it's final landing.

What is Jamair doing?

Jamair
30th Mar 2007, 10:46
Heya Torres - Nup; I just found out the same (was at LRE last W/E) and will be reserving my 'party hours' for the final instalment.

OZAZTEC
3rd Apr 2007, 22:33
Tonight's the Night

ForkTailedDrKiller
4th Apr 2007, 00:16
For what?

Animalclub
4th Apr 2007, 03:01
OSAZTEC is obviously married!!!

kingtoad
4th Apr 2007, 05:44
Yes - tonight's the night. I'm married too :ouch: .
I'm going to ask the missus if I can have a couple of flying buddies over for tea and bikkies - or maybe even a Gingerbeer ....

Minimbah
4th Apr 2007, 05:50
Channel 7, 1930 hours, 707.

Dog One
4th Apr 2007, 11:50
I think that the engineering team that restored the aircraft for the return flight did a magnificent job. Its a real shame that the aircraft will finish up at LRE and not fly again, but one has to be realistic that the cost of operating it would be very expensive, but it would be nice to see it fly for at least 12 months.

Once again gents, congratulations on a job well done.

Eastwest Loco
4th Apr 2007, 13:19
How bloody magnificent was it to see the P & Ws pumping out a lovely black cloud behind them?

The guys and girls involved in restoring the aeroplane and the crew deserve medals. :ok:

Great presentation by 7 and just so wonderful to see the old girl strutting her stuff in a magnificently noisy manner. Stuff your high bypass - give us NOISE!
What a damn magnificent aeroplane.

Hindsight is 20/20, but doesn't it look better than what those who are milking it for the Rat have in mind for our futures?

I would so love to be in LRE for the refusals and the final arrival.

Best all

EWL

stubby jumbo
4th Apr 2007, 20:27
Loved the scene in the doco where the first 707 did 2 BARRELL ROLLS at the media launch..unannounced.

Thats gutsy.

Wonder if we'll get to see the A-380 do the same???

Some how I don't think so.!!

lowerlobe
4th Apr 2007, 21:01
The post by Eastwest Loco made me think...

Is it possible that because of noise and pollution requirements the 707 can't continue to fly.That is apart from the cost from maintenance and fuel not to mention insurance which must be huge.

A pity though especially when you see aircraft older than she is flying in the UK and the US.

squawk6969
4th Apr 2007, 21:29
And maybe the list of borrowed parts to get her here (and to be returned) probably includes some important flying bits:eek: .

Nostalgia at a price one could say, and best bang for buck is probably to park her and admire her from LRE.

Heard a rumour that the owners may not be fully the museum :ooh: (bought for $1 maybe) and there are some restrictions on her from that........anybody know about this?

SQ6969

tinpis
5th Apr 2007, 05:10
JT uniform looked better on him than the quantas crews
Was that a T11 JT had or a single seat Venom?

Animalclub
5th Apr 2007, 12:04
The presenter called it a Vampire.

Ozgrade3
6th Apr 2007, 02:57
I say stuff the cost to keep it flying, the gov should stump up the $$$ to keeo the old girl flying. Even if it was 10 million a year, its a drop in the bucket compared to the millions or billions of $$ wasted every year supporting dope smoking lazy bogans who wont get a job.

ForkTailedDrKiller
13th Apr 2007, 07:39
OK, so did it turn up at YLRE, miss a couple of times and depart?

Was anyone there to watch?

Just curious?

Fris B. Fairing
13th Apr 2007, 08:09
Sure did. Scroll down to 07 April.
http://www.adastron.com/707/flyhome/diary-3.htm
Regards

Taildragger67
13th Apr 2007, 08:34
Maybe a bit of the $4bn APA are looking to rip out of the company could be put towards keeping -XBA airworthy.

But that'd only happen if it helped some wunch of Macquarie bankers make yet more lucre. :ugh: