PDA

View Full Version : GECAT A320 SSTR - Who has jobs yet??

cloud-surfer
19th Mar 2007, 18:37
Was contemplating starting an A320 SSTR with GECAT at Gatwick, and i have a few questions Iwould be very happy if anyone out there could answer.

1. How would current and past students rate their quality of training?
2. How long did it take for students to gain their first position?
3. Was this through GECAT or by your/their own perserverence?
4. Anything else that youthink that i should know before I embark upon the course?

Thanks for your help on this matter, because I have been hearing differing viewpoints.

All help and information is really appreciated.

SinBin
19th Mar 2007, 22:15
Apparently there is some interest from Qatar Airways. Who knows, I'm hoping I won't have to go now.
BMI and BMED are still recruiting by the way.

:suspect:

SinBin
20th Mar 2007, 11:43
I know this, hence the reason I'm hoping I won't have to go to GECAT, I'm already booked on a course there, however my situation may change this week hopefully with one of those airlines. They're paying for the lot if successful!

This has nothing to do with GECAT.

CLEAR4T/O
20th Mar 2007, 21:00
Hey cloud-surfer,
Here's my input:
1. How would current and past students rate their quality of training?
Past student and would definitely recommend GECAT. Most of the training is provided through a third party called IAGO. They have a great bunch of guys that seen me through.
2. How long did it take for students to gain their first position?
I know of 9 guys (including myself) that now have jobs. This is only based on the guys that I trained with and the ones I now work beside. We started the SSTR in November/December and most are already on-line with uk airlines.
3. Was this through GECAT or by your/their own perseverance?
All the guys I know (myself included) got the job through own perseverance
4. Anything else that you think that i should know before I embark upon the course?
At the end of the day it is still a risk. My success story, along with the other guys, may well be a one off. For me it was definitely worth while and I'm not looking back:)
There is a lot of movement at the moment but who knows what that will be like when you complete your training. I am sure it will stay that way for a while to come.
Hope that helps a little,
Cheers.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
20th Mar 2007, 21:42
Cloud Surfer,

I had the pleasure of being on the same course as CLEAR4/TO, except he dwarfed me with his skygod like qualities ;) (will see you at LHR sir), and can back up his comments.

From a personal point of view GECAT have been very supportive and I would recommend them to anybody who was considering the course.

Good luck with it.

SinBin
21st Mar 2007, 11:16
CAT 3 How's you're first week going mate?

CAT3C AUTOLAND
24th Mar 2007, 22:43
Very well mate, thanks for asking.

Came into LHR last night from Amsterdam on an observation flight, had a fantastic view of London (all lit up) left hand downwind on 09L, absolutely delightful :ok:.

Let me know how you get on. All the best.

The Hedge
26th Mar 2007, 19:14
All 4 on a January course got jobs within 3 weeks. All off their own backs.

Bloody great blokes they were too!!!;)

tom775257
26th Mar 2007, 20:06
GECAT was really good for the 320 series SSTR IMHO. Many instructors were great at GECAT (special mention to Cpt. D. Lazarus. who I thought was an excellent instructor - and a bit of a legend among our four)
I had my first jet job about 1 month after finishing.
Tom.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
26th Mar 2007, 20:14
Claycomm,

GECAT have just put the price up by a thousand quid. I think from memory you are looking at £17995 and £4800 for your base training :eek:.

So you won't get much change out of £23K, better start saving up your pocket money ;).

wbryce
27th Mar 2007, 09:27
silly question, does the A320TR include the A319/8 ? Or is there difference training?

PaulW
27th Mar 2007, 12:11
No difference training but rating is for a320-200 family 18/19/20/21. All ground school and flying is based on CFM engines but there isnt much difference for IAEs (unless training for destination airline). Any differences youll do on your airlines conversion course.

SinBin
27th Mar 2007, 18:48
Well, I have to be honest I'm no longer doing of a SSTR as I've just been offered a jet job, with a major UK airline. They pay for the lot!

Good luck to you all in your search!

CAT3C AUTOLAND
28th Mar 2007, 19:17
Well done SinBin, enjoy the A320.

onedaymaybe?
29th Mar 2007, 10:20
I did the GECAT SSTR some 2 1/2 years ago..along with about 5 other guys..We all ended up with jobs.

I had no contacts at the beginning of the course, but with plenty of C.V writing and phone calls , landed a job within 1 month. It took me 10 months to get my second job back here in the UK..

GECAT were fantastic and went over the top to help me and even after the course were helpful.

The base training was organised within a week of the LPC, and it was during the base training that I was asked if I was interested in a job.. 1 month later I was flying the A320 on line training.

As said previously by others the rating is for A318/319/320/321...and information on the A321 is given during the course.

The sim instructors we had for the training were brilliant and made the LPC fun and straight forward.

MrHorgy
11th Apr 2007, 09:40
Just spoken to GECAT today, apparantly they have no space until August time, but are accepting "emails of interest" and you'll get a message when the programme restarts. The email address is on the webpage.

From the 90 they trained last year, I think it was mentioned that only 6 hadn't found employment yet!

Horgy

JetMouse
13th Apr 2007, 14:25
Just out of interest - how did you guys who did the SSTR fund the training? Do GECAT give you any info/help on obtaining a loan? Or did you go out and get a standard loan?
Thanks...

tony2F
13th Apr 2007, 22:46
Would any of the ex- Gecat A320 type people, care to say where they got employment. Basically , which operators in the UK are taking zero hour typed pilots. I'm based in ireland so would be interested especially if any of you got jobs in ireland ( aer lingus, easy or other ) !!! Thanks ;)

CAT3C AUTOLAND
14th Apr 2007, 15:20
Jet Mouse, as far as I know, GECAT give no help on the financial side, you will have to arrange the money required yourself.

Tony2F, you will find at the moment, alot of airlines are taking people with 0 hours on type that have type ratings. At BMI, guys with 250 hours are being recruited and being put straight onto the Airbus, with no type rating at all, things are definately looking up for freshly qualified pilots. With regard to GECAT, they have placed people with Air Malta, BMI (usually off the students own back, so far this year anyway), Aer Lingus, Monarch, Thomas Cook and First Choice. I am sure there are more, but those are the ones that spring to mind.

Hope that helps.

Flypiggy
20th Apr 2007, 11:24
Left GECAT after getting my airbus ticket winter 2006 and within 2 months got a job with a major charter airline. I got the job off my own back not placed by GECAT and I believe this has been the case for most people..

If you do choose to take up a SS TR with them, don't expect them to give too much of a sh*t once you have left and they have your money.. however if you put the effort in, there are definitely definitley jobs to be had with a TR and zero hours on type.. I would recommend anyone to go down the SS TR route and from all the people who I know who have been through various different TRTOs I would say it is easier to get a job with Airbus TR rather than 737 (but thats just from my experience)

enjoy ;)

bluesflyer2811
23rd Apr 2007, 16:19
Hi,
I'm a new member,i have a question about the simulator reccurrent.
As we know that the simulator reccurent for captain is every 6 month,
I would like to know about simulator recurrent for A320F F/O,is that every 6 month also or 12 month?
Thanks for the answer.

alex111
24th Apr 2007, 11:54
Hello everyone, just wondering if any1 had been called for sim assessment from GECAT in the past few months; I've been sending them CV's for their type rating program to this email [email protected] ([email protected]) since january on a monthly basis but got no response whatsoever :ugh: ...

thanx, alex.

SinBin
24th Apr 2007, 15:01
Try Debbie French

kuchemann carrots
26th Apr 2007, 12:16
I spoke to GECAT a month back, and they mentioned that they had currently suspended their type rating scheme. I tried calling today, but the lady was not in the office, does anyone have any new info of when the scheme will become active again?

alex111
26th Apr 2007, 13:11
Well I had been waiting a while too for an answer and yesterday they finally emailed me back.... apparently there's only a few places left on a July\August course on the A320...

alex.

Greg.M
16th Oct 2010, 11:19
Has anyone recently done the SSTR with OAA (GECAT)? If so, did you get jobs soon after?

I am currently an instructor with around 2500 hours. My students are getting interviews who have 300 hours!! so not sure where i am going wrong!

looking into SSTR on A320 any information will be grateful

Greg

Superpilot
17th Oct 2010, 10:06
Hi Greg, did an SSTR around 2 years ago. OAA/SAS (formerly GECAT) are just not interested in putting forward SSTR students for any role. Not even the chance of a fair assessment. Since the buyout I've not heard of a single non Integrated trained students being put forward for an assessment.

I would strongly advise you to choose a TRTO that has established links with airlines and DOES NOT discriminate against pilots who have not come through the Oxford Integrated machine.

tony2F
17th Oct 2010, 10:12
Sorry but you're not gonna want to hear this, be patient and apply apply apply, because even the TRTO's that run schemes for the airlines and proclaim to be linked, also leave you high and dry. Do your type rating through the airline that employs you otherwise be prepared for disappointment....

PAPI-74
17th Oct 2010, 11:04
Paying for a TR without a job offer - are you nuts???:eek:

turbine100
17th Oct 2010, 16:47
Out of interest I contacted CTC regarding Flexi crew and SSTR as I heard they were placing people with EZY a few weeks ago.

They told me that if I paid for a type rating, non of their partner airlines would take me on, based on no experienced etc. It did make me think as I know from someone in EZY that they are getting short and people are leaving.

I can only think they were not interested and quite frankly wanted to place their low houred cadets as they also have no experience.

I was only interested as I finished training a few years ago and been flying single pilot commercially without any debts and want to join a multi crew operator etc.

Greg.M
18th Oct 2010, 21:15
Thanks for the info. Yes, I thought about the oxford lot getting in there first! damn..... never mind i'll keep researching and applying!!!

Greg