PDA

View Full Version : Those who haven't got a flying job?

robione
19th Mar 2007, 11:05
This is not a :Where are they now question,its a genuine request to find out the paths people have taken,who like myself have been down the Pro Flite training path gained a licence but,forwhatever reason find themselves outside aviation.I did the modular route gaining a Frozen ATPL,instructor and now run a small Hackney carriage company.
I have been reading various threads and see reference from Pilots who
:i did the ------course 5 yrs ago, still paying the bank back,employed in whatever.....
im not alone then.
It would be interesting to see what people are doing who are not flying.
So here,s mine
PPL 1987 Liverpool
IMC Shropshire 1989
Night Liverpool 1990
PPSC atpls 2000.
CPL-Multi Lpool 2001
Instructor Lpool 2001
IR Bristol 2002.
Currently not flying running Cab business.
ide really like to see other peoples posts as to what are they doing now as opposed to :Where are they now:

jongriff
19th Mar 2007, 11:15
Hi Robione

Are you still managing to fly at all or is it all on hold?

If you don't mind me asking which schools did you do modular with? and do you think this had an impact on job hunting?

Jinkster
22nd Mar 2007, 00:04
can i ask how many cv's you have sent out recently? are all ratings current? do you actively seek airline employment?

WindSheer
22nd Mar 2007, 02:49
Hi Robione.

The thing that strikes me about your stats is the 10 year gap between your night rating and atpls. This was obviously down to your circumstances at the time!
The one thing I have learnt that airlines look for is the continuity of quality training. Could this be a factor in your applications.....??
I assume your ratings have expired now, if not keep in there my good man!!

P.s. I am still early PPL, so its nice to get a few stories like this on here!!

All the best :ok:

bunnywabbit
22nd Mar 2007, 11:54
Houses 50K this year!

tonyrubini
22nd Mar 2007, 12:34
Pilots that have a job, or who got this position with a little effort might not understand it. It's a frustration to find ALWAYS the doors closed.

1986 PPL
1990 CPL - CFI & CFII (U.S.)
2001 CPL - Italy
2002 MD 82 Type rating
2003 JAR ATPL (frozen)
2004/2005 some turboprop experiences with skydivers
2007 MD 82 renewal

I'm still without a flying job.... my star is not enough bright......

have a nice day

kilafaki
23rd Mar 2007, 13:23
God idea, lets here from all of them who is not yet succelfull, might keep a few hopefull wannabees from becoming hopless lowtime pilots.

For the last 3 years i have been working as a Taxi driver, undtil last year i had a Danish CPL, but 6 months ago i had the opportunity to change it to a JAR-CPL, so now i am applaying all over Europe, but still no luck.

1996: Glider pilots licence
1999: Commercial theori
2000: PPL
2001: CPL+SEIR
2001: ATPL-theori
2004: MEIR
2006: JAR-CPL licence + ATPL theori.

Total time:1300
IFR : 200
MEIR : 30

And i am considered a lowtimer when i apply???

Now i am 33 and not sure if i will make it.

Wannabees be ware, there are lots of guys who never make it.

SinBin
23rd Mar 2007, 14:01
Make sure your CV is good, get it proof read by professional pilots. As soon as I did this I got an interview and sim check with a jet carrier. Now waiting a phone call to say yes hopefully. I've never had it easy but suddenly you get a big break. Networking works wonders to. You get given a name to send to and voila, INTERVIEW! Been waiting months since finishing, just when you lose all hope, comes your big break.

It is true some will never make it, as they don't meet the personality and piloting skills that airlines want and probably never will, but this is the same in any industry.

Stick with it, it will happen if you want it enough!

Tonirubini, Can I ask why you went and got an MD83 TR, wouldn't it have been more prudent getting a 737 or A320 TR? Your choice I guess.

tonyrubini
23rd Mar 2007, 16:13
Hi SinBin,

I had a good opportunity in the year 2002, but the company went in bankruptcy two months after I completed my training.

Beside the kind of airplane you fly, I live in italy, a country were connections are a "MUST" and the personality and piloting skills come as second request. I know that nobody wants to hear that, but sorry... I can bring hundreds of examples....

I have been trying with many others foregners companies, but they ask for experience on type; wonder how can I get experience without a flying job.

However, I will keep on trying, the MD 83 is a very nice plane.

ciao

Tony