PDA

View Full Version : EY 777 Shorthaul/Regional Fleet ??

Firbolgs
19th Mar 2007, 05:08
Having just looked through the schedule/equipment for the coming months I am amazed at the number of short sectors the 777-300 is bieng used on.
MNL/CGK seem to be the only long sectors!

It would appear the commercial guys are unaware of the capability of this a/c, maybe a trip down the road to EK would let them see what it should be used for!....or maybe ask the guys at Boeing....:ugh:
Better still put some folks with aviation knowledge in the dept!!:}

Bezi l
19th Mar 2007, 08:38
Firblogs - Doesn't EY have an all wide-bodied fleet???? A330's, A340's, B777's & 767??? So what aircraft do you suggest that they operate their shorthaul sectors on??

Noticed on Flight International that they're advertising for positions in their planning department - why don't you apply??

Thylakoid
19th Mar 2007, 12:26
Don't get too excited:)
We, at EK, do a lot of Dohas non-stop, using B777.
A few years ago, it was considered having a small fleet of narrow bodies to do these sectors around in the Gulf; apparently, the higher brass dimissed it as being not flexible enough.

loofah
19th Mar 2007, 14:26
Why would they want to put a 354K ton aeroplane (ER) on a Riyadh? Perhaps it's because they need 378 seats.

inverter
19th Mar 2007, 15:24
Perhaps not all the pilots are or could be the ones that would adapt and achieve the in-depth knowledge of an airline's commercial departmet strategy! (small or big planes:uhoh: ). Or even try to grab the fact that it might be an aircraft of big size to them and not the guys behind desks that get paid far more better than the stick pushers and who also have the ability to decide what aircraft would be generating REVENUE for the company:cool: !{of course not the pilots}
Guys at EY & EK, flying the 354K (loofah and alike)please go thru the market and airlines within the South-east Asia and observe what equipment is being used on a 25-30mins flights between most of the airports there.
For the starters look at a B747-400 from Maccau to Taipei.
For an excitement task, you guys look for the Airlines, ain't going to tell you:= .
Happy hunting and stop worrying about the airlines for using whatever suits them and not you because you have to work extra hard on short hauls for that 85-90 hours overtime:p

Firbolgs
19th Mar 2007, 16:11
Bezi thanks Im well aware of the EY fleet...

The 378 seats are very rarely full, most of the time we are lucky if we get more than 50% load factor on these short hops....
I wonder why the flt planning dept has vacancies!::rolleyes:

noflare
19th Mar 2007, 16:20
Firbolgs, it is a waste of an aeroplane but its their trainset and they do whatever they like......no point worrying about it, once they run up the cycles they will buy new ones....common sense is not part of the planning!

Just enjoy flying the beast!:}

ironbutt57
19th Mar 2007, 16:25
Doubt it would be profitable even if it were full...as the revenue would be eaten up by the inevitable cost of the cycles

Desert Diner
20th Mar 2007, 04:11
I'm sure there are plenty of salesmen around trying to convince them about the benefits of regional jets:}

loofah
20th Mar 2007, 04:26
Inverter,don't confuse me with someone who cares. I never inferred that short routes meant small aircraft. I am well aware of a/c utilisation in the Far East and have spent years flying 400 punters around on short sectors. Horses for courses.
What I was inferring is that perhaps someone does know what they are doing by using an a/c back from BKK at lunchtime, to pick up a 58 ton load (let's not forget the freight) from DMM or RUH, rather than have it sit on the ground before its evening return to wherever.
Personally, I like the short sectors and now that we are salaried I like them even more!
Ironbutt - cycles? Twaddle.:)

Desert Diner
20th Mar 2007, 16:32
lads,

The main reason the likes of EK, EY, GF, QR, etc. fly the short hauls in the ME is to fill their long hauls so they use the same planes they want to fill up.

If the intention was to make the short haul flights a profit center, they would buy small planes, raise their exhorbitant fares even more and still lose their shirts.

The "Business Model" that is used by the local carriers simply doesn't make sense to anyone, including the carriers themselves.

BusyB
20th Mar 2007, 16:41
In some cases the parking charge means its cheaper to fly it elsewhere to park cheaply and possibly use it for training. Common practice with CX.:)

ironbutt57
21st Mar 2007, 03:57
twaddle....hope EY never has to make money they will discover the cost of "twaddle"

loofah
21st Mar 2007, 09:56
twaddle- now back to the original post. Firbolgs is amazed at the number of short sectors, so do 'they' know what they are doing or not? By the way, the a/c is also doing KUL and JNB as well as CGK and MNL and mainly fills in on the 'spare' afternoon to KWI,RUH,IKA, etc Excellent aircraft scheduling if I may say so and wonderful utilisation of a superb aeroplane.:ok:

noflare
22nd Mar 2007, 04:30
Sorry loofah but IB is correct, the vast majority of these short sectors are neither full of Pax or freight.....these a/c will be ruined in a very short time!

As for the salaried bit well.......twaddle....if you fly 777 L seat you will be worse off....do the sums.

Ah well off to rest before another non stop KWI!!:}