PDA

View Full Version : India and customs

Jimmy The Big Greek
19th Mar 2007, 01:04
Was reading a travel guide and it stated that the customs in India are very stringent.
Are you allowed to bring your ipod and laptop?

computer jockey
19th Mar 2007, 08:07
Are you allowed to bring your ipod and laptop?Absolutely no problem. I've been travelling to and from India for the last 3 years and never once had any hassles with customs.

I always arrive at BOM and usually with one small trolley bag and more often than not, I am waved through without having to pass the luggage through the scanner, where there is usually a long queue.

Just make sure that you fill in the tear-off slip on the bottom of the landing card - this will be given back to you with your passport at immigration, and you need to give this to a customs official after you pass through customs. If you do have anything to declare, then you will need to go to the red "channel". Those few people I know who have had to do it (mostly Indian ex-pats returning home) say the process is relatively painless, but time consuming.

Enjoy India!

divinesoul
19th Mar 2007, 08:59
The customs guys usually check the size of luggage u are carrying with you.

If it is small or just about right for 1 person then they let u go no hassles.But when they see big cartons and boxes then they will ask what you have in there and if they have the slightest of suspicion that u are carrying goods to be paid duty then they tell you to put it in a bigger X Ray scanner that they have.

so the key here is to avoid carrying huge boxes.Carry items that is just about right for one person.

Moreover if you are coming in as a tourist then you wont have any hassles with customs.Its only when u leave India that they are going to have a closer look at ur luggage.

Are you allowed to bring your ipod and laptop?

As long as it is for your personal use and you take it back with you when u leave India you wouldnt have a problem.

cheers.

PS:-If you have to pay customs duty then pay dont allow any money to go into these custom guys pockets.

Jimmy The Big Greek
19th Mar 2007, 10:38
Thank you very much for your info.