PDA

View Full Version : FO/SO Interview Differences

shankdown
18th Mar 2007, 23:54
Just a couple of questions in regards to Cathay and their interview processes:

1. Does Cathay hold those being interviewed for DEFO to a higher technical standard than those interviewing for SO?

2. Do their technical questions refer to they type of flying you've been doing/airplane you've been flying? For example, would they ask about Q-Feel if you've never flown an airplane that has it installed? Or about 'assumed temperatures' if you don't incorporate them into operation with the engines/FMC that you currently use?

Those are just a few questions for y'all, and I'm bound to show up here with more! Thanks in advance.

Shankdown

Say Altitude
19th Mar 2007, 23:45
And as a follow up to Shankdown's questions, if you do your initial/2nd interview for a SO position, pass, and are offered an SO spot but by the time you have a ground school scheduled you meet the DEFO time requirements, is CX open to moving you across? Has it been done before? If so what additional work, if any, was done to make it happen?

BigPimpin
20th Mar 2007, 00:26
The last time I checked, if you interviewed for DESO, they will have you join as a SO. I was told that if you want DEFO instead, you gonna have to go through the whole interview process.:\

blue_side_up
20th Mar 2007, 12:59
I know a former colleague of mine who did exactly that - he interviewed as an SO. While waiting for a groundschool date he flew several hundred more hours, called them at that point, and they agreed to put him in a FO course.
He interviewed about 20months ago, joined about a year ago.

luvmuhud
20th Mar 2007, 13:56
From what I've heard from mates who have interviewed for both FO and SO in the past 12 months, there is no difference. It seems as though the questions are based on who you get as a interviewer, and not any more complex rationale.
They will definitely ask questions completely unrelated to your flying experience. There is plenty of gouge out there on the type of questions asked, but basically, have a good working knowledge of 'Handling the Big Jets' (not 'Flying the Big Jets'), and anything from your ATPL subjects is fair game.

Good Luck

Say Altitude
20th Mar 2007, 15:02
"I know a former colleague of mine who did exactly that - he interviewed as an SO. While waiting for a groundschool date he flew several hundred more hours, called them at that point, and they agreed to put him in a FO course.
He interviewed about 20months ago, joined about a year ago."

Perfect, thanks. Just what I wanted to hear.