PDA

View Full Version : Roma accident

Desert Duck
18th Mar 2007, 07:27
Any info on aircraft accident at Roma.

Apparently no one was seriously injured

Harry Cooper
18th Mar 2007, 11:27
From what I've heard there were 4 on board, 3 are stable in Roma Hospital and the fourth was airlifted to Brisbane this evening with spinal injuries.

Jamair
18th Mar 2007, 12:17
Any info on a/c type or operator?:ooh:

OpsNormal
18th Mar 2007, 22:50
PA28 (not a "very" local one), from what I understand EFATO onto a road.

Torres
19th Mar 2007, 00:22
Courtesy Toowoomba The Chronicle
March 19, 2007.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Woomera/Cherokee1.jpg
Passengers walk away from wreckage
Lucky to be alive
Four people were lucky to survive a serious plane crash yesterday afternoon, when their light aircraft lost power just minutes after take off from the Roma airport.
The party were heading home to Longreach after a day out at the Roma Picnic Races at Bassett Park on Sunday.
The 25 year old female pilot wasforced to make an emergency landing in a paddock.
The Piper Cherokee aircraft clipped a fence causing the plane tooverturn on Euthulla Road, about 5 kms north of Roma.
The pilot and her three passengers managed to free themselves from the crumpled wreckage before help arrived.
The four were taken by Queensland Ambulance Service to Roma Hospital.
An Ambulance spokesperson said the pilot complained of back and shoulder pain and the other female passenger, who was21, complained of lower back pain.
Both the pilot and her female passenger walked from Roma Hospital late yesterday.
Dective Senior Constable Craig Gregory of Roma CIB said the women had lucky escapes with scratches and bruising.
An ambulance spokesperson said both male passengers, aged 19 and21, were taken to the hospital with suspected spinal injuries.
Dective Senior Constable Gregory said one man suffered a broken nose and broken cheekbone as well as back injury.
The other he said, was being kept in hospital as a precautionary measure to monitor a back injury.
The Roma Fire Brigade cleaned up a minor fuel spillfrom one of the wings. The scene was declared safe shortly after 1.30 pm.
District Inspector Graham Coleman of Roma Police attended the scene before advising the Australian Transport Safety Bureau.
Police investigations to determine the exact cause of the crash are continuing.

--------------------------------------------

Can't read the rego from the paper - maybe VH-D??K or N?? Don't recognise the aircraft from around here, but it may be.

Sounds like EFATO rather than FTNNN (Finger trouble, now no noise!).

Looking at all the bits that used to be a Piper, I guess they were lucky.

VH-XXX
19th Mar 2007, 03:08
Looks like VH-CIK from Melbourne

VH CIK.
Power Driven Aeroplane with tricycle-fixed landing gear
Single Piston engine
Manufacturer: PIPER AIRCRAFT CORP
Model: PA-28-161
Serial number: 28-7816668
Aircraft first registered in Australia: 15 November 1978

Mr.Buzzy
19th Mar 2007, 04:22
Looks like another wreck for D.B to park behind his hangar.

bbbbbzbzzzzzzzzzz

Diatryma
19th Mar 2007, 04:23
Actually VH-DNN from Longreach.

Di :rolleyes:

Torres
19th Mar 2007, 05:29
I don't think DB is associated with the Roma hangar any longer. Not even sure if he's still involved in aviation.

Could be VH-DNN, makes sense - the registration holder is resident in Longreach. If so, it is a PA-28-180. Just looked at the newspaper photo again but that bit of the Cherokee is too distorted to tell.

Crossbleed
19th Mar 2007, 07:36
QF application being fast tracked as we speak..
oops, bit early that one.:ouch:

VH-XXX
19th Mar 2007, 09:51
Are you for real? Can you read? The rego is written on the aircraft in the picture!

I can tell you, it ain't DNN...

Jamair
19th Mar 2007, 10:50
A guy ON THE SPOT confirms the rego and origin per Torres:rolleyes: PA28-180. 4 adults in a 28-161.....:eek: probably not.

DB is still lurking around; story said to be that he 'sold' the Roma interests to molify the taxman and has consolidated at his other (northern) base..... :hmm:

VH-XXX
19th Mar 2007, 11:31
I still maintain that you can't read.

What a striking coincidence that CIK just happens to also be a PA28!

That ain't no DNN, turn your screen upside down.

http://users.netconnect.com.au/~njah1/cherokee2.jpg

27/09
19th Mar 2007, 20:40
VH-XXX

Would have to agree with you on first glance at pic.

Looking closer at the pic the third letter of rego looks more like a D than a C.

The left hand side of the letter looks to be straight and not curved like it would be if it were a C. Compare it with the straight parts of the H.

Its very hard to tell what the last two letters are, certainly the last one could be a K. Just like the third letter not all parts of the last two letters are legible. The diagonal part of the N could make what we see look like a K.

I tend to go with what the man on the spot can see as noted in Jamair's post.

Also the wing in the picture looks like the old slab wing fitted to the 180 and not the longer semi tapered wing fitted to the 161

Diatryma
19th Mar 2007, 22:31
Well the photo just goes to show that you can't always believe what you read in the press Guys!

It is VH-DNN.

Cheers,

Di :ok:

Torres
20th Mar 2007, 02:05
Courtesy of todays Western Star

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Woomera/Cherokee180.jpg

VH-DNN it is! Won't post the newspaper article but it does indicate the aircraft went back to Longreach by road on Monday. The owner stated in the paper "....I own seven aircraft as my primary business, but I've lost three planes in separate circumstances in the past few weeks. I'm trying to run a business but it's tough - it all costs a lot of money and time."

Jamair, I heard similar. The Roma wreck parts are being sold off by someone in Brisbane who I think may have been involved with DB. The hangar is currently not being used for maintenance, think only our local MP keeps his Mooney in it when in Roma. The containers etc are still here.

VH-XXX
20th Mar 2007, 03:04
Truly amazing. I retract that and shall shoot my informant. Amazing what a bit of light will do at the wrong angle.

Diatryma
20th Mar 2007, 03:08
So I can cancel that English class I'd arranged then VH-XXX ???

Di :O

Jamair
20th Mar 2007, 10:00
Like I said "A guy ON THE SPOT confirms the rego"

Yeah Torres, note the 'sold' was in inverted commas......maybe I can give you the goss at LRE in a couple weeks;)

Desert Duck
20th Mar 2007, 10:56
Is that the same aircraft that had tail damage a few months ago in a storm?

Harry Cooper
20th Mar 2007, 22:14
If your refering to the storm that hit Roma a couple of months ago, no its not the same machine - same owner and operator though.

Clare Prop
24th Mar 2007, 03:27
Odd for a Cherokee 180 to have that back window. Only the Cherokee 180G had those, and they were squarer than the back window of the -161, -181 generation.

Looks like a 161 or 181 to me....

tail wheel
24th Mar 2007, 04:56
According to CASA:

Manufacturer: PIPER AIRCRAFT CORP
Model: PA-28-180
Serial number: 4556