PDA

View Full Version : Horn Island

oldschooljenko
18th Mar 2007, 03:21
Are there any companies that operate out of Horn Island?

Jenko

morno
18th Mar 2007, 05:36
Plenty of them!

Barrier Aviation
Aerotropics
Skytrans
Surveillance Australia

And they're just the ones I can think of straight up.

morno

oldschooljenko
18th Mar 2007, 05:43
Thanks Morno,
I knew those guys went there but do they have pilots actually living on the island? I'm hoping to start applying for some work up there in a couple of months

DonCorleone
18th Mar 2007, 06:14
All the companies morno mentioned have pilots living on the Rock (+Cape Air Transport). However I believe the Skytrans pilots are on rotations, 2 weeks in Cairns, 2 weeks on Horn.
Also heard Barrier are looking for pilots

Torres
18th Mar 2007, 06:33
Most important you learn, if you Wongai customer you don't go Gateway!!

:E :E :E :E

Bula
18th Mar 2007, 08:00
argh good out aunti whats her face :) fey isn't it?

Heard the one eye has some nice people working there now.. friendly company

virgindriver
18th Mar 2007, 08:41
You're right there Torres. If you Wongai customer you wouldn't want to go Gateway because Gina wouldn't be allowed in there...

halfmoon
20th Mar 2007, 02:35
Any operators hiring up in QLD?? not getting much responce from that area of the woods. Lots going in NT though.

Anyone know if surv aust would hire some one with pilot qualifications as an observer?? i want a change. looks interesting if you ask me.

Torres
20th Mar 2007, 03:47
Gina not at Gateway. Fay no like. Gina mostly hanging around old Wingz mess on Horn! :}

Wongai good place to swig Fruity Lexia on back grass - but watch out for viscious sand flies!!

Fishing good. Government says don't feed crocs, so no swimming! :=

Jenko, I suggest you look closely at NT or West Australia for pilot employment. Do a PPRuNe search as there are many threads on pilot employment in the PPRuNe archives.

The Straits becomes very trying, usually around 10 minutes after you get there!

AerocatS2A
20th Mar 2007, 03:59
Anyone know if surv aust would hire some one with pilot qualifications as an observer?? i want a change. looks interesting if you ask me.
Yes they will. There are several observers with pilot licences. At least one has a CPL and MECIR.

Moniker
20th Mar 2007, 05:07
At least one other has an ATPL!!

There's another who holds both rotary and fixed endo's.

AerocatS2A
20th Mar 2007, 05:18
At least one other has an ATPL!!

May be the one I'm thinking of, I don't know exactly what her quals are.

aero979
20th Mar 2007, 06:54
not a bad place, if you think you will hate it, then you WILL hate it

take it for what it is, a good time, not a long time, and great flying.

slinky daddy
20th Mar 2007, 07:19
Rubbers rool in the Straits

Usually a layer of 2 with some Wasabi smeared over the first one. :(

I spy
13th Apr 2007, 02:49
Be nice to Sue at Barrier and you'll go a long way.

Big Bob at the Wongai is a top bloke.

Aunty Fay should have had that tripod black dog of hers shot a long time ago. I sincerely hope it's gone to the Big Kennel in the sky........poor bloody mutt.

Thai997
13th Apr 2007, 06:57
Speaking of clapped out dogs...... Anyone know what happened to "bastard" when his owner left troppos ?

noexcessivecranking
13th Apr 2007, 11:06
Does Australian Helicopters fly out of Horn Island or only Thursday Island?

I spy
13th Apr 2007, 14:07
Quote:
Speaking of clapped out dogs...... Anyone know what happened to "bastard" when his owner left troppos ? Unquote
Are you referring to Fidge, the 3/4 shepherd or Boofhead, big beige mongrel with a huge head from the Big House??
Fidge did a trip to Cairns to live with a Troppo's pilot, but it didn't work out, due to another dog in the "family".
I know this because I had to personally take Fidge to YHID airport and load him onto a Caravan.
I miss that bloody dog - he slept in my room on more than one occasion, just for the company. He was my mate, with the most fantastic nature.
Dearly hope that he's being looked after by the "alleged" bunch of softcocks that are currently domiciled on YHID.
Miss ya, Fidgee mate. Top dog

Bula
13th Apr 2007, 23:53
Fidgee :)

Did the troppos boys come up with a "replacement"?

God that dog had a big head ;)

sumtingwong
14th Apr 2007, 01:30
Right about the time you cracked your first stubby Fidge would wander over from next door, plonk himself on the verandah crack his back legs open and get his lipstick out. There he would happily Fidge with himself for hours.

Dogs do take after thier owners, Pistol Pete his owner at the time would come over and do the same thing:ok:

Anyone know where Pisso is now?

tinpis
14th Apr 2007, 01:38
Dogs do take after thier owners, Pistol Pete his owner at the time would come over and do the same thing

Did the dog enjoy it ? :ooh:

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/laughpound.gif

transonic dragon
14th Apr 2007, 06:15
Pistol now in Melbourne. Great guy, lotsa laughs, good driver. However, not sure if he's Fidge's original owner.

Last I heard, Fidge was still on YHID, still the #1 party animal, truly inspirational lipstick action.

Fidgee
Did the troppos boys come up with a "replacement"?
God that dog had a big head

Boofhead, big beige mongrel with a huge head from the Big House

You're getting them confused. "Boofhead" is actually "Bighead", proper name Oscar. A very sweet gentle giant. Also famous for lipstick action, but completely different dog to Fidge.

And ISpy - yes both dogs are very well-loved and cared for. Known by everyone on The Rock.

morno
14th Apr 2007, 06:31
Slightly off topic, but on the topic of Dog's and Pilot's.

Any of the old Kak Air guys who lived in Roper St remember "Wild Bill" the Beagle from across the road?? Used to come over most arvo's, hang around, sometimes come inside and watch TV with whoever was home, and then drop one just before he left, :bored:.

morno

Gordstar
14th Apr 2007, 20:16
Yeah, there are some observers with various pilot ratings.
Just remember that if you get in as an "Observer", that is what your job is!
Quite a few quickly forget and want the left hand seat, much to the annoyance of the incumbent pilot and other observers.
Good luck, its a good gig. :)

mebro
15th Apr 2007, 09:45
Hei Thai 997,

The dog, the original bastard u r referring to I believe died, after the wetseason of 2004. We just didn't see him after a while and I was told somebody saw the carcass somehere don't quote me on that !!!!

And ofcourse it has since been replaced with 2 other dogs Fidge and the big head. I was quite surprised to see Fidge around recently after it was shipped off with locks to Cairns last time I was here

I hope all the Horn boys from the past are all kickin well...

Take Care folks..

Regards

I spy
16th Apr 2007, 03:42
Yeah, Fidge did do a short stint in Cairns, but it didn't work out......basically 'cos the house had no fence and the other dog in the "family" didn't like him.

Only island dog I know of that has ever had a trip in a brand new Caravan!

Glad to hear that he and Oscar are being looked after :D

Oh....and Pistol won't be in Melbourne for much longer.........Sydney awaits!

romeocharlie
16th Apr 2007, 03:47
Sydney with AJ??? Was one of those Squeeler's dogs?

I spy
16th Apr 2007, 03:49
No, not AJ.....

fierylildevil
20th Mar 2008, 06:29
Fidgey is tops. what a dog.
Although covered in ticks and scabs, he's having a great time, well I hope.
Just hope that Indian they have flying doesn't eat him first....
Bite Back FIDGE !!!!!!
Remember to wash him down with milk, all that curry could be hot !
:ok:

Edition12
20th Mar 2008, 15:44
Bastard followed a couple of the Tropo's boys on bikes out to Cable Beach one sad day, and passed away from exhaustion when he got there. RIP

travelator
20th Mar 2008, 23:16
Poor little bugger.

I hope the boys buried him there.

Me and rag were the ones that rescued and named Fidge mid 2005. Poor little bastard was the runt of the litter and tormented by his siblings and local kids. He found his way to the the back porch at the small house, almost dead. We fed him up and looked after him with the intention of letting him roam the island with the rest of the camp dogs. We just couldn't get rid of him. Such a good natured little dog. Sounds like the way he died was pretty typical of his personality. He would follow anyone anywhere. He even tried to follow some of the boys to TI by swimming behind them.

RIP Fidge.

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm67/travelator2008/Fidge/?action=view&current=Fidgy2.jpg

Edition12
21st Mar 2008, 07:32
Just some clarification - last time I saw Fidge, he was alive and well... "Bastard" was another camp dog of an earlier generation. He had a couple of litters with "Bilby".

Fidge came later - near as we can make out his mum had some dealings with the German Shepherd guard dog the Wongai employed for a while.

flyitboy
21st Mar 2008, 07:46
ok just when I was about to shed a tear I read that last post:bored: now who's been rtooing who here & not paying?:E lets have the cold hard facts before we oder in the DNA police!
Great pix of Dog 'X' on the beach, would the real 'Fidge' plz stand up!:)

F

BaronvonChieftain
21st Mar 2008, 09:21
Hi All,

Old Fidgey is A-OK, I should know 'cos he basically adopted me over the last few months. The deal is I feed him, look after him and take for runs down the wharf, and he looks after me and guards the tall house.

Been trying to post pictures of him on this thread but my browser won't cooperate.

Cheers,
BvC

I spy
22nd Mar 2008, 00:19
That photo of the dog on the beach is Fidge.....definitely.

So who is dead???

Please don't tell me that it's Fidge...........he kept me company on many a night on Horn, sleeping in his bed in a corner of my room or at my feet in the lounge room, watching tv with me.
I lost count of the number of times he would walk with me to the wharf (trying to get on the bloody ferry) and when I returned a few hours later, he'd be in the same spot, waiting for my return.

What a top little dog, without a mean bone in his body................if he is indeed dead, it's very, very sad day. :{

travelator
22nd Mar 2008, 01:10
Baron. The photo i posted IS Fidge. Can you confirm he is OK.

Edition12
22nd Mar 2008, 02:48
I'll try clarifying again.....

"Fidge" is the dog in the photo. From all reports alive and well.

"Bastard" is the dog Thai997 asked after earlier. He died at Cable Bay in the early days of 2004 iirc.

Fidge is apparently still alive and well and came a long time after Bastard, who died at Cable Bay. Clear enough?

BaronvonChieftain
22nd Mar 2008, 04:34
Hey Guys,

Yes I can definitely confirm Fidgey is A-OK:ok:

He looks a little younger in the photo that was posted on here, but his colouring is the same. I can assure you it is the same Fidge thats been finishing off the food scraps, getting through about 5 or more cans of dog food (plus bickies) a week, and getting his rocks off when the local b*tch comes on heat - which is saying alot since he doesn't actually have any rocks to start with:E

Yep, the Big House wall(s) of fame is OK too, and getting bigger by the month. It now extends from the kitchen wall back to the second bedroom door, down both sides of the lounge.
Will post some photies once I get my browser working again.

Best wishes to all,
BvC

AQIS Boigu
22nd Mar 2008, 11:47
I concur with Edition12...I can confirm that one troppos pilot and one regional pilot left Bastard in the bush whilst conducting a motorbike excursion through the "Outback" of Horn Island...

AB - quarantine matters!!!

travelator
22nd Mar 2008, 20:31
Good news. Fidge was only about 8 months old in that photo at Cable Bay.

Gordstar
23rd Mar 2008, 05:37
Ah, Cable Bay, we called it Cable beach, reference to Bastard, what a dog, is Fidge a decendant, (who would like to volounteer to study the family tree), the troppo big house, the wall of fame, yeah I have a
a posting on it, near the big entrance to the kitchen, I am glad now to say I was a resident of HID in 2003-2004, and now there are no SAPL ppl there, how things have changed.
For those of you who are there, enjoy it for the madness and simpleness that it is, in the shadow of your memory, it will not look so bad, I promise you.
Cheers, Gordo ;)

Dave Incognito
23rd Mar 2008, 12:54
Is Fidge still allowed to hang out in the gateway on friday night?

I remember one night in the wee hours, out in a tinnie fishing off horn, stitting there half drunk when all of a sudden there was banging on the side of the boat. Scared the hell out of us. Turns out Fidge heard us while on one of his moonlight town walks and decided he'd swim out a couple of hundred metres from the wharf to join us.

Glad to hear he's alive and being looked after!

Edition12
29th Mar 2008, 09:41
Further to whether or not Fidge is still allowed in the G-Way, is it still running?

Ole Fidge... if he knocked over one of my beers at a party to drink it, he knocked over thirty...

AnyGivenSunday99
5th Oct 2009, 08:05
Can anyone currently on the Rock give me an update on how things are going? Looking at making the trek up soon, and keen for any advice that might be on offer!

BUSH PILOT
6th Oct 2009, 04:04
Howdy, I'm also looking at heading that way in the upcoming months and would love to get an idea of what the flying scene is like at the moment if anyone is in the know!
Cheers

INTERCEPTORXXXAU
27th Oct 2009, 07:18
Hey BaronvonChieftain,

Have been trying to find you for a long time. Where are you these days now that things have wrapped up at Horn? I did hear you on HF when you were in the bongo about 12 months ago, while i was inbound to Karumba. I tried calling you but no joy.

PM me.

Cheers mate.