PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Pilot on Board?

pulse1
17th Mar 2007, 18:39
According to an article in the new "GoFlying" magazine (free from the publishers of Pilot) the FO of a Continental B757 asked a 150 hour Cessna pilot to help him after the captain collapsed just after take off.

I couldn't help wondering how many other airline pilots in a similar situation would find this helpful. As a 300 hour PPL with several jump seat trips and a long session in a B777 simulator under my belt, I would think that my "little knowledge" could actually be quite distracting unless my help was restricted to specific instructions such as "Move that lever now".

This guy apparently sat in the right seat and helped out with much of the radio work and "other routine tasks".

Caudillo
17th Mar 2007, 19:16
I'd imagine it's because the 150hr guy probably has more time handling the controls of an aeroplane and so would be good to have up front.

Shurely.

TopBunk
18th Mar 2007, 05:56
Having somebody extra on the flight deck is worthwhile imho. Personally I would use them as an extra pair of hands, memory aide .... get me this book, remind me to do this, hold this checklist out, read this to me ..... and most importantly look after my mate who has keeled over.

Who should this person be? My airline suggests cabin crew member, whilst they may not be familiar with specific manuals, they are taught to read checklists (in theory knowing to stop when we raise a hand etc) and are probably better at tending our stricken colleague than a ppl holder. On balance I would favour the latter but probably tend to manage the flight myself with the maximum help from George.

vapilot2004
18th Mar 2007, 07:28
A few decades ago, during a return flight from Caracas, the captain came down with a bad case of stomach problems and had to vacate the flight deck. I had a choice between a passenger who was also a board member (one of my big bosses) with a PPL and one of our engineers.

Long story short, I chose both. While Mr. board member was good with the radio and gee whiz conversation, my man in the overalls (not really) was like a seasoned member of a well-oiled team and was seated accordingly.

Even though a PPL holder has actual flying experience, an individual from your own team is almost always the best choice in rare cases like these.