PDA

View Full Version : Cloud looming over airshow

Buster Hyman
17th Mar 2007, 01:06
John Masanauskas March 17, 2007 12:00am

Article from: http://www.news.com.au/images/sources/h14_heraldsun.gif (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/?from=ni_story)

THE rapid growth of flights out of Avalon airport has put the long-term future of Australia's airshow in doubt.
Airport owner Linfox is concerned how the show will affect the running of Jetstar's increasing number of services and the possible entry of other airlines. Jetstar had 14 daily arrivals and departures at Avalon during the last event in 2005, but organisers will have to contend with 20 commercial flights in this year's show next week.
Longer-term, Virgin Blue has flagged the possibility of launching flights from the airport, and aspiring new low-cost carrier Tiger is also likely to use Avalon.
Industry and State Development Minister Theo Theophanous yesterday revealed Linfox had raised concerns about the show's effect if the number of flights to Avalon was doubled.
"I've been told by (Linfox Airports managing director) David Fox . . . that would be a serious problem . . . holding the airshow at the same time as this was happening," Mr Theophanous said.
But he said the Government had a deal with show organisers to keep the event in Victoria until at least 2015, and all possible would be done to keep it at Avalon.
"There is really nowhere else in Australia you could have this airshow (really???), and you should remember that it has literally put Avalon on the map," Mr Theophanous said.
Despite the deal, Linfox requires organisers to negotiate access show by show.
Linfox declined to comment yesterday.
Jetstar's Simon Westaway said it supported the event but its effect on schedules would be reviewed.
The show, expected to attract up to 200,000 people, will open on Tuesday for trade visitors only, with public entry from 2pm on Friday and over next weekend.
Media were treated to a preview yesterday, including a display by US stunt pilot Jim LeRoy and fly-pasts by RAAF FA/18 Super Hornets.
It's estimated the 2005 event generated $100 million for the state economy and created over 1800 jobs. (1800 jobs...forthree weeks perhaps)

(my red)

Could this be a ploy by Fox to have the Govt. improve his facilities? ie; a new runway perhaps?

Having not been to Avalons terminal, could it really cope with 3 airline operations?

PS2A_yay!
17th Mar 2007, 01:37
Last time I was at AV flying on JQ, the terminal (if thats what you want to call it. . .) was a bunch of portable sheds joined together. I do believe there were plans for a more permanent building, with an ajoined baggage collection bay.

However IMHO, there is no way the building in question can handle the amount of passengers/baggage associated with three airlines arriving at the roughly the same time.

ATM, it struggles when only 2xA320 arrive together. Maybe you are right Buster, the Linfox group may want some other party to help soak up the cost of any future expansion. It certainly will be required if VB and Tiger are using it.

Interesting . . .

AerocatS2A
17th Mar 2007, 01:47
...and you should remember that it has literally put Avalon on the map," Mr Theophanous said.
Call me crazy, but I suspect that Avalon was literally on many maps well before the airshow.

Buster Hyman
17th Mar 2007, 03:59
Technically correct Aerocat but, now Avalon is a tourist mecca...just look at it will ya!!!

http://www.avalonairport.com.au/images/miscRight.jpg

Avalon, gateway to Corio!!!:ok:

cunninglinguist
17th Mar 2007, 05:04
Not only will the terminal not cope with 3 airlines, more importantly, the tarmac will not cope ( size )

Bankstownboy
17th Mar 2007, 06:17
They should give the 'terminal' a makeover (read rebuild), Dunedin style. Albeit our government are too stingy to do that no doubt...

qcc2
17th Mar 2007, 08:59
that the foxe's want some serious money rom the state government to build a second runway and expand the terminals. and the federal government might come to the party as it is a election year.:rolleyes:

Chronic Snoozer
17th Mar 2007, 11:48
2nd runway? What for, can't get the guvmint to approve all these ME airlines flying to Mel. anyway.

I'll say one thing, Melbourne, in general, is in much better shape to cope with a few million more pax arrivals than Sydney/Mascot if Avalon is developed. Good to see!

fly-pasts by RAAF FA/18 Super Hornets

When did they arrive?

Buster Hyman
17th Mar 2007, 13:58
Chronic. Could you say that to Lowerlobe for me please? ;):ok:

Oh, and they're Super Hornets...just say it like Bruce McAvaney & you'll see!:ok:

Animalclub
18th Mar 2007, 02:20
Avalon, gateway to Corio!!!

In my learning days didn't I drink something called Cor 10? Ugh!!

jumpuFOKKERjump
20th Mar 2007, 05:10
Erm.

Was going to make a comment here, but the brain is still in too much pain. If 2009 gets canned I am sorry, I'm doing the best I can.

JUFJ@Avalon Radio...:ouch: :ugh: :mad: :ooh: :{ :oh: :yuk: :* :( :mad: :mad: :uhoh:

YesTAM
20th Mar 2007, 06:12
I was at Avalon today.

High points:

1. Fantastic aerobatic display of a Super Decathlon by Ppruner DjPil.

2. Fantastic aerobatic display by biplane and also jet powered glider.

3. Bose are giving away a Bose shopping bag, Bose Tee Shirt and a small GPS (Gekko) with each $1499 headset. They are part of the U.S. Industry deputation in building C. Finally bought some, Girlfriend now gets to use the DC's.

4. The F18 Super Hornet is 20% larger and 20% noisier. It is a two seat version that requires a rear seat person. It was decided last week by the RAAF that the F111 Navs would switch to this role - navs are very happy.

5. Columbia 400 is a very nice looking aircraft, I just have to sell some children into slavery to afford one.

6. I still can't believe that a C17 can fly.

7. I didn't believe that a tactical transport can do rolls and loops. The C27 can. I wonder what the mess would be like if they did it with a load of troops?

8. For some reason Parking was free. This has to be a mistake.

Low points:

1. Realising that a tail stand is out of the question in a C172.

2. There was nothing worth buying apart from Bose headsets and Columbias. Most of the food stands were still closed and small bucket of chips is $4.00. A hat was $25.00

3. Mockups of sleek missiles, cluster bombs and similar munitions do nothing for me at the moment. I can't remember what all the acronyms stand for (Jdams, Haarm, etc. etc) and I keep getting depressed when I realise we are practicing with these things on the Iraqis.

4. The F18's F16's, F111's make exactly the same sound as they did two years ago and do essentially the same routines.

5. The aircrew and service personnel keep getting younger, on the other hand, an increasing percentage are women.

6. The interesting GA aircraft and warbirds weren't there yet, but of course neither were the crowds.

7. I was going to bring my camera, but I forgot. I was going to take pictures of the most interesting collection of spotters. Their weight seems to be directly proportional to the size of their camera lens multiplied by the number of badges and pins they were wearing.

8. Four interruptions by Jetstar.

blow.n.gasket
20th Mar 2007, 06:32
2nd runway in Avalon,
won't happen!
Geelong Grammar won't let it ,
old school tie and all that piffle chaps!

AerocatS2A
20th Mar 2007, 06:35
8. Four interruptions by Jetstar.

I don't suppose any did a "go-around" due to still being in the cruise configuration and travelling at M0.80? :)

Fatter Bastard
20th Mar 2007, 11:05
Cloud looming over airshow? Cloud looming over airshow? You people crack me up. Honestly.

ScottyDoo
20th Mar 2007, 11:13
Mockups of sleek missiles, cluster bombs and similar munitions do nothing for me at the moment.....and I keep getting depressed when I realise we are practicing with these things on the Iraqis.

Better than them practicing on us.

bentleg
21st Mar 2007, 11:29
8. Four interruptions by Jetstar. I don't suppose any did a "go-around"

There was a go round on Monday when a F111 had its tail hanging out on the runway strip. I think the Jetstar landed long at the second attempt.

Agree re excellent aerobatics and the C17. Good displays by the armed services. The biggest disappointment for me at Avalon is the absence of the Temora fleet yet again. I heard it is a money issue between Temora museum and the Avalon airshow people.

Eastwest Loco
21st Mar 2007, 11:46
If you are attending the airshow and happen across the Aquaterro display, please say hi to my mate Graeme Bulte who is running that site.

Top bloke.

If you mention my nic (and Ron) he will probably groan and grin at the same time.

Great bloke, and an amazing range of gear he sells worldwide.

Oh - and blown - If you can't grab a girl grab a Grammar boy. Melbourne High used to wipe the floor with them in Union every time.

Best all

EWL

djpil
24th Mar 2007, 11:18
Fantastic aerobatic display of a Super Decathlon by Ppruner DjPil Thanks for the comments, YesTAM and bentleg.
The aeroplane had about an hour TT when I picked it up in Brisbane last weekend. Very nice and much more useful than earlier model Super D's with an extra 70 kg useful load. Goes a whole lot better than my own standard Decathlon. Took Peter Rowsthorne for a flight yesterday to get footage for a TV segment on aerobatics.
Today wasn't good, mainly weather, for some of the other aero guys. Chris really didn't get to show off his new Pitts S-1-11B; Matt didn't get to fly, and I don't think Pip did either. Was definitely worth watching Jim & Yurgis. I missed most of Paul's display today, what I saw was good. Matt in the yellow CT-4E earlier in the week too.
The aerobatic club has a marquee about 300 ENE of taxiway Charlie - anyone welcome to drop in and meet whoever is there from the club and chat aerobatics.

Dave The Snail
24th Mar 2007, 11:58
Second runway? You have to be kidding. It's taken many years, the 2008 Olympics, and billions of dollars (yuan) to get a third runway at Beijing. I don't think an extra couple of flights by Virgin/Tiger a day is enough reason for Bracks to fork out for a second runway.......

Buster Hyman
24th Mar 2007, 13:00
Dave. Ordinarily, I'd agree but, having worked with this Govt. recently, anything is possible!:ugh:

Buster Hyman
25th Mar 2007, 02:27
Frozo...in my day...http://www.emotihost.com/old.gif...that's how things were done. Now, you don't do business without expecting a handout from Govt. Just look at how the States fight each other for the right to say "XYZ airlines with their base here in {insert Capital City}". Business has caught on quick & no decision is made without going to Govt. and saying "How much do you want this here?"

Yusef Danet
26th Mar 2007, 02:11
Bah! Look at Coolie's traffic on one runway. Brisbane's only got one for jets and I'm sure it gets 10 times more traffic. Second runway at Avalon, get your hand off it.

Flew into said airshow. Very impressed by the professionalism of the staff and volunteers. They been taught better marshalling than many people whose job involves waving Boeings and Airbuses to their stand.

runway16
26th Mar 2007, 12:52
No storm over Avalon on Friday night but there was one big one over Tullamarine on the night of the Avalon Friday night show.
So much so that the Avalon Airshow ops centre was advised that it was about to have no less than three VB diversions into Avalon that could not get into ML due weather and fuel was running low. One 737 was reported as then going into EN but in the end all three got into ML.

Perhaps a few of the VB lads could comment on this report.

Hmm! Running low on holding fuel. Does ATSB get involved in this?

regitaekilthgiwt
26th Mar 2007, 23:13
You don't need to carry the holding fuel if you carry an alternate with no requirements (or have the fuel to cover your alternate's requitements).

Not saying that this is what I would do, just that that is the law...