PDA

View Full Version : Current Daily Freelance rates ?

skibeagle
16th Mar 2007, 19:53
I am on the lookout for some CL604/DA900EASy freelance work and was just wondering what my contractor colleagues are charging for daily rates. This is from the point of view of maintaining a suitable and sustainable freelance rate.

I know there are agencies offering USD650+100 per diem, and I also know there are operators paying upwards of EUR850, (for JAR CL604 Captains).

As I do not wish to devalue our profession, skills and training by working for sub-par rates, I would like to know where the lower-median-upper rates lie.

Regards to all fellow contractors

skibeagle

FlyMD
16th Mar 2007, 23:59
On the Falcon 900 Easy, anything below 1200 USD is too cheap! No idea about Challenger rates though...

Check 6
17th Mar 2007, 00:11
Look at www.flycontract.com and you can see current rates for various aircraft.

Gulfstreamaviator
17th Mar 2007, 06:19
Rates are good if your life is US$ based.

A recent EU contract was 1200$ per day, about the max arround at the moment.

Long term Glf 5 contracts, ie 30 days or more are about 800$ capt 600$ FO, plus 100$ per diem. This is based on long term. Daily was 1500$.

There are exceptions:

For example IJM was offering a whole 600$ per day for a Glf5 Captain, plus 100$ per diem. Based in Moscow.

In general the rates are lowering in USA, due to ex Airline guys selling themselves, whilst in retirement.

In Europe, the rates are lowering slightly. There is a shortage of qualified crews, but the ability of an FAA licence to be validated by JAA states, does not help the situation.

Glf

chiaroscuro
17th Mar 2007, 14:47
Gentlemen,

don't sell yourself cheap. its true and said (and I shouldn't say that) that a lot of retired airline and military pilots sell themselfes cheaper than they shouldn't - but who can blame them - the pension system in the US is not to glorious....

but its also true that the rates you all specified are rather on the low scale - yes glfaviatior - having 1500 US a day is nice and good - but don't forget those people who are taking 1650 Euros and more per day. they exist. it's just a matter of qualifications. if you are TRI/TRE - don't sell yourself below that ... you gonna make a lot of people upset...

I pay my contract pilots around 2000 US for a Northamerican Ops and that should be pretty much the going rate for the next two years. specially when you look at what rolls out of SAV and where all those birds are going. they don't have the experience there. These birds need to be crewed by contract instructors at the beginning.

So get yourself and FAA and JAA licence and you should be happily playing golf in Florida in about 2 years. that's what i am going to do....

So long and greetings from MDW
Ch

wondering
17th Mar 2007, 15:18
Any idea what the going rates are for LR45 class contract pilots (Captains and Co-Pilots) in the UK?

DA50driver
17th Mar 2007, 16:14
I have made a living as a contract pilot for about 2 years now, it can be a great way to make a living if you do it right.

I just paid almost US20000 for a Falcon 900EX recurrent, plus I lost one weeks income. In addition I had to pay for airfare and hotel for the training event. All said US 25000 or so. The rate I charge reflects the costs incurred, plus the fact that I want to make a fair amount of money.

If you are good, and treat your clients right they will happily pay a reasonable rate. Keep in mind that they do not have to pay your taxes or social security, you do.

Freelance writers in my part of the world make US90/hr. They sit on a chair at their house. I have to go away to ply my trade, flying is a little more dangerous that being a writer, and it cost me a lot more to get my initial training.(College plus flying).

With all that said, charge as much as you can. The rich guy in the back can afford it. I am not in the business of subsidizing the travels of wealthy people.

We are professionals and should be compensated as such. What is the daily rate of your lawyer or doctor? It should be somewhere in that neighbourhood.

Good Luck.

Gulfstreamaviator
18th Mar 2007, 15:42
We are all for upping the rates, as the recurrent costs are increasing, and the US$ to EU etc, is decreasing.

One problem is the rate is in US$, and for an American to come over to the EU, he is making a fortune, but us who live in EU, and not.

As a slight aside I have been made aware of G5 captains from South America coming to EU land and being paid 5000 US per month......

Not certain if this includes "per diems" lol

Glf

chiaroscuro
18th Mar 2007, 18:19
Glf Aviator,

you almost speak the truth. the salary is correct... the planet they all come from is closer then you might want to know.... greece, prague, germany, and switzerland.......

the formula is simple... give a option they would never get - and you don't have to pay them a lot. guess you know the market in europe well enough to figure out who might be the people that are bringing slavery back to our century..

that is the one good thing about US Immigration - it's at least d.. hard for those people to come here and work...

Take Care
CH

DA50driver
19th Mar 2007, 19:25
I disagree that if you come from the US you make a fortune working in Europe. By the time you bring the money home you get about a 22% raise. Then you have to pay all of your taxes. If you are an employee in the us the employer pays half of your SS tax of 15%. Then all of your other taxes have to be paid.
Lets say I make: Euro 10,000.00/month
Sent to the US 12,200.00/month
Social Security Tax 15% -1,830,00/month
Health insurance -1,100,00/month
Retirement Contribution -500,00/month
Taxable Income 8,870,00/month
Taxes 30% 2,631.00/month
Net monthly 6,239.00/month
This is a little less than what I would make flying for a good corporate operator in the same equipment in the US.
Notice that there are no training costs included in this equation. As well, it reflects someone who paid for all of his time and training up to at least 1,500 hours.
Lets all work together to make it better. I laid things on the line with the owner of the airplane I fly a while back. I told him this is what I want, or I am gone. There are so many flying jobs out there now, this is the time to push for better conditions.
Good luck to all of us.

mutt
18th Apr 2007, 14:05
Apart from flycontract.com, can anyone suggest a source for BBJ freelance crew for a short term contract?

Mutt

Check 6
18th Apr 2007, 15:07
Mutt, try http://pilots4rent.com/