PDA

View Full Version : Back to the Future

The Management
16th Mar 2007, 00:27
The future.

A Scale is very much overpaid as with their benefits. We will be reducing the A Scale package to the B Scale package. We believe the hkaoa members will carry it.

B Scale package is slightly overpaid but will stay.

As for an increase in pay, I would bet my bonus it is not going to happen. Our new CEO has dealt with the pilots in 1999 and has strong views about pilots. Many will remember his interviews back then.

Mr. Tyler was put in place for a reason and some may know what is about to happen to your contracts.

If you were a new CEO, would the first order of business is to give a payrise? To us Managers yes, but to pilots?

CX pilots are the best paid in Asia. If one of the Legacy Carriers in Asia were to pay more than The Cathay Pacific Group, very few pilots will move.

The Reason: We have a western culture in the flight deck that many of you pilots like. The other Legacy Carriers in Asia will have to pay much more for the pilots to move. Those that move will not be very happy with their new employment. Many strive for the status they have in The Cathay Pacific Group.

Legacy Carriers are paying less than The Cathay Pacific Group and have no difficulty attracting pilots.

Lets look at the statistics. How many of our retirees moved to other Asian Carriers upon retirement? A few with ME airlines. How many threaten? Some. Some go out gracefully.

More have stayed with The Cathay Pacific Group upon retirement on the less than B package. That package speaks for itself.

On the other hand, more have moved to Oasis post 57 not because of the pay. The pay and benefits are comparable to our B Scale package. They don’t like being in the simulator or flying old classic aircraft. Much rather have a shiny 747-400 and be in control again. We may have to extend on the 747-400. It will be the B minus Package.

So when we cut the A Scale package, where will the A Scalers move? Oasis is probably the only choice. Possibly more will move to Oasis if they offer bases in the future. We have planned for that. Our estimate that very few will leave. Some may take their PF and go home but very few.

If all the A Scalers got up and left, we have our DEC scheme in place to take care of the operation. We had no problem recruiting ASL pilots in 1996 (our own T&C pilots trained them and we Thank You). We will do the same in 2007-2008.

Ask yourself why we would give a pay increase when market forces are on our side.

I think the only pilots that see a pilot shortage are the “Self-centered, I’m the best and more experienced” type of attitude. We will NOT have problems with new recruits whether they are S/O’s, F/O’s or DEC. More are willing to join The Cathay Pacific Group on the package that we are offering.

How many applications will we receive from Emirates alone if we offered DEC A330/B777 on a base or in Hong Kong? Think about it. Will you put up a recruitment ban?

The only place your salary/benefits are moving is in our Bonuses.

What we like in Management is that you think you are in control and we love it when it comes as a surprise that you are not.

It’s coming and you don’t see it. Makes our job easier.

The Management