PDA

View Full Version : Ferry flight :Istambul-Barcelona:tips??

rotorpol
15th Mar 2007, 09:58
I have to ferry a B3 from Istambul by end of next week to Spain, if anyone has done a similar trip, IŽd appreciate the information very much, such as best route, areas to avoid, tricks with customs (Turkey is not EC), and any other staff you might think is important.

Thanks in advance:ok:

lup
15th Mar 2007, 12:23
Not sure on the range of B3 but,LTBX-LGKV fuel and clear customs.
If you are exporting the B3, you will need an export CofA and Turkish costoms release etc as the Greeks are still anal when it comes to Turkey.
If you have everything in order, no problems.

Although handling agents are expensive, Greece is where you will need one to save a little time,Olympic usually handle at most Greek airports,although by the time you arrive they will have lost your details,so keep copies of faxes you sent.

There are no good aviation maps in Greece and they tend to use published VFR routes between reporting points,ask the agents for a copy at LGKV,ATC is pants at the best of times, but if you know where the routes are you will save yourself a load of grief.

Try and get to Brindisi LIBR on the next hop otherwise you will have to stop again in Greece(LGKR).

Once you clear Greece you can use the maps you ordered before you set of for the rest of the route and ATC gets better from now on.
I have flown the next bit via Sardinia (Twin engine),you might want to route up through Italy via Genoa LIMJ, can't give you any pointers on where not to land in Italy but some of the guys on this forum did a similar route back from the Olympics in Athens.

LIMJ-LFMT on the coast route, again a published route which you need to know before hand, they keep you slightly offshore so take a life jacket, ATC expect you to know the reporting points.

LFMT-LEBL may be just too far for you,so LFPM may be an option.
If you do stop again in France the French customs will pounce on you if they haven't already at Marseille,especially with a non EEC aircraft.
They are VAT hunting, so make sure you have the correct paperwork or they will impound the aircraft.

Unlike the UK you will need to flight plan every flight, I make a photo copy master of the boxes filled out then all I need to do is fill out the route and timings, it saves time.

Most airports enroute will accept BP card for fuel, or a mastercard etc.
The Italian airports are marginally better than Greece for getting MET,NOTAMS etc, but the French are streets ahead of anybody.

A fair amount of the reporting points for the route are on the IFR low level enroute charts which also cover Greece,these are cheap and a good back up.
I don't know the route between Marseille and Barcelona,but the French are big on Nuclear power station restricted areas, if you bust these areas they will scramble a fighter and charge you for it.
Another good reason to know the published route and have UP TO DATE maps.

I have flown similar routes without handling agents, it can add hours to your trip but it is possible.

Hope some of this is helpfull, have a good trip.

LUP

Helisweet
15th Mar 2007, 14:27
Have look to this web
www.aena.es (http://www.aena.es)
Click inside navigation, find ais, you should loging and then you have every airport info available.

rotorpol
15th Mar 2007, 18:56
Thank you very much LUP.:D

Oogle
16th Mar 2007, 01:43
As for the Marseille to Barcelona trip. I went direct from Barcelona TO Marseille with no problems (I was in a twin though). The authorities gave me no hassles at all when I got to Marseille but the route is easily flown on one tank of gas. You are from Barcelona so I don't have to remind you of all the restricted areas in the Gulfe du Lyon. I did my flight on a saturday morning so it was a little quieter.

Athens Aviation are in most Greek airports as ground handlers. The main office is at Athens Airport so call them and they can assist with many smaller airports.

If in France and going along the coastal route from San Remo - Monaco - Nice - Toulouse - Marseille, don't worry about a flight plan. Just give ATC a call well ahead of any airspace boundary. They are very good and very helicopter aware (they have hundreds flying along the route everyday). If landing at Nice, make sure you are aware of the procedures with the helipad area. They have two helipads and which one you use is dependant on the runway in use. Nice has offshore GPS reporting points so have those in your GPS prior to going in. Nice ATC is very helpful.

Summer is coming so get going before it starts getting crazy in the Med.

:)

rotorpol
16th Mar 2007, 15:16
Thanks oogle, very helpful.:D

Flysafe

By the way anybody know where to get VFR proc charts for greek airports, i ve tried Internet Greek AIP, but the web page shows no data, seem like there isnŽt AIP on the web:confused:

Aser
16th Mar 2007, 15:35
Flying along the Frech coast is wonderful , just take care with reporting points and altitudes, LOTS of traffic! I recommend you LFMD for a quick refuel.

Regards.
Aser

lup
16th Mar 2007, 17:40
You will have to get one at the briefing office at the first Greek airport you land at, they are in the form of a low enroute chart and are free.

Trying to get anything from them outside of greece is hopeless.
If you can get hold of a handling agent for your first stop,get them to fax one to you.

good luck

LUP

rotorpol
16th Mar 2007, 20:35
Great help from all of you.

thank you very much again, LUP.ASER,and Helisweet.:D

Things are much clearer now, I believe I ve got it all quite figured out.

WeŽll see.