PDA

View Full Version : Flying North

Jay Bo
15th Mar 2007, 01:06
Just wondering what weather/pitfalls would be expected when flying around the top end in august. Just a new PPL looking at building some hours flying around the top end.
Cheers

compressor stall
15th Mar 2007, 01:14
Smoke, smoke and more smoke. Smoke the area of Victoria and then some. So thick you can't climb over it, and sometimes to punch through it, you will not be in VMC....
Where exactly are you planning to fly? Many people here know the area very well and can offer some good advice on current conditions and facitlities. Also do a search on this forum to get some more ideas of where to go if you need to.

Jay Bo
16th Mar 2007, 00:02
I was thinking on travelling from Bankstown to Alice Springs onto Kakadu maybe go west towards broome and then back through XXXXland

OH410E
16th Mar 2007, 01:05
XXXX land is on the other side mate :uhoh:

Jay Bo
16th Mar 2007, 22:39
Oh i thought rocket scientest had there own newsgroups with NASA :ugh:

maxgrad
16th Mar 2007, 23:15
Where are you refuelling? Turn those stops to layover/sightseeing trips.
Countless times I have watched while a/c have blasted into an area and not heeded the local rules, rules very plainly stated in the ERSA. Do yourself and every one near you a favour and study up prior entry into the areas.
This is a fantastic chance to network. Don't waste it. Ask, listen and afterwards take note of names, places and numbers. It might just help get that first gig.
Darwin and Katherine play hoste to the RAAF, many restricted areas and no go zones, again read up and if in doubt the day of the flight through that area, give the respective tower a call, (moreso TN tower as it is normally their space and control, DN have set VFR routes and easy tracking points to use.
Have fun.