PDA

View Full Version : Low cost ATPL

apron
14th Mar 2007, 12:12
Hi,

I am asking this question on behalf of my brother who's computer has just died (RIP).

If you had the opportunity to go off and do CPL/IR with all the trimmings (MCC etc) which way would you do it?? (from scratch)

We are talking the fastest and cheapest options. I myself went through OAT which was great and the integrated route really helped come job time but for my brother, the lucky sod, he had a foot in come job time as we all know it's not what but who you know!

Ta

Night_fr8
15th Mar 2007, 09:28
If you went through OAT you will know that despite the anti-OAT diehards it was an excellent course, and geared to an airline career.
Why would you want your brother to have less of a chance in the job market than yourself.
Nobody can guarnatee their Brother, Sister, Son, or Daughter a job in this industry purely through connections, an interview maybe a job is by no means certain. (Unless he / she is the DFO's offspring lol)
Did the OAT tag get you better job prospects, than say a Modular student ?
It would be interesting to know.
Cheap is not always the best way to go, many have come unstuck going down this route and found many hidden extras, and long time delays in their training.
There is no subsitute for good quality training, and that usually comes at a price.
Best way to go is via Jerez or OAT.

PlaneHomerS
15th Mar 2007, 10:00
Cheap is not always the best way to go, many have come unstuck going down this route and found many hidden extras, and long time delays in their training.

How exactly do you know this :confused: , i know many mod guys that did their training in less time than OAT's and have jobs. I also know some OAT and Jerez grads that finished in the same time and don't have jobs.

If you went through OAT you will know that despite the anti-OAT diehards it was an excellent course, and geared to an airline career.

I don't belive that anybody denies OAT has a top-notch course just if it is worth paying 'top-dollar' for the promise of a airline recommendation.

There is no subsitute for good quality training, and that usually comes at a price.

Yup but one has to ask if oxford, Jerez etc are asking far too much when it comes to their price, specially when you can go down the mod route and get the same top-notch training at a fraction of the price.

In my opinion depending on what route you take (in no particular order of preference):

Integrated:

OAT
Jerez
Cabir

Modular:

Stapleford,
Cabair,
Bristol
Bristol.gs
PAT
OAT pathfinder scheme..
CTC

I would recommend reading the sticky thread ontop of this forum and the threads associated with the individual schools you are interested in...

+Rock on
+PHS

P.s. don't let the marketing get in the way of sound judgement..

apron
15th Mar 2007, 12:13
thanks planehomer.........I'll pass on the info and he can investigate each school in order you state.

I myself did find the OAT tag an advantage. OAT secured me an interview with BA on the ssp B737 at LGW which I was lucky to be offered after jumping through the BA hoops but was fortunate to be on the very same day offered a job with a loco which was more sensible for me at the time (living in the midlands, wife and young child all settled. The loco offer was partly due to the fact that I had given them 5 years in an operational role prior to flying and if my bro was to follow me into flying which he is hell bent on I guess he has a very real chance of employment.....or at the very least an interview with cv at the top of the pile.

Also both job offers were 5 days after my IR so I still had MCC/JOT to finish which was very enjoyable indeed! On the time issue I started OAT APP on the 1st of Sept and began my type training for the loco the following Dec. 15 months of fun and I even had a month off to greet my son into the world!

OAT was excellent but my bro hasn't that type of dosh and at the end of the day structured training at a cheaper cost would be adequate.

whiskey1
16th Mar 2007, 03:51
You forgot Western Australian Aviation College does both Integrated and Modular.
http://www.waaviationcollege.com.au/index.asp