PDA

View Full Version : Bizjet Job info - Requirements,pay etc

FrayCampbell608
14th Mar 2007, 11:56
Hi guys,
Im hoping to enrol on an integrated course next year but am looking at other career paths should i not get onto the big jets in due course!

Firstly, if i came off an integrated course with the usual ATPL(frozen), CPL and MCC would i realistically have enough hours to be a seroius candidate with just the bear minimum of hours you get upon graduation?

The amount of hours seems to be the biggest factor in getting a job, is Bizjet flying a good avenue to go down to build them up and would an airline emloyer view it as relevant flying experience?

I was informed a typical type rating would cost me 10,000 is that usual for private jets?

And another thing (if nobody minds) what is the typical salary for a starting FO and what are the future pay prospects?

I realise these are probably simple questions, but as i am new to the scene, any inside advice and help would be great!

B200Drvr
14th Mar 2007, 12:42
Corporate aviation, especially on newer equipment is not a time builders haven. Most corporate flight departments require higher times than airlines, few will pay for your rating, and most expect time on type as well as previous VIP Flight dept experience. You might get into an older Citation or the likes as a P2 to start with, on a low salary and with few benefits, but if you decide that Corporate is what you want to do, then stick with it, the good jobs are out there. Also, don't think of it as a stepping stone to the airlines, you will be very disappointed, it is a different career path and although many pilots do switch between the two, allot go back to their original plan.
My advice would be to get some time instructing or flying TP commuters before risking money on a Biz-Jet type rating without a job offer, furthermore, do the type rating at P1 level when you have sufficient experience, it makes your financial commitment worth a lot more.

G-Dawg
19th Mar 2007, 01:48
yeah not sure where you get the idea that biz jet is a route into airline, it's just as hard if not harder to get into....good luck with everything but its tough out there, get ready for it!!

PPRuNeUser0215
19th Mar 2007, 08:35
Come on guys, give the guy a break...
Corporate can be a way to the airlines because you, as a person can make the difference in order to get a bizjob. But probably unlike the airlines, you ll have to show commitment, dedication and a real interest for th eoperator you hope to join.
If they like you, chances are they ll have you.
For the airlines, it s different. They need pilots and don't place as much importance on the "real you" (although you have to be fairly genuine at the interview). Since you won't have any contact with PAX (most of the time), your customer services skills will only be needed to pass the interview.
Personally I always wanted to fly corporate before airlines but found it nearly impossible to break in the Bizjet world. Not enough contacts perhaps and perhaps many operators thought I would run to the airlines ASAP.
Still, with a job market the way it is at the moment, it is very likely that you can secure yourself an airline position quicker than a corporate one.
If later you change your mind about your job, you can always try again with the Corporate world.
In a way that's what I did and my conclusion is that is is easier to get an airline job then it is easier to get a corporate job on a decent jet once you have done the airline jet thing.
Kind of a not the quickets way in appearance to do what you want but that way I got to do both and I now fly in this part of the industry I really enjoy.
Good luck.
PS: To get a job, any job, there is no rule. What works for one doesn't mean it will for you and vice versa. If you try hard enough though, you should succeed.

G-Dawg
19th Mar 2007, 20:11
Amex, spot on...